• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birthright citizenship

shmogie

President Trump recently created a lot of folderol over his view of birthright citizenship.

Like most Americans, even though I have read the Constitution many times I believed it was a Constitutionally guaranteed right, and could only be changed by Constitutional amendment, a very, very high bar to achieve.

So, I did some research.

Of the approx., 150 nations, 30 have guaranteed birthright citizenship. Two first world nations, Australia and Ireland have recently reascended the concept, and others are considering doing the same.

It is alleged that the 14th Amendment to the Constitution grants automatic American citizenship to anyone born on US soil, but does it ?

The 14th Amendment was enacted in 1868 with the expressed purpose of ensuring that freed slaves were granted US citizenship. In the recorded discussions and articles of the time, I can find none where the children of aliens, legal or illegal , were considered as part of the Amendment. In fact, Native Americans, because they were citizens of their Tribal nations, were not considered under the Amendment till 1928 when they were granted citizenship.

So, what does the pertinent part of the 14th Amendment ACTUALLY say ?

Section one " All persons born or naturalized in the United States, AND SUBJECT TO THE JURISDICTION THEREOF ( caps mine), are citizens of the United States.

Does subject to the jurisdiction mean that children of aliens, legal or illegal who are subject to the jurisdiction of the nation of which they are citizens are not US citizens or, does it mean because they are on US soil they are subject to the jurisdiction of the US ?

I sincerely hope Trump issues his order rescinding birthright citizenship. Suit will immediately be brought for an injunction blocking the order, which will be granted. The Justice dept. will appeal and the issue will work it's way through the court system to the Supreme Court, who will decide.

The issue has never gone to the Supreme Court, but has been interpreted by lower courts since 1960 to mean anyone born on US soil are citizens of the US.

This creates anchor babies, that is, children of illegal aliens born on US soil who are citizens. The courts have ruled that these babies must be under the care of the parents and they anchor the parents to US soil, and though illegal aliens, otherwise subject to deportation,they cannot be deported.

I for one, hope the Amendment will be interpreted to mean that aliens are subject to their own country's authority, and are not citizens and the family unit can be deported to their home country,

Illegal aliens cost the American taxpayer billions of dollars in support and services, yearly., Billions of dollars American taxpayers intend for support and services for American citizens.

The American taxpayer cannot solve the problems of Americans when their tax dollars are being spent on citizens of another country who shouldn't be here in the first place.

We will see what happens.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Birthright citizenship has been to the Supreme Court. United States v. Wong Kim Ark - Wikipedia

The Supreme Court considered the "single question" in the case to be "whether a child born in the United States, of parent of Chinese descent, who, at the time of his birth, are subjects of the Emperor of China, but have a permanent domicil and residence in the United States, and are there carrying on business, and are not employed in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China, becomes at the time of his birth a citizen of the United States."

suncowiam

Yeah, OP needs to do more research. So many facts left out of his OP especially why the amendment was created in the first place.

shmogie

Birthright citizenship has been to the Supreme Court. United States v. Wong Kim Ark - Wikipedia

The Supreme Court considered the "single question" in the case to be "whether a child born in the United States, of parent of Chinese descent, who, at the time of his birth, are subjects of the Emperor of China, but have a permanent domicil and residence in the United States, and are there carrying on business, and are not employed in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China, becomes at the time of his birth a citizen of the United States."
The emperor of China, a hundred year old decision, my mistake, thank you for pointing it out. Seems you have scratched out a lot, permanent domicil, carrying on business. Interesting. So the Supreme court won´t take the case ? Many Supreme court decisions are overturned buy later courts.

What do you think ¨the single question¨ means ?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think the constitution writers were thinking of 18th century immigrants that were coming here to settle after a tough lengthy journal. They were not envisioning modern first class jet transportation and maternity vacations.

I think we need to rethink the whole subject for today's world. It seems to me the policy of granting birthright citizenship should be restricted to those whose parent(s) are legally immigrating to the country.

shmogie

Yeah, OP needs to do more research. So many facts left out of his OP especially why the amendment was created in the first place.
If you know these facts, then please just post them. I am especially interested in those related to why the 14th amendment was adopted. I would be interested in facts from historians and legal scholars, since the ones I have read, more than a few, cite the reason I posted

shmogie

I think the constitution writers were thinking of 18th century immigrants that were coming here to settle after a tough lengthy journal. They were not envisioning modern first class jet transportation and maternity vacations.

