• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breast implants: For or against

Breast implant cosmetic surgery

• Total voters

trdash

I thought about starting a debate on this subject, but thought that a good discussion with multiple people might be better. May I ask that people wait to vote on the poll until a good discussion occurs?

I am opposed to cosmetic surgery in general, but especially to breast implants and am looking for some good Christian conversation on this topic. At the outset, however, I want to clarify the difference between cosmetic surgery (which I oppose) and reconstructive surgery (which I support). Just by way of information, I am a male in his later 30’s.

Reconstructive surgery repairs body parts due to illness, accident, and medical abnormalities. As such I support breast reconstructive surgery when women have had a mastectomy or facial surgery if someone is burned or was born disfigured. Again, I support reconstructive surgery. Cosmetic surgery is the augmentation of functioning body parts, such as a woman with smaller breasts that wants larger ones or a man with a perfectly functioning nose who wants a different shaped nose. I oppose cosmetic surgery.

Breast implants are becoming a very common cosmetic surgery. My rationale for opposing them, based on both Christian values and health psychology research evidence, is below.

First, Savior taught to see the insides of others, not the outside. I believe the very act of getting a breast implant is based on the worldly view that female worth is located by breast size. In the world, “real” woman have “larger” breasts. As such, women with smaller breasts or women who had mastectomies are then labeled in society as “less than.” This in turn, causes them to dislike themselves and question their worth. We need to act like the Savior and I do not think he could support the view that breast size equates female worth. I think the Savior (and therefore Christian people) should see inner attributes of female worth – such as kindness, humility, meekness, intelligences, a strong work ethic, service and so forth. By getting or supporting breasts implants, it send a worldly message -- non-purposeful -- that women with smaller breasts are “less than.”

Further, the underlying ideology behind breast implants is that female worth is based on being a sex objects, more or less for the male gaze. Sexual objectification is being made into a thing for others’ sexual use, rather than seen as a person with the capacity for independent action and decision making or valued due to other characteristics (e.g., intelligence, hard work ethic, sense of humor). Although some women may report that the decision to have cosmetic surgery breast implants was taken independently of pressure from sexual partner, it is impossible to separate women’s choices in this matter from cultural influence, which is primarily pressure from men. The destructive health consequences of the sexual objectification of women are well document both in the media and by the American Psychological Association (I could not post the URL’s internet links, this website would not allow me – but I can provide them if needed). Women treated as sex objects leads to a host other health concerns, such as eating disorders, depression, and so forth. At the end of the day, though, men, I think more so than women, need to stop sexually objectifying women, so that breast implants surgeries (which is an act of sexually objectifying oneself) can end.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I support implants because I figure if we get to a point where enough women are marching around with them, my natural breasts will become something of a precious rarity. :p

Okay, seriously...I'm in the middle. On one hand, I agree with the phrase,

...it is impossible to separate women’s choices in this matter from cultural influence...
How many women out there flaunt their chests because it attracts a man's attention? I couldn't give you a number, but I'm sure there are at least a few. And while attracting attention itself isn't bad, having invasive surgery (and risking possible complications) to increase one's chances of attracting attention is a pretty big step.

On the other hand, I love to play with make up, color my hair, and wear pretty clothes. One could argue I'm doing that for others, but really, I just enjoy playing dress-up. So if I can have fun with eyeliner and lipstick, why can't a woman have fun with brand new C-cups?

Last edited:

trdash

Anne:
First off, thank you for your reply. Great joke! And it might be real, natural breasts will become a rarity!

On the serious side, Dr. Virginia Blums book titled “Flesh wounds” outlines how many plastic surgeons and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons used covert marketing in popular and health magazine to cause women (and men) to dislike their bodies – it’s good for business. But worse, she outlines that the American Society of Plastic Surgeons is actually trying to have people believe that breast implants are just like coloring one’s hair or getting lipstick. But there is a HUGE difference. Breast implants are a surgery that still has serious side effects, such as bleeding and infections, and the long term side effects of breast implants are unknown. There still is a small margin of death associated with this surgery and there are usually numerous follow up surgeries to repair flaws. There are also the mental health aspects and there are studies that clearly outline those sometime women will use breast implants surgeries to deal with more serious mental health issues (e.g., association of breast implants with eating disorders of body dysmporphic disorder).

