• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism and Theism

Theist or Not

• Yes, it's theistic

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No, it's non-theist

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • I honestly don't know/care

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
From what it is you currently know and understand about Buddhism; Is it a theistic or non-theistic practice?

Does Buddhism have deities and other spirits, or is it purely a philisophical position?
Tibetan Buddhism is somewhat theistic but all of these are impermanent. Chan Buddhism more philosophical

firedragon

Veteran Member
From what it is you currently know and understand about Buddhism; Is it a theistic or non-theistic practice?

Does Buddhism have deities and other spirits, or is it purely a philisophical position?

Practice? In practice it varies. For some it's theistic because people turn the Buddha into a deity who listens to their prayers today. That's theism. I am specifically answering your "practice" question.

Also, when you say "Buddhism" in the second question what do you mean? In Jathaka Katha Vaaththu there are many spirits, demons, deities, etc. Read the Nalapana Jathaka. In this life the Bodhisattva was born as a monkey leader who encounters a river demon. It''s rampant.

Even in the Tipitaka in many places God's and Goddesses are mentioned. If you read the Vimana Vaththu you will see so many stories about humans reborn in a heavenly plain or vimaana and they are now deities. Deva and Devathaa. Do you know who "Yama" is? Yama means the controller of Hell. Yama Palla are the minions. Its mentioned in the Tipitaka.

One could interpret all of this as the writers attempt to teach the Buddha's philosophy with similes, but another could interpret it as theism.

That being said, the philosophical aspects of Buddhism from the Tipitaka especially is very vast.

RestlessSoul

Karma means "consequence". Why do you call it an order?

It’s self evident that if actions have consequences there is a causal link, and therefore order, harmony, balance.

While all material phenomena have no fundamental substance and are empty, the correlations (the order) of them do. You will find this philosophy in the writings of Nagarjuna; and among advocates of the relational interpretation of QM.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

From my understanding Buddhists can have/believe/worship deities/spirits but it is not a requirement.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
<...>

"Buddhism includes a wide array of divine beings that are venerated in various ritual and popular contexts. Initially they included mainly Indian figures such as devas, asuras and yakshas, but later came to include other Asian spirits and local gods (like the Burmese nats). They range from enlightened Buddhas to regional spirits adopted by Buddhists or practiced on the margins of the religion. Notably, Buddhism lacks a supreme creator deity."
<...>
Yet another aspect of anatta/emptiness. ;)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Voted no. Buddhism is not theistic in itself but a way of life
I have met Buddhists who don't believe in gods and Buddhists who do have personal gods. Whichever way their life path takes them

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Voted no. Buddhism is not theistic in itself but a way of life
I have met Buddhists who don't believe in gods and Buddhists who do have personal gods. Whichever way their life path takes them

Yeah, I could have, and should have put a "both" option. But I really was interested in what appears to be the secularization of Buddhism in the West. Like using "Mindfulness" in a mental health setting, something the Buddha spoke at length on.

So I left it a dichotomy to see which way people thought to lean.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yeah, I could have, and should have put a "both" option. But I really was interested in what appears to be the secularization of Buddhism in the West. Like using "Mindfulness" in a mental health setting, something the Buddha spoke at length on.

So I left it a dichotomy to see which way people thought to lean.
Swine.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I don't think the lack of a Supreme Creator in Buddhism is an example that denotes Anatta.

The universe doesn't need a Creator for it to be Non-empty.
That's not what I meant. Think about it in a pantheistic context.

ajay0

There are references to deities and gods, but Buddha emphasized self-reliance and a disciplined mind, individual initiative and effort stating that the Buddha nature is there within all sentient beings.

Following are the verses from the dhammapada and buddhist sutras in this regard...

Whatever harm an enemy may do to an enemy, or a hater to a hater, an ill-directed mind inflicts on oneself a greater harm. (Verse 42)

Neither mother, father, nor any other relative can do one greater good than one’s own well-directed mind. (Verse 43)

A disciplined mind brings happiness. (Verse 35)

The non-doing of any evil,the performance of what’s skillful,the cleansing of one’s own mind:This is the Buddhas’ teaching. (Verse 183)

Be a lamp unto yourself, be a refuge to yourself. ~ Mahaparinibbana Sutta

... For a faithful disciple who is intent on fathoming the Teacher's Dispensation, it is natural that he conduct himself thus: 'Willingly, let only my skin, sinews, and bones remain, and let the flesh and blood dry up on my body, but my energy shall not be relaxed so long as I have not attained what can be attained by virile strength [purisa-tthāmena], virile energy [purisa-viriyena
], and virile persistence [purisa-parakkamena]....". ~ Kīṭāgiri Sutta (MN 70)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I disagree and so does a large segment of Buddhist practitioners in east Asia.
I'm sure many do. *grin*

I would recommend the Handbook for Mankind by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu as he addresses the issues involving theism in Buddhism. He was quite a unique Theravada Monk that caught my attention when I was a theist myself before I settled in with practicing Zen.