• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

British Values

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is what was known as tough love.

They must have been indoctrinated. Communists are good at that, but I doubt that things are going to improve under Chinese rule with their values.

oh wow, how delusional. Must have been, you mean you dont know so you guess.

Notanumber

A Free Man
He's not a clue what British Values are; I'm British and have far better values than him. I don't lie to people and take foreign money to fund my fantasies

My biggest disappointment about the upcoming General Election is that Nigel has put the country above his party, which means that I may well be left with no one credible to vote for.

Milton Platt

The UK’s ancestry should be acknowledged for introducing British values into parts of the world like Hong Kong.

I bet they wish we were still there.

Exception to the rule. But I wasn’t trying to paint brits as having nothing positive in their values. Just was saying that it wasn’t all good. And the brits aren’t the only ones who went down that road.

Notanumber

A Free Man
As I was saying, what’s not to like?

With just twenty days to go to the General Election, it was the turn of Nigel Farage to unveil his Brexit Party manifesto, I mean Contract With The People.

"This is not a manifesto," said Nigel Farage as he held up his slimline policy document at its launch, "because." he continued, "a word association test with manifesto gave us the word 'lie'!" And he went on to say that this is unsurprising given the many broken manifesto promises made by political parties that we've seen over the years. And he pressed home his point by saying that political parties have used manifestoes to tell people what they want to hear, without ever having the genuine desire to implement the policies contained within them. And he pointed to his document and said that this was a contract between what he called his party of 'new radicals' and the people - and that fundamentally changing UK politics would be the basis of this contract and his party's campaigning, not just for this general election but also for the 'years to come'. He also said that his party was in it for the long haul and that the aim was genuinely to change politics for good. Now, the first stated aim of the contract is to leave the EU, but this it says is just the first step in a political revolution. "We want fundamental democratic reforms to fix our broken political system and make Parliament serve the People." It says. And other headline policies are to cancel the High Speed 2 (HS2) rail project and slice 50% off the foreign aid budget. And that, together with keeping the £13 billion that we annually give to the EU, would it says: "...form part of a Brexit dividend to invest billions in Britain’s Regions, cut the cost of living, and build a better future for millions of our people." On democracy the contract looks to make the voting system 'more representative'. As well as abolishing the House of Lords. And make MPs who switch parties subject to recall petitions - now that will be popular given the recent musical chairs played by some MPs. The postal voting system will be completely overhauled to combat electoral fraud and abuse. and they will "Reform the Supreme Court," saying that, Then there's the promise to make the civil service more accountable to the public. And require universities to protect free speech. There will also be a system for holding referendums if 5 million people call for one, but with a time limit on holding another referendum on the same subject. Now, it also says that the BBC licence fee would be phased out and Nigel Farage in his speech said it would happen over time. But surprisingly there's no direct mention of actually shutting it down, or making it a fully private outfit or making it self funding through advertising. The party also says it will stop charging interest on student loans, scrap the 50% target for everyone to go to university and abolish Inheritance Tax (IHT). And its green policy is to plant millions of trees and recycle waste here in the UK and not export it to be burnt or dumped at sea. And on the NHS it says: "The NHS must remain a publically-owned, comprehensive service that is free at the point of use. Your postcode should not determine your care or health." and also that: "There should be no privatisation of the NHS; where existing private initiatives have failed to deliver we will return them to public ownership." They will also look to remove the requirement for a degree to become a nurse, as well as introduce 24 hour GP services so as to reduce the strain on Hospital Accident and Emergency departments. Now, you might remember that I talked a few days ago about Brussels demanding that we front up with a name for a fresh EU Commissioner, preferably female, to get approved to start work with Ursula von der Leyen's new Commission on the 1st of December. And, having already started treaty infringement proceeding against us over this, we were given the deadline of today to comply with the order. But it seems we haven't yet done so.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
As I was saying, what’s not to like?

With just twenty days to go to the General Election, it was the turn of Nigel Farage to unveil his Brexit Party manifesto, I mean Contract With The People.

"This is not a manifesto," said Nigel Farage as he held up his slimline policy document at its launch, "because." he continued, "a word association test with manifesto gave us the word 'lie'!" And he went on to say that this is unsurprising given the many broken manifesto promises made by political parties that we've seen over the years. And he pressed home his point by saying that political parties have used manifestoes to tell people what they want to hear, without ever having the genuine desire to implement the policies contained within them. And he pointed to his document and said that this was a contract between what he called his party of 'new radicals' and the people - and that fundamentally changing UK politics would be the basis of this contract and his party's campaigning, not just for this general election but also for the 'years to come'. He also said that his party was in it for the long haul and that the aim was genuinely to change politics for good. Now, the first stated aim of the contract is to leave the EU, but this it says is just the first step in a political revolution. "We want fundamental democratic reforms to fix our broken political system and make Parliament serve the People." It says. And other headline policies are to cancel the High Speed 2 (HS2) rail project and slice 50% off the foreign aid budget. And that, together with keeping the £13 billion that we annually give to the EU, would it says: "...form part of a Brexit dividend to invest billions in Britain’s Regions, cut the cost of living, and build a better future for millions of our people." On democracy the contract looks to make the voting system 'more representative'. As well as abolishing the House of Lords. And make MPs who switch parties subject to recall petitions - now that will be popular given the recent musical chairs played by some MPs. The postal voting system will be completely overhauled to combat electoral fraud and abuse. and they will "Reform the Supreme Court," saying that, Then there's the promise to make the civil service more accountable to the public. And require universities to protect free speech. There will also be a system for holding referendums if 5 million people call for one, but with a time limit on holding another referendum on the same subject. Now, it also says that the BBC licence fee would be phased out and Nigel Farage in his speech said it would happen over time. But surprisingly there's no direct mention of actually shutting it down, or making it a fully private outfit or making it self funding through advertising. The party also says it will stop charging interest on student loans, scrap the 50% target for everyone to go to university and abolish Inheritance Tax (IHT). And its green policy is to plant millions of trees and recycle waste here in the UK and not export it to be burnt or dumped at sea. And on the NHS it says: "The NHS must remain a publically-owned, comprehensive service that is free at the point of use. Your postcode should not determine your care or health." and also that: "There should be no privatisation of the NHS; where existing private initiatives have failed to deliver we will return them to public ownership." They will also look to remove the requirement for a degree to become a nurse, as well as introduce 24 hour GP services so as to reduce the strain on Hospital Accident and Emergency departments. Now, you might remember that I talked a few days ago about Brussels demanding that we front up with a name for a fresh EU Commissioner, preferably female, to get approved to start work with Ursula von der Leyen's new Commission on the 1st of December. And, having already started treaty infringement proceeding against us over this, we were given the deadline of today to comply with the order. But it seems we haven't yet done so.

Are you really convinced by this populist nonsense? Really? Il Duce Farage with his beer-swilling pretence. Really?!

Altfish

Veteran Member
If you honestly believe what you are saying, where does that leave Corbyn and his supporters?
Disenfranchised as I keep telling you.

It is interesting though that you can't defend 'your side' you just try to deflect by throwing insults at the 'other side'

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
If you honestly believe what you are saying, where does that leave Corbyn and his supporters?

I prefer Corbinista Castro to Il Duce Faragio.

And don't start me on that Trump mini-me, Dodgy Delboy Johnson.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
"British values used to be the yardstick of freedom" Then why was it an empire that colonized other countries and oppressed other people around the world? Maybe it became that yardstick later?

British "values" often only applied to the Isles. Much like Britain's anti-slavery laws only applying to the Isles for years.