• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest turnoff to Christianity

Hope

Princesinha
What is the biggest turnoff, to those of you who aren't Christians, to Christianity? What specifically leads you not to believe in it? :confused: Would there be anything you would change, if you could, that would make it more appealing, or easier to believe? I'm genuinely curious here. ;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For me, the biggest turn-off is intolerance. I think there is a dangerous streak of intolerance in Christianity.

Having said that, I think the biggest turn on is that Christianity has established (through the unjust persecution and death of Jesus) the principle in Western culture that power cannot be unjustly used against the powerless. That is, might does not make right.

Runt

My biggest turnoff is simply that Christianity, almost as a whole, doesn't fit into my worldview. Theologically and morally, my beliefs are completely different, and so I simply could never be Christian unless I experienced a huge change of perception. However, I'm not sure I like the term "turnoff"... the difference in worldviews is the reason I am not Christian, but "turnoff" implies disgust or dislike, which I don't feel. Confusion yes, and in some cases amusement and occassionally frusteration, but if I believed what Christians believed, I would have no problem with Christianity. Yes, there is some hypocrisy and intolerance in Christianity... but there is in ALL religions, so I won't hold that against the religion as a whole, but rather only against individuals...

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
^^^What Runt said basically. I just never clicked with me, even as a child being brought up in the Christian church. I could recite verses and Bible stories, but it just didn't fit with me. Now that I am older I am digusted by the streak of intolerance runnning through many Christian churches today, as Sunstone put it. In it's pure form, Christianity (being focused on love and compassion), is a beautiful religion, but in the hands of man, I feel it has been perverted into something undesirable, at least for me.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Hope said:
What is the biggest turnoff, to those of you who aren't Christians, to Christianity? What specifically leads you not to believe in it?
The biggest turnoff? The fact that so many Christians won't recognize that other people hold and live different beliefs, just as sincerely as Christians hold and live theirs; and that so many Christians believe it's perfectly OK to impose Christian ideology on anyone (believer or no), but wrong to do the same with any other belief system's ideology.

What leads me not to believe Christianity? My experience practicing Buddhism.

Hope said:
Would there be anything you would change, if you could, that would make it more appealing, or easier to believe? I'm genuinely curious here.
Today, nope. My current understanding of how life and the universe works is nearly diametrically opposed to many Christian core concepts. Dependent co-arising, no-self, impermanence, and other Buddhist concepts describe much more clearly for me how life and the universe function; this understanding is based on putting these teachings and concepts into practice for over 20 years.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Christians who believe that they have the TRUTH when all they do have at best is belief/opinion and at the worst faith/ignorance and they aren't willing to logically without a reasonable shred of evidence conclude any of those to TRUTH.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
The whole sin concept bugs me. It emphasizes so much guilt.. "You are a BAD person, you're not WORTHY of God, you DESERVE to burn in hell forever, but because this guy got HORRIBLY CRUCIFIED for you, you're spared."

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Like I've said before, a number of people here have helped heal my perceptions of Christianity, so I wouldn't want to infer that I have a problem with Christianity. The things that bug me about it are the same things that have and would bug me about any other religion. (Including my own... whenever I figure out exactly what that is.) Fundamentalism, believing ones' own path is the only path to true happiness, and people being angry (about things like other religions, polititians, etc.) when I think that one of the greatest things that religion can bring to a persons' life is joy... again, that could apply to any religion, though, and I know a number of Christians here are incredible, loving people who would be celebrated in any religion.

linwood

The ignorance and intolerance, it disgusts me.

I realise it`s not all Christians but considering I`m surrounded by these type of people right here in my own neighborhood and see tons of it in online forums sometimes it seems that it`s the basis of Christianity.

Considering how modern Christianity was formed it`s hard to argue that it isn`t the basis for it.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I have to agree with many here that it simply doesn't fit in my spirituality.

I don't believe in "sin" as the Christian faith does, I do believe in good and evil however, just not to the same all consuming degree.

I don't believe in "hell" as the Christian faith does, I believe that hell is a scare tactic on the part of certain religions. In my faith thier is no need for hell, you live your life as best you can because that is the right way to live.

I don't believe in "salvation", I do not believe in hell nor sin so their is no need for salvation.

I don't believe in a "savior", If anyone is going to 'save' me it will be me, I am the one who controls my soul that was given to me by creator, if I join him when I die it up to me.

I don't believe in the inherant superiority of mankind, in my faith man is an equil part of creation not a master of it. We have our strenths and weaknesses like any other animal. We were ment to learn from the animals who are our elder brothers.

The exclusiveness of "heaven", my faith does not profess to be the 'one true way'. Creator made many people and gave them many ways to return to him. Each person must find thier own way, and what works for one culture and people may not nessisarily work for another group.

The need for "evangelizing", my faith doesn't need cheerleaders. I do not worry about bringing others into the fold because if it is ment for them then Creator will lead them to it. I will help those who seek it but I will not push it on anyone.

