• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California To Ban Small Gas Engines

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's right. The end to weak small engines.

The birth of bad *** redneck small engines gone mass distribution.
"Murica!

Okay seriously the article did have one very interesting tidbit:

"Machinery with so-called small off-road engines also includes chain saws, weed trimmers and golf carts, all of which create as much smog-causing pollution in California as light-duty passenger cars, and reducing those emissions is pivotal to improving air quality and combating climate change, proponents of the law said."

That is quite the compliment for current day gasoline powered cars. Cars are extremely clean burning today. Unfortunately it is not feasible to put catalytic converters and very high tech injector into a weed whacker.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Me too. And I just want them for Duck Season.
duck-season-rabbit-season.gif

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"Murica!

Okay seriously the article did have one very interesting tidbit:

"Machinery with so-called small off-road engines also includes chain saws, weed trimmers and golf carts, all of which create as much smog-causing pollution in California as light-duty passenger cars, and reducing those emissions is pivotal to improving air quality and combating climate change, proponents of the law said."

That is quite the compliment for current day gasoline powered cars. Cars are extremely clean burning today. Unfortunately it is not feasible to put catalytic converters and very high tech injector into a weed whacker.
I'm interested if the designers of such policies will actually lead by example.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Chilling.

The road onward to totalitarianism in California is well traveled.

One of the most authoritarian ruled states in the nation with no signs of stopping. A disturbing trend to see in an alleged free country.
Yes, who wants clean air, or to try to avert AGW? Seriously, deniers of progress cause results that are far worse than ones from "Hold my beer!"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm interested if the designers of such policies will actually lead by example.
How do you know that they do not? I have both a gas powered and an electric lawn mower. One thing that I like about the electric is that it is very quiet compared to an IC engine lawn mower. What I do not like about it is that it does not have the same power and one has to watch out for the cord. It is not rechargeable.

Brinne

Sounds like a good start to transformative policy. They've also thought to include funds / assistance for helping businesses transition - so even better.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Also California is ahead of the rest of the US in one other green technology. Not all of their zero emission cars are battery powered.

Any guesses without a Google search?

esmith

Veteran Member
One major problem as stated in the linked article:
Another major expense will be batteries. Bray said a three-person landscaping crew will need to carry 30 to 40 fully charged batteries to power its equipment during a full day’s work.

So, your landscaping company with 3 person crew will require 30 to 40 fully charged batteries.
Let's look at one example
Let say your company uses EGO equipment.
A battery for most of their products uses a 56 volt 2.5 or 5 amp battery
The 2.5 amp battery cost $149.00
The 5.0 amp battery cost $249.00
So for 40 batteries is will cost $5960 for the 2.5 and $9960 for the 5 amp.
The average life span of a lithhum batter is 2-3 years or 300-500 charge cycles.
So every 2-3 years you will have an outlay of from $5960 to $9960 for just batteries....yeah right

Twilight Hue

I am pretty sure those guys aren't mowing a lot of lawns or cutting down trees. I guess they are then.
They are too above that sort of thing of course.

I'll be real interested in seeing what type of landscaping outfits they hire to manage their own property and note if gas or diesel engines are involved.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Another major expense will be batteries. Bray said a three-person landscaping crew will need to carry 30 to 40 fully charged batteries to power its equipment during a full day’s work.

So, your landscaping company with 3 person crew will require 30 to 40 fully charged batteries.
The average life span of a lithhum batter is 2-3 years or 300-500 charge cycles.
So every 2-3 years you will have an outlay of from $5960 to $9960 for just batteries....yeah right

So more people will have to do their own yardwork. Is that such a bad thing? Think of all of the exercise benefits along. You are now sounding like a defender of makers of buggy whips.

Brinne

Curious if you have some insight on a comparison to fuel cost for non-electric equipment.

I did a search and found some answers - but mostly anecdotal on landscaping forums (with costs ranging from $17,000 annual to $3,500). So wondering if anyone has any good insight on that.

Though I guess a point towards electric is there's way less fluctuation in price as compared to gas.

Twilight Hue

Time to check out lobbying from the battery industry.

PureX

Veteran Member
Um....please pay attention to what @9-10ths_Penguin posted....

"By July 1, 2022, the state board shall, consistent with federal law, adopt cost-effective and technologically feasible regulations to prohibit engine exhaust and evaporative emissions from new small off-road engines, as defined by the state board. Those regulations shall apply to engines produced on or after January 1, 2024, or as soon as the state board determines is feasible, whichever is later."​

So the actual regulations haven't even been written yet, and when they are they will only apply to new small engines.

The conservatives need to settle down a bit. Y'all are just too eager to be outraged.
But the mid term elections are coming, and they have to bury us all in as many lies and as much slanderous outrage as possible, to try gain political power by any means possible.

ecco

Veteran Member
In any reasonably upscale neighborhood or condominium complex "yard" work is done by professionals rather than homeowners. That means that any day of the week one has to endure the noise of the mowers, edgers, and blowers. And the smell of unburnt gasoline fumes.

I would welcome electrics.

The people arguing against them are the same ones who screamed bloody murder at the thought of losing their precious incandescent light bulbs.

Luddites.

ETA: Just wait until they ban cattle because of the burps and farts.

ecco

Veteran Member
I'm sure the residents of California are all extremely sorry that those people are leaving.

The results of the recall election should give you a clue as to the mindset of the average Californian. Newsom won by almost 2 to 1. (66.88% to 38.12%)

Twilight Hue

I'm sure the residents of California are all extremely sorry that those people are leaving.

The results of the recall election should give you a clue as to the mindset of the average Californian. Newsom won by almost 2 to 1. (66.88% to 38.12%)
By average I wonder if you mean elite and wealthy.