I think we need to rethink the whole subject for today's world. It seems to me the policy of granting birthright citizenship should be restricted to those whose parent(s) are legally immigrating to the country.
Well, the 14th Amendment was adopted in the 19th century, right after the civil war. I agree with your conclusion, but would go further, legal immigrants should only be accepted if they have a craft or skill that can reasonably ensure they can support themselves and contribute

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The emperor of China, a hundred year old decision, my mistake, thank you for pointing it out. Seems you have scratched out a lot, permanent domicil, carrying on business. Interesting. So the Supreme court won´t take the case ? Many Supreme court decisions are overturned buy later courts.

The 'scratch out' was due to a copy/paste error that RF would not let me fix for a few minutes. It's fixed now.

You're correct that the current far right wing activist court could easily overturn a prior decision.

The plain, lay meaning of that phrase to me is that the 'single question' had to do with birthright citizenship but I'd have to read the decision itself.

Curious George

Veteran Member

In that case it was decided that the 14th ammendment was to ne interpreted using the common law notion of Jus Soli. This is definitive because there is no common law exception that would exclude the child of an illegal immigrant. The court could overturn the decision, however the court is unlikely to do so for a decision which has created such a ling standing precedent. In instances like this, the court would in effect be changing the law. This is not for what the judicial branch is intended. If Congress or the president wants to change the law, then there are avenues for that.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

The 14th amendment was written in 1866 and had nothing to do (at the time) with neither immigrants nor the writers of the Constitution.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

I would love to see this kind of reasoning applied to a reconsideration of the 2nd amendment as well.

shmogie

In that case it was decided that the 14th ammendment was to ne interpreted using the common law notion of Jus Soli. This is definitive because there is no common law exception that would exclude the child of an illegal immigrant. The court could overturn the decision, however the court is unlikely to do so for a decision which has created such a ling standing precedent. In instances like this, the court would in effect be changing the law. This is not for what the judicial branch is intended. If Congress or the president wants to change the law, then there are avenues for that.
The Supreme court has changed the law in a number of instances, abortion is the first example to come to mind.

shmogie

I would love to see this kind of reasoning applied to a reconsideration of the 2nd amendment as well.
The second amendment has already been recently considered in Heller. Of course, that doesn´t mean that sometime down the road it won´t again.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I could have been on welfare my entire life ( never was) with absolutely no skills, craft or education, regardless, I am a citizen, not an illegal alien.

That's besides the point because you're online like many others trying to redefine what makes one a citizen as you're trying to redefine white supremacy in the form of nationalism to make it more palatable. Your rhetoric is nothing new but more importantly a challenge to those who want to emulate the same dribble as Trump I ask what do you do? So I ask you again the same question. Because frankly if you want to impart those qualities as something that makes one a citizen of this country, I would assume you have those same qualities yourself.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The 14th amendment was written in 1866 and had nothing to do (at the time) with neither immigrants nor the writers of the Constitution.
It does have an interesting history with English common law , Jus Soli.

Good intentions for implementing it too. Yet given that slaves and indigenous people are now granted citizenship and established, it would seem that Jus Soli had run its course. Personally, I think it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation especially knowing that the future , same as the past, is riddled with twists and turns that may prove difficult to reaquiese should unforeseen circumstances warrant it down the road.

Curious George

Veteran Member
The Supreme court has changed the law in a number of instances, abortion is the first example to come to mind.
Roe v. Wade did not change the law. Have you read that case?

My point is that the Supreme Court has decided how the 14th Ammendment is to be interpreted. People who want to change the interpretation are usually arguing for the dissent's interpretation. Now I am not sayimg that this interpretation was unreasonable at the time. But that issue has already been decided. I personally think that it was decided correctly as alternate decisions would have created other unintended consequences.

Curious George

Veteran Member
It does have an interesting history with English common law , Jus Soli.

Good intentions for implementing it too. Yet given that slaves and indigenous people are now granted citizenship and established, it would seem that Jus Soli had run its course. Personally, I think it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation especially knowing that the future , same as the past, is riddled with twists and turns that may prove difficult to reaquiese should unforeseen circumstances warrant it down the road.
While that is certainly an opinion, I wpuld hope that we agree that constitutional amendments that are believed to have "run [their] course," are best changed through the Ammendment process.