• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

brainwashed?

syo

i've noticed, a lot of people, mostly atheists, believe that christians are brainwashed by the christian doctrine. do atheists find the chistian doctrine so absurd, that only by brainwashing someone can believe in it? what if atheistic ideas are brainwashing humans? suppose atheism becomes the dominant norm in a society. will we say then that atheism brainwashes the mind of people, and the skeptic ones will be the christians?

syo

How do you define brainwashed?
i will give you an example. i believe jesus christ is god. atheists say to me that i only believe that, because i repeatedly was exposed to that idea of a divine christ, and that i don't think critically. and that's brainwashing. if i used reason, i wouldn't believe in a christ/god.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
i've noticed, a lot of people, mostly atheists, believe that christians are brainwashed by the christian doctrine. do atheists find the chistian doctrine so absurd, that only by brainwashing someone can believe in it? what if atheistic ideas are brainwashing humans? suppose atheism becomes the dominant norm in a society. will we say then that atheism brainwashes the mind of people, and the skeptic ones will be the christians?

What does it mean to be brainwashed? Doesn't it mean that one is disconnected to reality?

So, from an atheist perspective, the strong belief in something that cannot have evidence in its favor is a result of brainwashing: it is a disconnect from reality (as defined by testable observations).

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I wouldn't reaaaally use the term 'brainwashed'.
However, I do believe that if it wasn't for being taught about God and Jesus from early childhood ( and/or societal pressure and norm ) the number of Christians would be a loooooot lower nowadays. It's not a religion that people that get into by reason alone.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
i will give you an example. i believe jesus christ is god. atheists say to me that i only believe that, because i repeatedly was exposed to that idea of a divine christ, and that i don't think critically. if i used reason, i wouldn't believe in a christ/god. and that's brainwashing.

OK, so how did you come about that belief? How did you even come to the belief that there is a god at all, let alone that Jesus was such?

From an atheist point of view, it is far more likely that the stories you have heard about Jesus are exactly that: stories. Some are based on a historical person, but the legend blew up and we have the stories we see today. Since we know this type of blow up happens in many situations, it becomes more likely that the stories are mostly fiction than that they are mostly fact. Because of this, the stories just don't justify the corresponding beliefs.

Atheists don't have a book they read over and over and over and over and over. They don't have a preacher tell ing them what to believe every Sunday, with hymns to sing over and over. And lets study that book some more.
Atheists don't get warned, since they were small, that you will burn for eternity if you don't obey that book. Except if they live in a Christian household or environment.

All atheists truly have in common is that they lack a belief in a god.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I wouldnt call it brainwashed. Historically, any tradition religion with a strong history will have some political and cultural influence in a persons beliefs as a group. There is a term for it that implies the majority influences people to jump the bridge together.

As a group and historically, I find christianity very distasteful and very very very distasteful in how it treats others (rather than treated. Sermons literally put down catholics (experience), catholics picketing street ways to stop abortion (crying wolve basically). I have issues with the religion as a political force not a spiritual one. People seem to do well individually, but in groups not so much.

Atheism cant have to do with brainwash. Thats all christian (and abrahamic, say muslim) views. When majority of the people of the world is religious, they act in groups, people opposed to conformity used to be killed. Now, we are being shunned.

If you want to put it techniqually, minorities are seens as brainwashed, missing something, dont know god, etc. Its not specific to atheist just if the pope says yes, We say yes. If god says yes, We says.

Yet individually, its harder without being a influenced by ones cultural upbringing to see how much decision affect people outside your group moreso than help thousands inside.

syo

OK, so how did you come about that belief? How did you even come to the belief that there is a god at all, let alone that Jesus was such?
i trusted what i was taught. trust means nothing to atheists? if it was bad, then why do they teach christianity???

WalterTrull

Godfella
I wouldn't reaaaally use the term 'brainwashed'.
However, I do believe that if it wasn't for being taught about God and Jesus from early childhood ( and/or societal pressure and norm ) the number of Christians would be a loooooot lower nowadays. It's not a religion that people that get into by reason alone.
Yeah, I'm that way about math.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Brainwashed or indoctrinated is the same to me. And most of the biblical interpretations about God, Jesus and Mary are based on misinterpreted and distorted myths which belongs to the creation stories.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's best to either just ignore obviously absurd and needlessly inflammatory rhetoric or call it out for what it is (and don't engage it further from there). Put another way, I wouldn't take these sorts of claims seriously. When the person saying them can learn to take the axe away from the grindstone for a few seconds, then maybe they'll be worth conversing with. Axes and grindstones are hardly confined to this particular example, by the by.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I rather like the word brainwash. Brain + wash ... there are certain aspects of the instinctive-intellectual mind that need a good cleanup occasionally.

David T

Premium Member
i will give you an example. i believe jesus christ is god. atheists say to me that i only believe that, because i repeatedly was exposed to that idea of a divine christ, and that i don't think critically. and that's brainwashing. if i used reason, i wouldn't believe in a christ/god.
That's co identical to saying "I believe evolution is true". I know for a fact that in religion that phenomena of pointing to confusion to justify confusion is prelevant and is called being a christian. Just as atheism points to confusion To justify confusion. Both hold they have clarity based on the other confused propositions.

I used evolution with intent. Intelligent design, creationism is nonsense. If I say "evolution" what springs to mind? It will be identical to what an atheist points to. So there is an underlying mutual agreement right there regardless.

I left out something with intent as well in regards to the narrative ,"evolution" the narrative does not determine the fact. What exactly is the fact? St francis talked about it. 700 years ago.

Last edited: