• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying God

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I guess it's about...faith.

In my system we ask everybody to tithe; in fact, everybody promises TO tithe...and one of the promises (that our system tries very hard to do, actually) is to tell the one doing the tithing that if s/he will tithe, all will be well.

I have proven that myself. Many years ago my husband lost his job and became very ill; he was an epileptic and when he lost his job he also lost his health insurance (and this was before COBRA). We went to our bishop and explained our circumstances. He said....you pay your tithing and everything will be fine.

Everything was. Better than fine, actually.

We paid our tithing (10% of our 'increase,' which wasn't a lot and took a LOT of faith on our part) and the church paid our mortgage, utility bills and groceries. It also took care of Jim's medical care so that he was able to go back to work when the laid off workers were called back.

The thing about tithing is that it is 10% of one's increase...so if disaster strikes so that there is no increase, or little increase, then...????

WE, tithe payers, ended up being on the receiving end.

Which is how our system is supposed to work. Doesn't always, of course, but it COULD....if everybody tithed. ;)

From that point of view, given the church helped me out too rent, clothes, and food, I guess you can say tithing is taxes (which I think it was). If you don't pay your taxes, people, like me, who depend on government assistance won't get our meds and medical care.

When it's religious in nature, though, money sounds a bit off comparing to one's spiritual health. I know Mass isn't based off tithes? (That "you pay your tithing and everything will work find") sounds like that's what it is. I'm sure prayer came first?

arthra

Baha'i
I know the realistic side of needing money for objects; and, on the religious side, how does money fit in to your spiritual belief besides just getting the items you need for practice?
Is your religion or practice based on the money that goes into the sacraments (things held sacred) since without the money, you wouldn't have the objects of worship?

There are no rites in the Baha'i Faith that require money... No priest or minister salaries... If you take a class you might be asked to pay for a manual ... say $5.00... No body approaches you to contribute to the Cause... If you as a Baha'i decide to contribute it's your business... You can buy texts of Baha'i Writings or get them free online... When you marry in the Faith the Assembly will not charge you... You can decide to have the wedding in an expensive setting or not... there are no set fees.

dianaiad

From that point of view, given the church helped me out too rent, clothes, and food, I guess you can say tithing is taxes (which I think it was). If you don't pay your taxes, people, like me, who depend on government assistance won't get our meds and medical care.

When it's religious in nature, though, money sounds a bit off comparing to one's spiritual health. I know Mass isn't based off tithes? (That "you pay your tithing and everything will work find") sounds like that's what it is. I'm sure prayer came first?

Always.

I just heard a 'talk' from one of our religious leaders with a quote that applies here: "the blessings will come. They may come soon, they may come late, they may not come until heaven, but they will come."

Sometimes? The 'it will be fine," or "blessings,' come only in the knowledge that one is doing the 'right thing,' even if nobody else knows about it or thinks so.

As for 'taxes..." well, if we didn't tithe, we wouldn't have mortgage free meetinghouses, beautiful temples or the ability to teach others what our beliefs are.

We don't use tithing for 'welfare' services, though. That's a whole 'nuther thing.

I guess the whole thing is about doing what YOU think is right, and not worrying about what anybody else thinks, isn't it?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I guess it's about...faith.

In my system we ask everybody to tithe; in fact, everybody promises TO tithe...and one of the promises (that our system tries very hard to do, actually) is to tell the one doing the tithing that if s/he will tithe, all will be well.

I have proven that myself. Many years ago my husband lost his job and became very ill; he was an epileptic and when he lost his job he also lost his health insurance (and this was before COBRA). We went to our bishop and explained our circumstances. He said....you pay your tithing and everything will be fine.

Everything was. Better than fine, actually.

We paid our tithing (10% of our 'increase,' which wasn't a lot and took a LOT of faith on our part) and the church paid our mortgage, utility bills and groceries. It also took care of Jim's medical care so that he was able to go back to work when the laid off workers were called back.

The thing about tithing is that it is 10% of one's increase...so if disaster strikes so that there is no increase, or little increase, then...????

WE, tithe payers, ended up being on the receiving end.

