• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

British people guess how much US healthcare costs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Brits pay for their healthcare. 12% of earning every week, every month, every year throughout your life whether you are ill or not.

For that healthcare is guaranteed if you dont mind waiting, often months or more for your intervention.

Does that add up to more than you pay?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Brits pay for their healthcare. 12% of earning every week, every month, every year throughout your life whether you are ill or not.

For that healthcare is guaranteed if you dont mind waiting, often months or more for your intervention.

I believe @Augustus is up on this and it came to not even half.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
British model of healthcare exists only in Spain, Italy, Portugal and Scandinavia...besides UK

Speaking of Europe

thygqppzhyz21.jpg

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
There are always ill people. Always. When you accept that you are not paying into a personal system, but are actually paying into a collective system that treats and serves millions of people every day, and that - at some point in your life - you are guaranteed to need, pointing this out is basically a non-argument. At least, not for people who see beyond pure, cynical self-interest.

I mean, you pay for roads with your taxes, but you don't use all the road all of the time, do you? But the fact is that the roads not only exist for personal use by you, but as a collective benefit for use by ALL people that benefits you in a myriad of ways - even if you never use them. The NHS is no different.

Also, in overall terms, a British citizen spends far, far less per capita on healthcare than a US citizen does, and it takes up less of our GDPR.
SOURCE: Reality Check: Does UK spend half as much on health as US?

That depends entirely on your personal need. Are there problems with wait times on the NHS? Of course (although a large part of that is due to significant shortages in funding from our apathetic Conservative government who actively try to gut the NHS every chance they get). But if you are in need of emergency medical treatment, you get it. And there's no massive bill waiting for you when you wake up that will potentially (in fact, quite likely) bankrupt you. Couple this with the fact that, overall, the American healthcare system is actually vastly worse than the NHS in many important areas (such a infant mortality and preventable diseases), and having to wait a little longer for treatment doesn't seem like a serious, good-faith concern.
SOURCE: Health Care System Performance Rankings | Commonwealth Fund

Yes.

Rather than having a system that the majority of our citizens can't use, and that often bankrupts those who do, it's worth infinitely more.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
There are always ill people. Always. When you accept that you are not paying into a personal system, but are actually paying into a collective system that treats and serves millions of people every day, and that - at some point in your life - you are guaranteed to need, pointing this out is basically a non-argument. At least, not for people who see beyond pure, cynical self-interest.

I mean, you pay for roads with your taxes, but you don't use all the road all of the time, do you? But the fact is that the roads not only exist for personal use by you, but as a collective benefit for use by ALL people that benefits you in a myriad of ways - even if you never use them.

Also, in overall terms, a British citizen spends far, far less per capita on healthcare than a US citizen does, and it takes up less of our GDPR.
SOURCE: Reality Check: Does UK spend half as much on health as US?

That depends entirely on your personal need. Are there problems with wait times on the NHS? Of course (although a large part of that is due to significant shortages in funding from our apathetic Conservative government who actively try too gut the NHS every chance they get). But if you are in need of emergency medical treatment, you get it. And there's no massive bill waiting for you when you wake up that will potentially (in fact, quite likely) bankrupt you.

Yes.

Rather than having a system that the majority of our citizens can't use, and that often bankrupts those who do, it's worth infinitely more.

I do agree with you, i am a great believer in the concept of the NHS

What i am saying, i thought was clear, the NHS is there (at the moment) if you need it or not. I know if several, elderly people who tell me they have never been in hospital. And i know people who would not be alive today without it.

Yes funding is a problem, that £350 million a week would have come in very handy but hey, Boris was only joking. And waiting list get longer as the NHS is run down or sold off. And with medical staff fleeing the uk before brexit those waiting lists get longer.

Even emergency treatment is limited with long waiting times with people waiting in corridors for hours, often in pain. The ambulance service has become a joke, again through lack of finance and staff.

Yes it's worth more but its crumbling

But my point was, the average brit will pay around £135000 ($175000) in national insurance throughout their life. What does the average American spend on healthcare?