If you could change those things about Christianity I would find it easier to believe and follow... but then it wouldn't be Christianity any more now would it?

hope this helps your curiosity :)

wa:do

standing_on_one_foot

Ehm, my biggest turnoff? That's it's not my religion, I guess, which I like just fine. Other than that, it's the whole original sin, hell, and so on business.

linwood

I`ve just thought of something.

If the Old Testament were to be denounced by Christianity and declared wrong and unjust it would go a very long way towards my acceptance of Christianity.

Hope said:
What is the biggest turnoff, to those of you who aren't Christians, to Christianity? What specifically leads you not to believe in it? :confused:
Hypocrisy/contradiction between beleivers and what the Bible says, and within the Bible itself.

God's behavior/nature is inconsistent when you compare the vengeful God of the Old Testament to the loving God of the New Testament.
Jesus was clearly described in the Bible a pacifist, yet many Christians are zealously patriotic and think violence and war are justifiable (remember, Jesus condemned the zealots of his time). Faith is supposed to be the crux of belief, yet Christians constantly try to prove the historicity of the Bible with evidence, and the existence of God with logic. I.M.O., someone who believes God exists because it is 'logical' or beleives the Bible is historically accurate because of supposed 'evidence' has no real 'faith' at all.

Would there be anything you would change, if you could, that would make it more appealing, or easier to believe? I'm genuinely curious here. ;)
If God, Zeus, Thor, Allah, etc. want me to beleive in them, all they need to do is write "Mr Spinkles--I exist!! Your Pal, God" on the moon. That's all. ;)

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
For me, the overwhelming majority of Christians are like mindless sheep, swallowing whole the poison that spews forth from the pulpits of the Jerry Falwell's, Pat Robertson's, etc. of the world.

I am truly greatful when I encounter (on that oh-so-rare occasion) a person of the Christian faith that can think for themselves. When I see an entire congregation condemning homosexuals, I want to walk in and ask for one person - just one - to have the courage to stand up and denounce the bigotry.

What would it take to convert me? Unlike my good friend Spinkles (that's MR. Spinkles to the rest of you), God could simply stop me in the garage as I'm getting ready to go to work one morning and tell me to "get it in gear". I contrast this with the masses that simply need the Bible and a preacher to tell them that they KNOW what God wants them to do, and bingo - they're off on a mission to save the world.

Sincerely,
TVOR

Hope said:
What is the biggest turnoff, to those of you who aren't Christians, to Christianity? What specifically leads you not to believe in it? :confused: Would there be anything you would change, if you could, that would make it more appealing, or easier to believe? I'm genuinely curious here. ;)

I would have to say the biggest issue for me is the whole concept christianity is based on , a triune one God. It doesn't make sense as much and as hard as they try to explain it, it never adds up.

But also it is hard to generalize, I don't want to use the bigot Pat Robertson as the model of Christianity. There are so many divisions within the religion, some more appealing than other. Some less tolerant than others. So, honestly if there is anything one would change, it probably has already been done by now.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Hope -

I was in the basement, painting the walls, thinking about this. I think I would amend my earlier answer. I would have to say that one of my top gripes about Christianity is the inability of most of it's followers to use the phrase "In my opinion...".

Invariably, when they should use the phrase "In my opinion..." they replace it with "God says..." or "God wants...". For me, this is rather insulting - the obvious insinuation is that they know God (and what he wants) and that no one else does. The possibility that others might have a valid point or valid opinion never even arises.

TVOR

cardero

Citizen Mod
Voice Of Reason writes: Invariably, when they should use the phrase "In my opinion..." they replace it with "God says..." or "God wants...". For me, this is rather insulting - the obvious insinuation is that they know God (and what he wants) and that no one else does. The possibility that others might have a valid point or valid opinion never even arises.
Usually people who say this do not have a REALationship with GOD. They have a Bible relationship or a church (that was founded by man) relationship. No one has ever bothered to even consult GOD on any matters regarding what GOD's TRUTH and thinking might be.

dolly

That it isn't me. Christianity doesn't fit into my beliefs, nor do I feel that it is even possible for me to believe in it. Christianity just doesn't... I guess "make spiritual sense/isn't spiritually possible" for me. I find it impossible to believe what they say. *shrug*

anders

I had to think the question over for a few days, and think that the second place goes to the cannibalistic Eucharist. But nothing beats the Passion story. It has all of it: cruelty, the concept of "sins" and on top of that, that sins can be transferred, the science-defying resurrection and heavenly ascent.

Taking away those parts leaves nothing but the general ethical message of the NT, found at least as well stated in many other religions/philosophies.

Michelle

We are all related
Fundenmental Christians discriminate against those that think differently. But there form of discrimination is comdemning people to hell without thinking. They make blanket statements about entire groups of people.