Which is how our system is supposed to work. Doesn't always, of course, but it COULD....if everybody tithed. ;)
I am happy for you, if that makes you happy that is all that matters, as i keep saying its up to you to do what you need to do, but please leave those who think differently alone, they maybe closer to god than you.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Tithing is a donation. It's giving or charity. I know not all god-religions have charity and giving; but, can you say that charity and donations have nothing to do with one's walk with god?
Yes it has nothing to do with god, its up to you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I guess the whole thing is about doing what YOU think is right, and not worrying about what anybody else thinks, isn't it?

Pretty much. I think tithing in the bible had to do with taxes. So, I guess to compare, if we were still "Church and state" we'd be tithing to the Church. Though there was a bit of an issue with that and Jesus; so, don't think that went to well.

I have Epilepsy too; so, I understand the issues regarding that. I receive blessings daily :) and I think my family is trying to say "we answer with the little things too."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@psychoslice

The act of giving is a part of a person's walk with god.

The only religion I know that requires tithing is Nichiren Buddhism. Church parishes may vary in how they
Yes it has nothing to do with god, its up to you.

Take out the word tithing.

Donations have nothing to do with your walk with god? I know giving is becoming part of my walk with my family in spirit; but, I can't imagine a religion or religious not have some form of giving with their walk with god or so have you.

dianaiad

I am happy for you, if that makes you happy that is all that matters, as i keep saying its up to you to do what you need to do, but please leave those who think differently alone, they maybe closer to god than you.

Perhaps. In fact, I'm pretty sure that many people ARE 'closer to God' than I am. However, I honestly don't understand your difficulty here. I'm not trying to force YOU to pay tithing. Indeed, all I'm doing here is explaining why I do, and why others might. I didn't bring this up in the first place, psychoslice; you did. You are the one who came in and declared that tithing is just a way to make people feel guilty.

I just defended against the opinion that there is something wrong with tithing (or making other contributions) to churches. If one of us is guilty of 'not leaving other people alone,' I submit that it ain't me. I'm not trying to get you to 'feel guilty' or anything, psychoslice. I'm simply defending my position against the criticism of those who don't want to 'leave those who think differently alone."

IN fact, in terms of leaving those who think differently alone, I humbly submit that the intolerance isn't coming from me to 'those who think differently." It's from others who don't tolerate my thinking differently. After all, I didn't come in here telling people they were all wrong, foolish and going to hell or anything if they didn't pay tithing, did I?

dianaiad

Pretty much. I think tithing in the bible had to do with taxes. So, I guess to compare, if we were still "Church and state" we'd be tithing to the Church. Though there was a bit of an issue with that and Jesus; so, don't think that went to well.

I have Epilepsy too; so, I understand the issues regarding that. I receive blessings daily :) and I think my family is trying to say "we answer with the little things too."

Yeah. epilepsy is no fun; not for you, and not for those who care for you. I'm sorry and I hope that you live well.

BTW, I love the point in your sig. file. ;)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
@psychoslice

The act of giving is a part of a person's walk with god.

The only religion I know that requires tithing is Nichiren Buddhism. Church parishes may vary in how they

Take out the word tithing.

Donations have nothing to do with your walk with god? I know giving is becoming part of my walk with my family in spirit; but, I can't imagine a religion or religious not have some form of giving with their walk with god or so have you.
Well good for you, keep doing what you do.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Perhaps. In fact, I'm pretty sure that many people ARE 'closer to God' than I am. However, I honestly don't understand your difficulty here. I'm not trying to force YOU to pay tithing. Indeed, all I'm doing here is explaining why I do, and why others might. I didn't bring this up in the first place, psychoslice; you did. You are the one who came in and declared that tithing is just a way to make people feel guilty.

I just defended against the opinion that there is something wrong with tithing (or making other contributions) to churches. If one of us is guilty of 'not leaving other people alone,' I submit that it ain't me. I'm not trying to get you to 'feel guilty' or anything, psychoslice. I'm simply defending my position against the criticism of those who don't want to 'leave those who think differently alone."

IN fact, in terms of leaving those who think differently alone, I humbly submit that the intolerance isn't coming from me to 'those who think differently." It's from others who don't tolerate my thinking differently. After all, I didn't come in here telling people they were all wrong, foolish and going to hell or anything if they didn't pay tithing, did I?
Now don't play the I am innocent game, as I say all the time, do what you yourself need to do and keep it to yourself.