• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California To Ban Small Gas Engines

Shaul

Premium Member
upload_2021-10-15_17-18-28.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-15_17-18-28.png
    upload_2021-10-15_17-18-28.png
    801.5 KB · Views: 0

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nope. There was no way to know who the roughly two thirds that voted for the Governor of California were. Do you seriously think that two thirds of California is rich? If so I may have to move to that state.
Well those too poor and dependent on goverment policy would vote for its 'benefactors'. I see it structured that way, alongside the wealthy elites with promises for their votes enabled through special interest and lobbying.

That might be the two thirds cumulatively.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well those too poor and dependent on goverment policy would vote for its 'benefactors'. I see it structured that way, alongside the wealthy elites with promises for their votes enabled through special interest and lobbying.

Sorry, but this makes no sense at all. But then I should have known that.

Do you understand the reasons for this new law? Let's see if you can accurately state what they are in your own words.

Twilight Hue

Sorry, but this makes no sense at all. But then I should have known that.

Do you understand the reasons for this new law? Let's see if you can accurately state what they are in your own words.
They are using environmentalism to levy more control over the lives of people.

It's opportunistic and an excuse to tighten the thumbscrews even further, because power and control is a drug for these people.

Classic safety and security over liberty.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
They are too above that sort of thing of course.

I'll be real interested in seeing what type of landscaping outfits they hire to manage their own property and note if gas or diesel engines are involved.
I doubt that they would know which is which.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

It's opportunistic and an excuse to tighten the thumbscrews even further, because power and control is a drug for these people.

What if they are just trying to keep our environment healthy? Shouldn't we do that?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

You appear to lack an understanding of what one's rights are. Tell me, do you have the right to swing your arms wildly around striking other people accidentally while walking down a crowded sidewalk?

Twilight Hue

You appear to lack an understanding of what one's rights are. Tell me, do you have the right to swing your arms wildly around striking other people accidentally while walking down a crowded sidewalk?
Maybe make a good sensible response that even makes a modicum of sense, rather than this ridiculous juvenile and sanctimonious comparison?

ecco

Veteran Member

If you are right, then you and yours don't have a chance in hell of winning any elections. Yay!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Murica!

Okay seriously the article did have one very interesting tidbit:

"Machinery with so-called small off-road engines also includes chain saws, weed trimmers and golf carts, all of which create as much smog-causing pollution in California as light-duty passenger cars, and reducing those emissions is pivotal to improving air quality and combating climate change, proponents of the law said."

That is quite the compliment for current day gasoline powered cars. Cars are extremely clean burning today. Unfortunately it is not feasible to put catalytic converters and very high tech injector into a weed whacker.
Also, most gas-powered lawn equipment uses two-stroke engines, which are inherently significantly dirtier than four-stroke engines (i.e. the kind found in most cars). Two-strokes burn oil by design.

ecco

Veteran Member

If you are right, then you and yours don't have a chance in hell of winning any elections. Yay!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How do you know that they do not? I have both a gas powered and an electric lawn mower. One thing that I like about the electric is that it is very quiet compared to an IC engine lawn mower. What I do not like about it is that it does not have the same power and one has to watch out for the cord. It is not rechargeable.
I grew up using a corded electric mower and we have one now. It works fine, it was cheap to buy, and has very low ongoing costs. It's great.

Twilight Hue

What if they are just trying to keep our environment healthy? Shouldn't we do that?
I'm not against the ideology.

But almost every 'solution' involves exchanging one set of problems for another. Least of which involves the dangers of fire and explosions much less manufacturing and disposal concerns.

Ironic givin California's fire issues as it is.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not against the ideology.

But almost every 'solution' involves exchanging one set of problems for another. Least of which involves the dangers of fire and explosions much less manufacturing and disposal concerns.

Ironic givin California's fire issues as it is.
That is true of every solution to every problem. You run to keep yourself healthy and fit by putting yourself in danger of being run over or mugged.

What you are concerned about is whether the trade is for the stated reasons or if the trade makes more problems than the existing situation.

It is a valid concern.

Gas engines use something that poses a fire, explosion and disposal (environmental contamination) issue already.

From a basic position, the management of widespread use and proliferation of a large carbon production source seems to be a sound idea for a heavily populated state. That is where I am at now.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Also, most gas-powered lawn equipment uses two-stroke engines, which are inherently significantly dirtier than four-stroke engines (i.e. the kind found in most cars). Two-strokes burn oil by design.
I have not seen a two stroke lawn mower in years.. But yes, chainsaws at least tend to be two-stroke. For small engines they tend to have more power. When I was growing up we even had a two-stroke snowmobile.