• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Slavery - How Could A Loving God Condone It?

PruePhillip

Leviticus 25:44

“Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.”

You may buy, and then they will become your property that can be passed from parent to child. Like a car.

So, if the Bible condemns slave traders, then its authors have the same moral stature of those junkies that buy heroin but condemn the dealer. I seriosusly hope you do not take your morality from there.

Now, apart from showing that the Bible is inconsistent, if not just hypocrite and cruel, i am not sure what your point is.

Ciao

- viole

Jesus was speaking of the strange ideas from the Old Testament.
One of these was the acceptance of divorce. He said it was for
"the fathers" that these laws were written. Another example was
the Jewish king - God gave the people a king, but it was offensive
to God that the people wanted this. Same too with polygamy.

We don't live under the Old Testament. The singular example I
can think of concerning slavery was Paul's letter to Philemon.
This letter set in train a move within the Roman Empire later on
to get rid of slavery. Under Christ all are brothers.

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
True but not true.
Jesus fulfilled all the law (Jewish laws)
But He also gave us the New Testament.
Thus... instead of having a traditional Passover Jesus spoke of HIMSELF
as being the lamb slain. He didn't go into the rituals such as sweeping
and cleaning - for these He considered to be rituals and symbols of what
he himself now represented. So, I don't think he was really an "observant
Jew."

Jesus didn't give us the New Testament. That was the work of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Paul.

sooda

Veteran Member
Jesus was speaking of the strange ideas from the Old Testament.
One of these was the acceptance of divorce. He said it was for
"the fathers" that these laws were written. Another example was
the Jewish king - God gave the people a king, but it was offensive
to God that the people wanted this. Same too with polygamy.

We don't live under the Old Testament. The singular example I
can think of concerning slavery was Paul's letter to Philemon.
This letter set in train a move within the Roman Empire later on
to get rid of slavery. Under Christ all are brothers.

Rome at one point had more slaves than citizens.

Philemon

sooda

Veteran Member
So Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Paul offered themselves to
redeem Israel?

Jesus didn't offer himself to redeem Israel. He said the Temple would be destroyed.. He said his followers should flee to the mountains to avoid the tribulation.

PruePhillip

Jesus didn't offer himself to redeem Israel. He said the Temple would be destroyed.. He said his followers should flee to the mountains to avoid the tribulation.

So what is your source for this? Given that seven writers in the
New Testament said Jesus came to offer Himself as the Lamb
of God, and most of the writers of the 39 Old Testament books
also said the Redeemer must come an pay the ransom for His
people.

sooda

Veteran Member
So what is your source for this? Given that seven writers in the
New Testament said Jesus came to offer Himself as the Lamb
of God, and most of the writers of the 39 Old Testament books
also said the Redeemer must come an pay the ransom for His
people.

Ransom??????

You don't know much about the Bible. The old testament expects the messiah to be an anointed warrior king from the house of Jesse and David who will vanquish their enemies.

Jesus didnt' fit that prophecy and his great grandmother was a Moabite.

PruePhillip

Rome fell.. slavery didn't go away.

I didn't say it did. But the practice fell into disrepute.
It wasn't Christian. Certainly the barbarians practiced
it against Christians. And yes, slavery was later to
return - when people had forgotten the strong feelings
Christians had about the subject.
In America it was strong Christian sentiment which
led to the Civil War to free the slaves. This sentiment
was strong in England too.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Then that was Protestantism, an evil perversion, not Christianity. Try again.

Maybe you should just save some webspace and come clean right away by saying that ANY self-proclaimed christian that is not a "Proud member of the Worldwide Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Wittnesses", is not a "real christian" (in your no true scottsman opinion).

Or that anything but "the Worldwide Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Wittnesses" is an "evil perversion".

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
ISIS has completely bastardized Islam.. and most of them are uneducated and drug addicts or drunks.

This.

A friend of mine used to buy weed from Salah Abdeslam and his brother.
Both were womanizers who spend their weekends high on dope, drunk on alcohol, frequenting nightclubs where they picked up one night stands, and were involved in general petty crime. They were known for stealing, drug dealing, etc.

Everybody knew, including the cops. They never did real jail time because their crimes were always not serious enough. They were literally a bunch of no-goods for anything and just genuine a-holes.

Everybody that knows them, know that they were simply attracted by the idea of going to play Rambo. Lost boys with no proper education that were extremely easy targets for the brainwashing ISIS folks. There was no need to work to strip them from their moral compass, because they barely had one to begin with.

They are and were low-life bums that were destined to either end up in jail or in the gutter.

And reading the general profiles of the type of people that went to Syria, it seems the vast majority of them were of that caliber.

Angry, uneducated and easily manipulated kids that lived on the streets and were involved in all sorts of criminal activities, that looked up to gangsters and had no morals whatsoever.

It surprised me when I saw their names in the paper off course. But at the same time, it made perfect sense.

They are scum.

shmogie

I'm sure non-immigrant Europeans can trace their lineage back and I'm sure many of their forefathers are linked either directly to slavery or directly linked to the promotion of the institution of white supremacist oppression.

This I know.

This I know.
You may be sure, but your surety is not based in fact. You have an opinion, nothing more

sooda

Veteran Member
You may be sure, but your surety is not based in fact. You have an opinion, nothing more

I can date my ancestors to the war of the roses.. The ones who came to America were Dutch sea captains who worked for the Dutch East Indies company which among others carried slaves to Brazil... and they were Dutch Reformed Church.

PruePhillip

the institution of white supremacist oppression. This I know.

Glad you know Mr Beard Man. Can you explain to those of us who don't
know just what 'institution of white supremacist" you are talking of. I fear
that I am talking to a parrot here - someone who imbibes trends in thought
and amplifies them. As Carl Jung put it, "People don't have ideas, ideas
have people."
What impresses me about Jordan Peterson is that he will sit and think for
quite a while when asked a question. An ideologue has the canned answer
straight away. And one of the current batch of sayings is "institution of white
supremacy." Though no-one has pointed out where this institute is.

Is it in America's education system? The system that takes marks from Asian
students and gives them to black students?

Is it the American police force, which killed twice as man white males as black
males in 2015, despite blacks engaging in the most crimes?

Please tell me about this racist institution you have found.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Kidnapping anyone and then selling them was punishable by death in ancient Israel-

Kidnappers must be put to death, whether they are caught in possession of their victims or have already sold them as slaves. -Exodus 21:16

In a similar manner, Christianity also condemns slavery-

We know that the law is good when used correctly. For the law was not intended for people who do what is right. It is for people who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy, who kill their father or mother or commit other murders.

The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching that comes from the glorious Good News entrusted to me by our blessed God. -1 Timothy 1 :8-10

Given the reality that slaves were always kidnapped or the children of kidnapping victims, exactly why, then, do Anti-Christians continue to confuse the consensual program of personal debt settlement utilized in ancient Israel with slavery?

Slavery is an ancient practice and only gradually has it been able to be regulated and eventually abolished. There are many passages in the Bible which try to establish fair treatment and or rights for slaves but slavery was not a teaching of the Bible but an ancient practice.

JJ50

Slavery is an ancient practice and only gradually has it been able to be regulated and eventually abolished. There are many passages in the Bible which try to establish fair treatment and or rights for slaves but slavery was not a teaching of the Bible but an ancient practice.

Among some of the more stupid things that guy Paul wrote,was telling slaves to honour their masters!

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Glad you know Mr Beard Man. Can you explain to those of us who don't
know just what 'institution of white supremacist" you are talking of.

"White supremacy culture is reproduced by all the institutions of our society. In particular the media, the education system, western science (which played a major role in reinforcing the idea of race as a biological truth with the white race as the "ideal" top of the hierarchy), and the Christian church have played central roles in reproducing the idea of white supremacy (i.e. that white is "normal," "better," "smarter," "holy" in contrast to Black and other People and Communities of Color. For one example of the role of education in reproducing white supremacy culture."

WHITE SUPREMACY CULTURE

And one of the current batch of sayings is "institution of white
supremacy." Though no-one has pointed out where this institute is.

(See above paragraph).....

If you want an example you can also look at Jim Crow Laws which not only had a direct legal effect on American citizens, but also even post Jim Crow era there still had the residual psychological affect upon black American descendants (myself included even though I was born in the early 80's) you're talking about from the 1940's to the 70's. True freedom from the abolishment of the system of slavery did not truly begin until the 70's (See:Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education - Wikipedia)

Is it in America's education system? The system that takes marks from Asian
students and gives them to black students?

Marks? What?

Is it the American police force, which killed twice as man white males as black
males in 2015, despite blacks engaging in the most crimes?

"U.S. police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed white people as they have unarmed black people: 50 each. But because the white population is approximately five times larger than the black population, that means unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer. Police have shot and killed a young black man (ages 18 to 29) — such as Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. —175 times since January 2015; 24 of them were unarmed. Over that same period, police have shot and killed 172 young white men, 18 of whom were unarmed. Once again, while in raw numbers there were similar totals of white and black victims, blacks were killed at rates disproportionate to their percentage of the U.S. population. Of all of the unarmed people shot and killed by police in 2015, 40 percent of them were black men, even though black men make up just 6 percent of the nation’s population."

“There’s too much violence in the black community,” former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani said Sunday on CBS’s “Face The Nation.”

As the New York Daily News noted: Giuliani is wrong about the so-called black-on-black crime rate. According to FBI numbers from 2014, about 90 percent of black homicide victims were killed by other black people. The “white-on-white” murder rate that same year — homicides in which a white person was killed by another white person — was 82 percent of all murders of white people.

I wonder what the white community is doing in their neighborhoods to have such high murder rates in their communities...

See:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.4b155ffc3da6