Second, it socializes women (and men) to actual think that bigger breasts are better, and women with larger breasts are “less than.” It hurts the ideological definition of femininity – that men and women really act upon in everyday life (e.g., a woman with smaller breasts being mocked at a local swimming pool or beach). I see the breast implant issue as one that denotes a situation where a group of individuals, each acting in their own individual best interest (e.g., breast implants), find that the collective effect of their independently logical actions is actually a societal negative (e.g., reinforcement of a societal norm that “real” women have larger breasts, women are sex objects, and those women with smaller breasts are “less than”). Women who get breast implants, and supporting men, hurt women in general and reinforce the sexual objectification of women, in general. We need to look beyond our own desires (e.g., men who prefer larger breasts need to change their thinking because of the harm it can cause or woman who want to have more fun with their own breasts need to think of the societail implications of their thinking)).

Third, in many ways, Dr. Blum contends, plastic surgery is exploitation under the false banner of personal empowerment. I honestly wonder sometimes if most (or possible any) cosmetically oriented breast implants is manipulation/exploitation of women. It is big business and can be female exploitation.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Third, in many ways, Dr. Blum contends, plastic surgery is exploitation under the false banner of personal empowerment. I honestly wonder sometimes if most (or possible any) cosmetically oriented breast implants is manipulation/exploitation of women. It is big business and can be female exploitation.
It is big money. :yes: Dr. Blum's assessment is definitely worth considering.

As a small chested woman, I can say that the pressure to have a bigger chest is out there. When I was younger and more impressionable, being on the small side bothered me greatly. I didn't give in and have breast augmentation, but I can't say I didn't think about it.

The dusty lightbulb in my head finally flickered on, and I went out and found myself a guy who appreciates a nice butt. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
I voted for them because like so many things they're a harmless option. If a woman wants to get them, Fine. If not, fine.

trdash

Anne:

In no way to I EVER want to undermines the feelings of women with small breasts. I think it’s very common for women with small breasts to feel sensitive about them and I have disdain for selfish men who think that bigger breasts are better. Although both, it is more men, than women, who are at fault for women desiring to get breast implants. And as stated in another thread, breasts are front and center in society even when women dress modestly., which is different for men (I have often thought how men who desire larger breasts might change their tune if erect penis size was front and center in society – maybe they would develop more empathy).

But at the end of the day, I think women who get breast implants actual harm other women – although I know their intentions are not focused on this. And at the end of the day, I have personally always thought that women who accept the way they are – such as a small breasted women who still goes out to the beach or local swimming pool in a swimsuit – are strong and independent women and I find strong women more attractive – any day – than women who jump on a bandwagon of breast implants.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
(I have often thought how men who desire larger breasts might change their tune if erect penis size was front and center in society – maybe they would develop more empathy
Heh. I cannot remember the title, but there was some hoopla over a movie starring Colin Farrel that featured him in a full frontal nude scene.

Apparently, he's packin' some serious heat. Either that, or they enhanced things for the camera. Anywho, it was reported (I was not there) that several men objected to this scene. They put up such a fuss, it was said to have been cut from the movie completely.

I don't know if it was in fact cut, but I found the idea of guys being ruffled by it quite funny. Welcome to our world, boys. :D

I think we ladies should start a restaurant chain called "Wieners". Nah...that doesn't sound manly enough. I'd have to think about this a bit more. It would of course feature male servers who share a certain characteristic.

And hot wings.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Unless we're talking reconstructive surgery, I'm generally not a fan of breast implants. I'm not going to stop a woman from getting them if she wants them, but I'd hate the idea of a woman undergoing surgery out of some idea that it's what I want.

I think we ladies should start a restaurant chain called "Wieners". Nah...that doesn't sound manly enough. I'd have to think about this a bit more. It would of course feature male servers who share a certain characteristic.

