• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breast implants: For or against

Breast implant cosmetic surgery

• Total voters

trdash

lol you talk as if us men are free from pressure to be good looking like male models in Abercrombie & Fitch ads.

Nor talk about whos penis is the biggest. Ever went to high school? lol

JaconEzra:

In regard to post 445 let me just explain my thinking a little more.

I think breast implants hurts all people. Research looking at the long term physical health effects of breast implants is still pretty undecided. In a very literal sense, women who get breast implants today are guinea pigs, but guineas pigs that make other people pretty rich by exploiting human vulnerabilities.

Breast implants hurt other women because it reinforces the societal view that female worth is located by breast size and image. As more and more women get breast implants, it locates smaller breasts as less and less adequate. Sadly, there is breast size competition in society, driven more by men, than women – but when women get breast implants they are supporting the view that breast size is paramount. And in my mind, although I find my wife’s breast to be wonderful, they are wonderful because they are hers – not related to size, be it larger or small.

Third, its harms men because it further reinforces a male disease of female sexual objectification. More men (cro-magnum type of men) than not prefer women with larger breasts and as weaker-minded women support this through breast implants surgery – rather than highlight real strengths by resisting this and simply accepting their size— more and more men think it’s ok and will expect a certain breast size. It adds more fuel to a male disease fire.

In regard to post 448, which is where the quotation is from – I think you are missing my point (which I do not blame you since there is so much writing on this topic). Sadly, I think more men than not prefer women with larger breasts. Wonderfully, I think more women than not could care less about penis size. Men, more so than women, care about penis size (and breast size). In everyday society people can judge breast size to a certain degree (even when a woman dresses modest) but it is difficult to judge penis size for two reasons. First, general clothing covers its size for the most part. Second, erect size is impossible to know, unless in sexual types of events (and there is no correlation between flaccid and erect size).
Of course, men are not pressure free related to overall body image or penis size – but this is more of a pressure that men put on men, that women do not (or to a much lesser degree). In general, men put pressure on women to have larger breasts, but women do not put pressure on men to have larger penises.

In your quotation of me (post 448) I was wondering out loud if there were societal events that sexually objectified men – as is common in everyday society(e.g., Hooters restaurant) – if this might cause men to experience sexual humiliation and could be used as a spring board to teach them regarding how brutal they are to women. I am not talking about private sorority types of sexual activities that sexually objectify men that are hidden – but every day events. I thought a restaurant called something like “wieners” (although correctly Anne thought a better name could be “sausages”) with men in Speedo that sold really good food (sausages, for example) could parallel Hooter’s restaurant. That is why on another thread I also wondered out loud how men might think and feel if to see a female stripper they would have to go to a mixed gender stripper event.

That is what I was referring too; I was not suggesting men are free from such pressures. And although I think seeing such a social experiment might be interesting, in the end. I can’t justify because two wrongs do not make a right.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
I read enough of this thread to know that I agree with several other posters on several points:

1. Women should have the right to beautify themselves as they please
2. It's a shame women feel pressured to conform to a certain standard of beauty.

I am personally against breast implants, because I am against ANY kind of unnecessary surgery. Surgery is always an invasive process against the body; just the risk of infection is daunting to consider. Thanks to advances in medicine, surgery has become much safer; but we have reached a point of too often treating it with a cavalier attitude, which I find foolish and dangerous.

Surgery is a blessing for those who need it; for those who do not need it, I would urge gratitude for that fact.

That said, I do support freedom of choice. If you as a woman understand the risks and choose to undergo elective cosmetic surgery, I wouldn't try to stop you. However, I'd also expect that having made that choice, you understand the potential consequences.

Personally, I prefer moderately large breasts (pretty much like mine, as it happens); but I find obvious implants repulsive. I also prefer large penises. None of this reflects any moral lack or quality on me, it merely reflects my aesthetic tastes. It's always a mistake to ascribe morals to issues of aesthetics; so I find it silly to accuse people of being 'selfish' because they have a definite set of sensual qualities they prefer.

But that's another thread. :)

Walkntune

I guess women should have the right if they choose but I think women who are real tend to want to keep things real. I would not assume fake boobs will attract a real guy either.I real guy will be more into your heart.

trdash

I read enough of this thread to know that I agree with several other posters on several points:

1. Women should have the right to beautify themselves as they please
2. It's a shame women feel pressured to conform to a certain standard of beauty.

I am personally against breast implants, because I am against ANY kind of unnecessary surgery. Surgery is always an invasive process against the body; just the risk of infection is daunting to consider. Thanks to advances in medicine, surgery has become much safer; but we have reached a point of too often treating it with a cavalier attitude, which I find foolish and dangerous.

Surgery is a blessing for those who need it; for those who do not need it, I would urge gratitude for that fact.

That said, I do support freedom of choice. If you as a woman understand the risks and choose to undergo elective cosmetic surgery, I wouldn't try to stop you. However, I'd also expect that having made that choice, you understand the potential consequences.

Personally, I prefer moderately large breasts (pretty much like mine, as it happens); but I find obvious implants repulsive. I also prefer large penises. None of this reflects any moral lack or quality on me, it merely reflects my aesthetic tastes. It's always a mistake to ascribe morals to issues of aesthetics; so I find it silly to accuse people of being 'selfish' because they have a definite set of sensual qualities they prefer.

But that's another thread. :)

Bain:
You are not some type of mindless robot, cro-magnum type person, or single cell organism that is helpless is what you can find aesthetic. You can involve your mind and change preferences. Unlike personality traits, men and women can’t change their sexual attributes without outside intervention (such as surgery), such as breast and penis size. Perhaps we have a difference of opinion, but I think people who prefer certain size over others underscore that they are low on the human development spectrum – like cro-magnum type people.