Laika

Premium Member
-The link to video-

What are your thoughts?

I can't say what I really feel, but the idea you have to pay $2,500 to get an ambulance to visit you and a lot of the other stuff in that video is like hearing you strip naked, have incestuous relations within you own family members in public, whilst living in your own filth and excrement and fighting over table scraps from food and water shortages.

That's how far outside the spectrum of civilised you are. It make me feel violent. :eek:

That's legally as close as I can get to saying how I feel. I really don't know if I can legally say anything beyond that.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
But my point was, the average brit will pay around £135000 ($175000) in national insurance throughout their life. What does the average American spend on healthcare?
Where on earth are you getting that figure from? The estimates I've found place per capita spending per person in the UK at around $4,000, whereas American spending is over $10,000 per capita.
SOURCE: Health resources - Health spending - OECD Data

Are you assuming that the entirety of our taxable income is going to the NHS?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Privatized healthcare in the U.S. is an inflated, predatory racket, and thrives because dopes are duped into voting against their own interests.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Where on earth are you getting that figure from? The estimates I've found place per capita spending per person in the UK at around $4,000, whereas American spending is over $10,000 per capita.
SOURCE: Health resources - Health spending - OECD Data

Are you assuming that the entirety of our taxable income is going to the NHS?

12% of average lifetime income
No assumption. National insurance is 12% of income between £166 and £962 per week, i think that covers the vast majority of wage earners.

Of course there are those not earning a wage and children not taken in to account.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
12% of average lifetime income
No assumption. National insurance is 12% of income between £166 and £962 per week, i think that covers the vast majority of wage earners.

Of course there are those not earning a wage and children not taken in to account.
But not all of our national insurance goes to the NHS. Again, see the actual spending on the NHS per capita I've linked to.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I can't say what I really feel, but the idea you have to pay $2,500 to get an ambulance to visit you and a lot of the other stuff in that video is like hearing you strip naked, have incestuous relations within you own family members in public, whilst living in your own filth and excrement and fighting over table scraps from food and water shortages.

That's how far outside the spectrum of civilised you are. It make me feel violent. :eek:

That's legally as close as I can get to saying how I feel. I really don't know if I can legally say anything beyond that.

There are countless Americans who've been financially ruined by medical debt or who are forgoing critical care because they can't afford it, but still oppose universal healthcare because they've been brainwashed into believing that it will magically turn the U.S. into the U.S.S.R.

Laika

Premium Member
There are countless Americans who've been financially ruined by medical debt or who are forgoing critical care because they can't afford it, but still oppose universal healthcare because they've been brainwashed into believing that it will magically turn the U.S. into the U.S.S.R.

I can't find the words to say what I want, so I'll have to let this clip do the job for now...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I agree with all the unexpressed expletives about our criminal health care system that exists to profit the few and screw the many.

The choice is not between our terrible system feeding the profits of the few on the misery of many and the British NHS system. There are other decent models out there. ANY civilized nation's health care system would be better than ours.

And now those who get fat on the misery of many are mounting an extremely well-funded campaign to make sure that their profits are not threatened by measures designed to reign in out of control costs.

After all, there's nothing more important than billionaires making additional billions of dollars, is there.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
-The link to video-

What are your thoughts?
Wait? You Americanstanis have to pay for a ****ing ambulance?!!! A goddamned ambulance? Do you also have to pay fire fighters to save your house? And to hold your own baby you have to pay money for that? And to give birth in a hospital even?!!!
upload_2019-12-4_10-32-40.gif

I’ll never complain about Medicare wait times ever again!

Flame

Beware
Wait? You Americanstanis have to pay for a ****ing ambulance?!!! A goddamned ambulance? Do you also have to pay fire fighters to save your house? And to hold your own baby you have to pay money for that? And to give birth in a hospital even?!!!
View attachment 34880

I’ll never complain about Medicare wait times ever again!

My neighbor recently had an accident that required him to be medvac'd to a larger hospital. His medvac bill alone was $18,000.