• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism and Theism

Theist or Not

• Yes, it's theistic

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No, it's non-theist

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • I honestly don't know/care

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
From what it is you currently know and understand about Buddhism; Is it a theistic or non-theistic practice?

Does Buddhism have deities and other spirits, or is it purely a philisophical position?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From what it is you currently know and understand about Buddhism; Is it a theistic or non-theistic practice?

Does Buddhism have deities and other spirits, or is it purely a philisophical position?
Non theistic. Just about every tradition and school.

Usually things like demons and gods are taken metaphorically and not literally for which it serves as symbolic.

Pureland is a good example.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I think there are many different traditions that fall under Buddhism, some are theistic and some are not. And, like Hinduism, you ask 10 different Buddhists and you get 10 different answers.

idea

Question Everything
I think there are many different traditions that fall under Buddhism, some are theistic and some are not. And, like Hinduism, you ask 10 different Buddhists and you get 10 different answers.

It seems to be getting popular for Christians and others to pull Buddhism as a non-theistic philosophy into their belief system. No conflicts between beliefs for those who call it a philosophy.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know a ton on Buddhism, but I suspect that @The Sum of Awe is right. Some Buddhist paths are, some aren't. And some tend to leave the question of "is there, or isn't there" up to the individual, and find the whole argument largely irrelevant.

Twilight Hue

I always call those people Hindus in Buddhist drag.

Twilight Hue

I don't know a ton on Buddhism, but I suspect that @The Sum of Awe is right. Some Buddhist paths are, some aren't. And some tend to leave the question of "is there, or isn't there" up to the individual, and find the whole argument largely irrelevant.
Theism is regarded as an attachment as Buddhist teachings are essentially incompatible with theism.

That's not to say a theist cannot practice but won't be able to be fully realized.

Twilight Hue

It seems to be getting popular for Christians and others to pull Buddhism as a non-theistic philosophy into their belief system. No conflicts between beliefs for those who call it a philosophy.
Yea. It's called taking from the buffet table.

Theists can benefit holistically, but as one put it to me back in 2006, "Drop all beliefs, ye who enter the gate ~less gate"..

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It encompasses a broad range. It is often called a non-theistic religion, but then you have devas floating around in heavenly realms. Take your pick.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Buddhism sometimes refers to the Japanese Kami or the Hindu Devas, certainly.

It also creates some entities and concepts of its own.

But frankly, it is a serious mistake (albeit one commited by many Buddhists) to give much attention to that.

The practice itself isn't even atheistic, but rather apatheistic. It just does not matter whether there are any deities. At times we are even told to sympathise with the plight of deities and semi-deities.

Ultimately, Buddhism (when practiced as I understand it to be correctly practiced) is just all too aware of impermanence and related core concepts of its doctrine to mind deities to any great degree. You may believe in their literal existence if you want to. But that is just a personal preference with hardly any doctrinary weight.

In a single phrase, Buddhism is apatheistic, and sometimes atheistic, but never really theistic.

idea

Question Everything
Yea. It's called taking from the buffet table.

Theists can benefit holistically, but as one put it to me back in 2006, "Drop all beliefs, ye who enter the gate ~less gate"..

It's a good non-confrontaional starting point for many at least :)

I support buffet tables, much better than just one thing to eat.

Twilight Hue

It's a good non-confrontaional starting point for many at least :)

I support buffet tables, much better than just one thing to eat.

It should never be confrontational. Some arguing some debate over things but thats just religion for ya. .

Buddhism is the type of religion that, if you want, bring your God with you as you feel around the place.

I was a theist for a full year after engaging in Buddhist practices before my own God wandered aimlessly off somewhere one day.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Practice is (mostly) non-theistic. You have to purify your own mind. No one else (including gods) can do it for you.

Dhammapada:

165. By oneself is evil done; by oneself is one defiled. By oneself is evil left undone; by oneself is one made pure. Purity and impurity depend on oneself; no one can purify another.

166. Let one not neglect one's own welfare for the sake of another, however great. Clearly understanding one's own welfare, let one be intent upon the good.​

Now, this doesn't mean that Buddhism doesn't recognize other sentient beings that might be known as gods. These beings are subject to delusion, just like any other sentient being, however. Many schools view them as aspects of ones own psyche.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
If you think of God as being the order in the universe then yes Buddhism is theistic in most of its forms, as it seems to teach there is an order to the universe.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'm currently reading a book entitled "Buddhist Goddesses India", so I thought I get the "Western" take on Theistic Buddhism, as I assume most of us are from the US/UK/AUS mostly.

"Buddhism includes a wide array of divine beings that are venerated in various ritual and popular contexts. Initially they included mainly Indian figures such as devas, asuras and yakshas, but later came to include other Asian spirits and local gods (like the Burmese nats). They range from enlightened Buddhas to regional spirits adopted by Buddhists or practiced on the margins of the religion. Notably, Buddhism lacks a supreme creator deity."

Buddhist deities - Wikipedia

Buddhist Goddesses of India by Miranda Shaw

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Of course, if you ask many Japanese, Shinto isn't even a religion. Those ideas just don't have any solid, uncontroversial meanings. It is necessary to understand the contexts and to make serious questions on what they are supposed to mean and how they are supposed to be used.

Unless you choose not to, of course. Which is also ok, once you accept that there isn't any real duty to.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is both. Theist like in Mahayana / Pure Land and atheist like in Hinayana / Theravada. But theism in Buddhism is a later development. Buddha said 'Don't speculate, focus on your current situation'.
If you think of God as being the order in the universe then yes Buddhism is theistic in most of its forms, as it seems to teach there is an order to the universe.
No order, only "karmas' linger. What we do today may affect the future generations.

Last edited: