• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden Administration opens tent facilities to hold illegal immigrants

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Debate. The US finances aren't allocated fairly. Thousands of people are homeless and even more so cause of COVID. Many americans can't work full time cause they'd loose benefits. Other countries they don't let you in unless in sobe you know their language and culture, have money to stay, and other. America just opens it's doors to just about anyone. No other country I'm aware of dies that.

The U.S. doesn't "open its doors to just about anyone"; it's not even on the list of the five countries with the most refugees:

39%
hosted in five countries

Turkey hosts the largest number of refugees, with 3.6 million people. Colombia is second with 1.8 million, including Venezuelans displaced abroad (as of mid-2020).

Turkey 3.6 million
Colombia 1.8 million
Pakistan 1.4 million
Uganda 1.4 million
Germany 1.1 million

UNHCR - Refugee Statistics

Money needs to go to American citizens first. What country will help a foreigner (american at that) before it helps it's own citizens.

This is a false dichotomy. As I said in a previous post, this isn't an either-or situation. The U.S. can afford to help both migrants/asylum seekers and homeless Americans; it's just that its corrupt and incompetent leaders have kept refusing to properly do so for years. Wealth inequality doesn't help in the slightest either.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
From the inside it is not. Living here all my life. The funds aren't allocated fairly.

Wealth inequality is different from lack of wealth. Since the U.S. government has the power to allocate said wealth more equitably, the fact that it doesn't is a significant issue that needs to be resolved instead of being blamed on refugees and migrants.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Wealth inequality is different from lack of wealth. Since the U.S. government has the power to allocate said wealth more equitably, the fact that it doesn't is a significant issue that needs to be resolved instead of being blamed on refugees and migrants.

But you can have trillions if dollars and still live in a poor environment some with something to live on. It's nice theology to say we are the ruches nation but it falls on deaf ears ri those who py see wealth in stats and not as good on their plate

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
But you can have trillions if dollars and still live in a poor environment some with something to live on. It's nice theology to say we are the ruches nation but it falls on deaf ears ri those who py see wealth in stats and not as good on their plate
Does that not say more about the greed of the elites than the country itself?
The US is the (or at least one of the) richest nation’s in the world. That’s just a fact. The government has all the wealth. That it is not being distributed “fairly” or the fact that there is such a gap between the classes is another issue entirely and probably why people feel resentment towards the elites. On both sides of the political aisle.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well that and Forbes :shrug:

I had a friend in a group home who fought for his life. He was perfectly sound but he would be homeless if he got a full time job and in the US you can't just jump into a nice place. He didn't have access to his own funds so he caries all his cash on him. Thousands of dollars. It's one of those dam if you do scenarios. I'm in the same situation minus the danger. And $1400 in covid relief is like a smack to the face for thousands and a million dollars for others but can't do anything with it cause people just don't take cash

Forbes is cool but, well

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I had a friend in a group home who fought for his life. He was perfectly sound but he would be homeless if he got a full time job and in the US you can't just jump into a nice place. He didn't have access to his own funds so he caries all his cash on him. Thousands of dollars. It's one of those dam if you do scenarios. I'm in the same situation minus the danger. And $1400 in covid relief is like a smack to the face for thousands and a million dollars for others but can't do anything with it cause people just don't take cash

Forbes is cool but, well
You seem to be describing societal issues relating to class struggles and the economic hardships of regular citizens. It’s why we have a multitude of political theories and philosophies. To try to address those issues. Try being the optimum word there.
That doesn’t change the fact that the US is the richest nation on earth currently. It might appear to look like a greedy and callous government on the world stage. But still.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Hopefully equipped with heaters.

At least not separating children. I hope.

Anyways, the Democrats were bragging for years on how they can be accommodated and properly integrated.

Let's see them put the money where their mouth is.
This will take some considerable time, patience will be required. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see how they handle this.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This will take some considerable time, patience will be required. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see how they handle this.

True.

I like to think we have come to a point where talking, criticising, and bragging alone isnt good enough anymore from people who think they can do better. We heard all the tripe for so long. Its time to actually do it.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
True.

I like to think we have come to a point where talking, criticising, and bragging alone isnt good enough anymore from people who think they can do better. We heard all the tripe for so long. Its time to actually do it.
That is correct. The Democrats have an interesting scenario where their base is interested in creating these pipelines for immigrants, but implementation will be complicated. There will be screw-ups. I am not very optimistic but any progress is better for them.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I cannot help but wonder if any of us have any feelings about what it might mean to be someone so desperate to escape their situation, and probably to save their family from the horrors that exist in so many parts of our planet.

Yes, it is easy enough to say, "of course, I feel sorry for you, but we can't have you coming here."

Is that all the care we have for our fellow humans? And their children? And the world that will follow when all of us are no longer here?

Why am I -- the atheist -- the one who is even asking this question?

Twilight Hue

That is correct. The Democrats have an interesting scenario where their base is interested in creating these pipelines for immigrants, but implementation will be complicated. There will be screw-ups. I am not very optimistic but any progress is better for them.
I want to see if they can handle it like they say they can. I certainly won't complain or critique any of it if it proves beneficial and productive all around.

Rome certainly wasn't built in a day, so it's not out of the question to afford time to make sure things turn out positive.

Shaul

Premium Member
I cannot help but wonder if any of us have any feelings about what it might mean to be someone so desperate to escape their situation, and probably to save their family from the horrors that exist in so many parts of our planet.

Yes, it is easy enough to say, "of course, I feel sorry for you, but we can't have you coming here."

Is that all the care we have for our fellow humans? And their children? And the world that will follow when all of us are no longer here?

I have a list of desperate people, can you give us your address so they can come live there?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Wealth inequality is a huge issue that many see the allocation of wealth be best put to american citizens as a priority before those without US citizenship. Unfortunately, many do blame refuges and migrants but I do believe each side has their place.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The perspective is to take care of one on before others. If you put the shoe on the other foot, if thousands of homeless Americans in situations similar to third world countries come to take refuge in another country, that country won't open its arms and treat everyone as citizens of that country based on their situation.

It's not denying people help, but prioritizing who to help.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You seem to be describing societal issues relating to class struggles and the economic hardships of regular citizens. It’s why we have a multitude of political theories and philosophies. To try to address those issues. Try being the optimum word there.
That doesn’t change the fact that the US is the richest nation on earth currently. It might appear to look like a greedy and callous government on the world stage. But still.

America as the "richest nation" doesn't mean much to people who don't have a say in the wealth we have.

To tell you honestly, I don't even know what "richest" is supposed to mean in the context. It's a nice theology, but when people from other countries become citizens here, many go back to their country because of how this country is set up. Discrimination and a lot of other factors involved that if you're not born and raised here (or perceived as such) you have a harder time getting a job and so forth than the regular Joe Smoe.

The way you guys are saying richest makes it seem like we have all our stuff together compared to other countries.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
America as the "richest nation" doesn't mean much to people who don't have a say in the wealth we have.

To tell you honestly, I don't even know what "richest" is supposed to mean in the context. It's a nice theology, but when people from other countries become citizens here, many go back to their country because of how this country is set up. Discrimination and a lot of other factors involved that if you're not born and raised here (or perceived as such) you have a harder time getting a job and so forth than the regular Joe Smoe.

The way you guys are saying richest makes it seem like we have all our stuff together compared to other countries.
Actually I believe (at least I was) using the term in a more accusatory manner. As if to say, America is one of the richest nations and look at how it treats its own people! For shame.

Twilight Hue

What people need to learn is the grass isn't always greener on the other side.