• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Born again christian

Riders

SO and the Preachers quite often sit there and encourage people to accept Jesus over and over resaved again, My thinking is that they do this to keep people dependent on the church. Here's the alter call

Just as I am, without one plea
But that Thy blood was shed for me

Sinner, let me ask you a question. Do you really really know, do you know deep down in your heart that you are really saved?

And that Thou bid'st me come to Thee
O Lamb of God, I come! I come

Or have you of late committed some perhaps secret sins no one knows about it but God knows,You have been saved and a member of church, he knows your heart, he knows your lost, he's beckoning you tonight to come, come, come and give your heart to him again.........

Usually someone will respond just to get him to shut his mouth up and let people go home or maybe they are smart and leave before the service is over. He'll go on and on till he gets a sinner to repent!

Faithofchristian

Thanks for the explanation.

Ok, here's what's happening between Jesus and Nicodemus in John 3:1-10.

Notice in Verses 9-10, here you will find Jesus saying to Nicodemus, Your a master of Israel, and knows not these things"

You see, Nicodemus being very well known in and about the old testament scriptures.
But didn't know or understood what Jesus was talking about.

Now back in Verse 4, this is where Nicodemus, knew exactly that Jesus was not in no way in reference to baptism.
Here in verse 4, Nicodemus saying to Jesus, "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his
mother's womb, and be born?"

Thereby Nicodemus, knew and understood, what Jesus was referring to, had nothing at all to do with water baptism. But something much deeper than water baptism.

Nicodemus knew what water baptism is,
For Nicodemus was a master and well known in the old testament scriptures. Nicodemus knew all about water baptism, in the book of Leviticus.

As for the womb of a woman,
When a woman's water breaks, the child is born thru that water, thereby being born again of the water.
You see, before anyone one of us came into this world, We all were spirit beings with God.
Then God took each one of us and put us in the womb of our mothers.
Thereby being born again of water of flesh and blood beings.
Now as for being born again of the Spirit is by the word of God.

1 Peter 1:22-23,
22--"Seeing you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that you love one another with a pure heart fervently:

23--"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever"

Therefore being born again
of the Spirit of God, is by the word of God.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

Its not in the bible. When I was in the UPC church which was pretty much a cult church, they believed in going to church and getting the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues and getting baptized in the name of Jesus only as being the way to salvation.

Of course I don't believe like that anymore. However I do agree with their description of why the church that has alter calls to accept Jesus as wrong.

My Grand mother born in 1901 ( I'm 52, my Mom had me late in life) said that Southern Baptist church did not use to do that in the old days.

She said that came in the 60s, I have studied it its a part of the born again movement.The way Southern Baptists did it was like this. When you start going to church its because you believe on Jesus, so belief happens, there is no accepting Jesus or sinners prayer, Instead you respond to the alter call to repent of your sins, chose to make a decision to join the church and get baptized then your saved.

So the whole born again deal is bolognee.

hat I don't like is that it seems like Christians in community churches Baptist churches and the like quite often get to the alter response and never decided to live for God. They're just there to claim a free ticket out of hell, and if they backslide oh well, when the Pastor cals up sinners who have back slidden they get saved again. They never really start living for God just seem to be stuck at the alter call never go beyond that and don't grow up.

They seem to be preoccupied with getting out of having to burn in hell, well that's it that's all they care about.

When I choose a religion church, I want to go and joyfully worship God!

Many people ( Christians) in the churches are being taught that being born again of the water, is water baptism.

But Nicodemus understood very well what Jesus was speaking about, had nothing at all to do with water baptism.

Nicodemus knew what water baptism was.
For in the book of Leviticus tells all about water baptism.
So Nicodemus understood what Jesus was referring to, went much deeper than water baptism.

Many people, especially those of the Christinan faith, try to use the New Testament/scriptures, But that will not work.
All because at that time of Jesus and Nicodemus, They did not have the New Testament scriptures to go by.
For the new testament scriptures had not been written as of yet.

So all Jesus and Nicodemus had at that time, was the old testament scriptures to go by.
Therefore, if someone tries to use the new testament scriptures with Jesus and Nicodemus in John 3:1-10.
The new testament scriptures will not work, All because at that time of Jesus and Nicodemus the new testament scriptures had not been written as of yet.
So all Jesus and Nicodemus had were the old testament scriptures to go by.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Just out of curiosity.
Where does people get being a born again christian from.
Seeing there is no where in the Bible about being a born again christian.

How and where do people get this from

There are a couple of verses, but there are many tenets that stem from one verse in the Bible. Why make a whole theology based on one verse? Especially when there are verses that say otherwise in other parts of the Bible.

Faithofchristian

There are a couple of verses, but there are many tenets that stem from one verse in the Bible. Why make a whole theology based on one verse? Especially when there are verses that say otherwise in other parts of the Bible.

Well first of all, back at the times of Jesus and Nicodemus all they had was the
Old testament scriptures.
The New Testament scriptures were not written yet.
Therefore the new testament scriptures can not be used

Riders

Yes I did not recognize that at first. But yes like my old UPC church who built the church around verses like Acts2 38 about what name to be batized in and scripture on Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost. There's a few scriptures and the church is built around it.

Faithofchristian

True, but that doesn't stop people from embellishing.

Yes that maybe true, but by doing so, only makes people look foolish.
But when it comes to God's word, it is forbidden to add unto and take away from.

Alot of Christians knows this, but still they keep right on adding to and take away from God's word.
Is it any wonder why Jesus Christ said, the teachings of man's makes void the word of God.

JJ50

But when it comes to God's word, it is forbidden to add unto and take away from.

Alot of Christians knows this, but still they keep right on adding to and take away from God's word.
Is it any wonder why Jesus Christ said, the teachings of man's makes void the word of God.

What evidence do you have that it is the word of the unpleasant god character, rather than much more likely just the word of the human authors?

Wandering Monk

Well the NT was 'added unto' the OT.

Wandering Monk

My evidence lays within the Bible
If you can't handle that
That's your problem, not mine
400px-Bible_cycle.jpg

Audie

Veteran Member
But the Bible is not evidence, it is just a collection of documents written by humans with good imaginations, imo.

EVEN IF it were the "word of god", the obvious prob
is figuring what it means.
Anyone who says they do know what the word of god
means is simply claiming they are infallible.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
We have no idea if anything quoted by the gospel writers, as being said by Jesus, actually came out of his mouth.
Actually, we do. Through drawing comparisons between texts, we arrive at multiple attestations of the same quotations. One school of thought asserts that if the quotation appears in both Q and Thomas, the quotation comes within less than 8 years after the Jesus event, and is quite likely authentic. There are quite a few of them.

Faithofchristian

Well the NT was 'added unto' the OT.

While that is true, but before the new testament scriptures were added, All people had to go by was the old testament scriptures.
Therefore the new testament scriptures will not work, when Jesus and Nicodemus were talking Al they had was the old testament scriptures to go by.

What your saying, would be like trying to take today's technology and trying to imply it to 400 years ago.it will not work.

So trying to take the new testament scriptures and try to imply it to the time of Jesus and Nicodemus will not work.

Wandering Monk

While that is true, but before the new testament scriptures were added, All people had to go by was the old testament scriptures.
Therefore the new testament scriptures will not work, when Jesus and Nicodemus were talking Al they had was the old testament scriptures to go by.

What your saying, would be like trying to take today's technology and trying to imply it to 400 years ago.it will not work.

So trying to take the new testament scriptures and try to imply it to the time of Jesus and Nicodemus will not work.

Just pointing out that the Scriptures WERE added to by Christians.