• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling All Atheists

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
I put this in the Comparative section because I don't want to start a debate, I'm just curious.

As atheism is not really a religion persay, I wonder why there are so many atheists in a religious forum. Curiosity about people's beliefs? Nostalgia for a past belief? Disdain for all things relgious and the simple enjoyment of arguing with the devout? Sociological interest?

What makes someone who does not believe in religion frequent a religious forum?

gnomon

CelticRavenwolf said:
I put this in the Comparative section because I don't want to start a debate, I'm just curious.

As atheism is not really a religion persay, I wonder why there are so many atheists in a religious forum. Curiosity about people's beliefs? Nostalgia for a past belief? Disdain for all things relgious and the simple enjoyment of arguing with the devout? Sociological interest?

Know Thy Enemy.

That's a joke. I'm kidding. If you really want to know I first came to this forum after doing a search for debates about evolution on religious forums. This site was one of the top hits. Comparing the debates on this site to the political forum I was active on I decided the level of intelligence on this site is greater and the content is better.

Personally I could have cared less about the religious debates until a discussion about mental illness and demonic possession drew me in for the sake of defending the community of those with mental disorders.

I find the religious debates interesting. I have no desire to disparage anyone of their religious beliefs but will actively pursue any discussion that deals with historical accounts, science or current political and social climate. As far as internal religious debates I've already been burned for sticking my nose in where it didn't belong.

This is also a great resource site since there is a wide variety of religious belief with the accompanying wide variety of historical and cultural knowledge represented by the members.

And sometimes I like to peck a fight.:D

Nanda

Polyanna
Papersock said:
Personal intellectual pursuit.
How can I know what I believe is true if I don't know what other people believe?

Yes! What he said. Plus, I like challenging my own beliefs.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
CelticRavenwolf said:
Curiosity about people's beliefs?

In part.

Nostalgia for a past belief?

No.

Disdain for all things relgious and the simple enjoyment of arguing with the devout?

No.

Sociological interest?

In part.

Mainly, it is to dispell mistaken notions and stigmas about atheists, since many religious people look down on atheists.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Reactions: s2a

Tiberius

CelticRavenwolf said:

Don't confuse a lack of religious belief as a lack of belief about religion.

Also, we know that so many Christians (points at creationists) use plain bad science and even lies to make their point. Someone has to stop them.

Athiesm isn't a religion, but there are athiestic relgions.
It's one of the few subjects I enjoy discussing but only with people who know what they are talking about. And since most of my friends either don't care one way or the other about religion or claim a religion and then not know anything about it, I decided I should seek discussion elsewhere.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Just because I've come to the conclusion that there is no God doesn't mean that I have everything else in life figured out.

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
Thanks to all of you!

I found this to be very informative! I am quite surprised by the variety of responses. good stuff!

I'm certainly glad that you're all here - a voice to represent any position is always welcome - not only for the insight, but I think that faith can certainly be made stronger through constructive challenging.

Heh, I'm surprised that no one has that ever-so-famous line as their signature - "Thank God I'm an atheist!"

Aeiralo

I came for intellectual pursuit.

And because my sister is on the forum, and I wanted to see what she says/argue with her.

No, I'm not telling who she is.

robtex

Veteran Member
CelticRavenwolf said:

curosity about others beliefs, and socialogical interests would be my motives. Alot people are much more honest on the net than they are in real life. I personally think that religion is the largest influence on culture today in most countries and am interested in the driving forces and major ideas of those faiths.

standing_alone

CelticRavenwolf said:

I joined this forum with the intention just to have a go at theists because most of the ones I knew in real life were grade A jerks (and now I'm a mod here, lol). Then most everyone had to be so damn nice (even though I entered like a jerk) :D, so I stayed around and learned quite a few things, got to know some cool people, and, I guess I could say, grew as a person. I like to get into debates and discussions and since this is a pretty large forum, there's usually always something interesting to look through. I've learned quite a bit in my time here. That this religious forum can be a decent tool for learning (and becoming a more tolerant person, I think) is just reason enough for this atheist to frequent it - the frubals don't hurt, either. ;)

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I came to eradicate the world of religion, destroy the crops of Man, and bring an everlasting shadow over the World...

And to further improve my understand of others while learning about myself.

M

Majikthise

I've only been using a computer for a couple of years now.
When I first started using the internet I googled atheism ,as I didn't know any other atheists to relate to,and found Religious Forums. My first contact with these forums was Feathers in Hair (karma). All the other people I met here were wonderful and interesting and helped me learn how to communicate (and behave properly) on the forums.
It wasn't my quest for knowledge that kept me here but the sense of community and general good humor here. I've experimented with other sites but have not found anything that comes close to RF (really ,I'm not brown-nosing!).
Whenever I hear someone ask why an atheist would join a religious website, I feel like I'm from some separate species. Atheists engage in all the same pursuits as any other human being (if you cut us, do we not bleed?). But I've got thick skin and don't let this question cause me any loss of sleep.:sleep: :D

M

Majikthise

Aeiralo said:
I came for intellectual pursuit.

And because my sister is on the forum, and I wanted to see what she says/argue with her.

No, I'm not telling who she is.
Awwww! Come on!:D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Hmm... I saw the title of the thread and thought it was yet another thread by a theist trying to prove to atheists that they're wrong. I was happily surprised to find this pleasant and thoughtful exchange. :) Both the OP and the responses.

Thanks guys. I can go to sleep happy. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Majikthise said:
Whenever I hear someone ask why an atheist would join a religious website, I feel like I'm from some separate species. Atheists engage in all the same pursuits as any other human being (if you cut us, do we not bleed?). But I've got thick skin and don't let this question cause me any loss of sleep.:sleep: :D
I'm sorry you felt marginalized by the question MT. For me it seems like a valid question depending on how it's asked but I can definately see how it would get tiring if you hear it repeatedly.

I think it depends on the assumptions that one makes about what is being discussed here. From a believer's pov, they may come to discuss the finer points of doctrine or religious experience and thus genuinely wonder why a non-believer would be interested. From a non-believer's pov, they may come to discuss the sociological, historical, and political influences of religion, and thus rightly feel that this is something that interests everyone. And obviously ethics and politics are of interest to all.

And now I really am going to sleep. Work at 9am!

M

Majikthise

Thanks lil, I'm ok. I expect the question to be asked now and then as new people pour into this siren-like website. :)
Sweet dreams!:sleep: