• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

British people guess how much US healthcare costs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I got sent for a cancer investigation in 2017 and underwent 11 different tests in 4 weeks. When the results cleared me my doctor put me in for circulation and heart tests, all sorted in a further three weeks. So fast, so good. Cost? Nothing!!!!

Does you 12% of wages figure also cover graduated pension? I think it does.

If you don't like the service then fair enough, but I think it's very good, and my grad pension is very good as well.

I think it's a wonderful institution and the service is as good as they can make it given an impossible situation.
I hate that it's under financed, being sold off to private enterprise and what's left being run down. That brexit has got trained staff so scared they are leaving the country in droves. The NHS has just got funding to advertise for replacement staff, it takes 2 years to train a nurse, between 5 and 16 years for a doctor.

And that under staffing means waiting lists for less urgent treatment can be months or more.

My mother needed a new hip, waiting time from her MDs word go to the op, 10 months. A complete success and she now gets about very well.

Similar for an aunt.

I had a benign growth on my tongue, from dentist contacting the hospital to the op, 19 months (yes that was nineteen).

Actually i revised it down to 10% using a different calculation. And that is entirely NHS funding

...But nobody has addressed the benefits of wealthy industries having the money to research the next great product, a trait pronounced through capitalism.

You are still confusing the rent seeking for capitalism. You pay more for your drugs because of rent seeking, Europeans pay less because of capitalism (i.e. they buy for the market price, not an artificially inflated one)

Now that I'm back from work, I can answer this.

The data in that article shows that the US is far from the most innovative nation. It is all based on a very dishonest statistical sleight of hand.

Using the EU as the unit of 'per capita' comparison, particularly at 2009 population is pure sophistry. Might as well lump in South America with the USA to water down its numbers.

Much of the EU was in the communist bloc during the period used and, unsurprisingly hasn't been at the forefront of cutting edge innovation in the transition period. 75 million of the population only joined the EU in 2004.

You can also deduct probably 150 million population further from EU countries that have not really contributed anything (Spain, Italy, etc).

So the EU number is artificially bloated by countries that have had no innovations, if we took only the populations of the countries that have significantly contributed (mostly UK, Germany, France, Sweden, Switzerland), the population is much less than the US.

If we take individual countries, then the UK, Switzerland and Sweden all beat the US in the per capita metrics they have used.

Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 12.50.48.png

Medical innovations: USA 20, UK 7, Switz 2, Swe 2
Population adjusted: USA (307m) 20, UK (61m) 35 Swe (9m) 68, Switz (8m) 77

Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 12.50.36.png

Pharma innovations country comparisons: USA 16, UK 8, Sweden 3
Population adjusted: USA 16, UK 40, Swe 102

Far from the US corporate rent seeking promoting innovation, it seems to be restricting it, at least compared to the market leading Swiss, Swedes and Brits.

[at least if we follow your logic, I consider the whole concept of these 'per capita innovations' somewhat flawed]

I want you to see the whole picture, and not just the parts that win a debate.

In that case do you accept that, according to the report you cited, the UK, Sweden and Switzerland do more per capita than the US, and so we can't make a good case that Americans getting suckered by corporate rent seekers is actually some form of noble self-sacrifice for the good of the world?

Using your analogy, aren't these nations the real Jesuses nobly carrying the cross for you Americans?

Last edited: