• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Came across this interesting graph.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
full

Discuss.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Personally, if there's a god I feel that the panendeistic concept would make the most sense, albeit I would also think that the whole of the universe and everything within it would be a part of god rather than separate from. Also, if it's conscious I don't believe that it would have thought processes, emotional responses, or egos that are similar to those of our simian brains.

Last edited:

RRex

Premium Member
Oh boy. Now I'm confused.

Time to study up.

:)

:(

I don't fit any of those. Now what?

I'm sort of a Deist/Atheist. It's there such a thing?

:confused:

Deitheist?

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Considering that I refer to myself as a "Panentheist", i would say this is relatively accurate. especially since, in many ways, God in Vaishnavism is more of an observer than an intervener.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Does anyone else wonder if people usually keep a consistent stance regarding all eight of those expectations about a deity?

The whole matter feels somewhat overblown to me, personally.

A Vestigial Mote

If I were to adopt a concept of "God" then it looks like pantheism would be my way to go. That is, God literally being the inexorable stuff and laws of the universe.

Jumi

I agree with the pantheist and atheist parts being correct.

Theism should have much more yes/no answers. It seems clear the author was thinking of Christian type monotheism.

Jumi

Oh boy. Now I'm confused.

Time to study up.

:)

:(

I don't fit any of those. Now what?

I'm sort of a Deist/Atheist. It's there such a thing?

:confused:

Deitheist?
Perhaps pandeism? It depends which parts of the chart you would replace with no.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's an interesting take on things, in spite of being very flawed. On the whole, the chart makes way too many assumptions about the additional qualities present in a particular form of theism. Having a "not applicable" category would have helped with that. In pantheism, for example, the column "intervenes in the world" would be better described as "not applicable" or "poorly worded question for this type of theism" than "no."

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There must be some more explanations that accompany the chart.
Uncaused first cause?, transcends? Individual sentience/sapience? Intervenes vs involved in controlling? Aware of life? Dogma permissible vs agnostic/undogmatic? Pantheism vs Pandeism?

Posters here can't even seem to grasp the difference between strong and weak atheism. How are we to make heads or tails of the terms used in the graph, without explanation?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The breakdown into dogmatic and non-dogmatic is one of the most flawed things about that graph, IMHO. Though it makes one wonder what the author actually means by those terms.
I wonder who decides when dogma is "permissible" and when it isn't.

I picture the Grand High Popes of Panendeism and Pantheism both issuing fatwas, one forbidding dogmatism and the other granting permission for it. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
can you provide a link/source? Thanks!

Valjean said:
There must be some more explanations that accompany the chart.
Uncaused first cause?, transcends? Individual sentience/sapience? Intervenes vs involved in controlling? Aware of life? Dogma permissible vs agnostic/undogmatic? Pantheism vs Pandeism?

Posters here can't even seem to grasp the difference between strong and weak atheism. How are we to make heads or tails of the terms used in the graph, without explanation?
http://www.panendeism.org/2015/12/god-qualities-across-different.html