And hot wings.
A Toronto radio station has an annual concert called "Sausage Fest"; you could steal the name. :D

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
A Toronto radio station has an annual concert called "Sausage Fest"; you could steal the name. :D
smiley-laughing002.gif
Oh, that rocks!

Hearing only "sausage," my husband would make a bee-line for any restaurant with that name. Whether or not he'd be offended by the theme would depend on if there really was great sausage on the actual menu.

trdash

Heh. I cannot remember the title, but there was some hoopla over a movie starring Colin Farrel that featured him in a full frontal nude scene.

Apparently, he's packin' some serious heat. Either that, or they enhanced things for the camera. Anywho, it was reported (I was not there) that several men objected to this scene. They put up such a fuss, it was said to have been cut from the movie completely.

I don't know if it was in fact cut, but I found the idea of guys being ruffled by it quite funny. Welcome to our world, boys. :D

And hot wings.

Anne:
In all seriousness, as much as think the sexual objectification of women is a bad societal and person thing (which really does create real harm), I have often wondered if men were more sexually objectified what would happen. “Wieners” could be a restaurant chain with men in Speedo’s and then these men can see what it would be like.

However, although I think this would be hilarious, and think men can see what it is like to see other men naked on the movie screens (and I’m 100% heterosexual) – in all honesty, I think the end result would be negative. Men can’t handle this sort of stuff and would be mortally wounded. And as soon as penis augmentation surgery would become safe, they would be lined up for blocks! It would really cause harm because men do not, generally speaking, have the inner strength of women (although as more and more women get breast implants I am seriously wondering how many women have inner strength also). So, although it’s a fun thought, I do not think it would do any good.

I think the better idea is for both men and women to be more modest in their dress or go the European model of more general nudity (such as nude beaches). However, from a Christian perceptive, dressing more modestly is the better choice in my mind. Revealing clothes, such a bikini tops and speedo’s, does cause more sexual interest. Although I have to admit it would be hilarious to see how men reacted to a “wieners” restaurant chain, it would be a poor choice.

If you find out, let me know what the movie was called. I have heard Sarah marshal caused quite a ruckis.

trdash

smiley-laughing002.gif
Oh, that rocks!

Hearing only "sausage," my husband would make a bee-line for any restaurant with that name. Whether or not he'd be offended by the theme would depend on if there really was great sausage on the actual menu.

:eat:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I'd like to be against breast implants. But I'd also be okay with being somewhere in the middle of breast implants.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I think its of benefit to some Women who are conscious of size and gives them confidence,i'm not bothered either way really.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Debating boobs, really? I am against cosmetic surgery when a woman feels that it will bring then self-esteem. Physicians who do breast enhancements call this "beauty enhancement" however I find that these surgeons largely make their money on the social pressures of beauty and low self-esteem of.women.

Dezzie

I voted; Unsure.

I personally don't really care if others get a boob job... but... I also feel like people should just love themselves the way they are. It's sad to me that some people aren't happy with themselves.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I prefer natural big boobs, but don't care if women want breast implants. I do look at it from a "survival" position though.
Most males are attentive to female breasts and usually the "curvier" a female looks, the more attractive they seem to our primitive self for child rearing purposes. That's to the average male.
For the rich male, it's about having a trophy wife.
Females that do it usually do it for getting more attention, IMO, but for the overall purpose of the attention will vary. There are just some who get them to find a man who has money and ensures she's set for life without much struggle. There are some who have had children and had fantastic perky boobs, but breast feeding made them saggy now.
Whatever the reason, breast implants really aren't that big of an issue unless the person getting them really can't afford them.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm not a big fan of breast implants. I'd rather have natural ones. My wife's are not big, but they are a good size. I'd much, much rather her have them than get fake ones.

I think it’s very common for women with small breasts to feel sensitive about them and I have disdain for selfish men who think that bigger breasts are better.

There's nothing wrong or selfish about thinking big breasts are better. I find them more attractive. That doesn't mean women without them can't be attractive and should enhance themselves.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
How do you think a woman with smaller breasts might feel by your statement?

The same way a guy with a smaller penis would feel about a woman saying she prefers big penises. Are people not supposed to have physical preferences now?