• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I really like my regular partner, and the beliefs are interesting. Not too impressed with the program itself, though.

you are probably using the study aid "what does the bible really teach", yes?

If so, that study aid is designed to give the basics of teachings, but doesnt get into great detail about them. You can ask for additional deeper information on any given subject, just let your study conductor know...they'll be happy to provide you with the additional study material.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I'm not a Witness, but even I am impressed by Storm!!

About 30 years ago, I had a drug problem and was suicidal. In a rare, lucid moment, I prayed intently for help.
Within an hour, there was a knock on the door. Two Witnesses were on the porch. I lived in the middle of nowhere, by the way. They were probably a little frightened of me, but I remember they came by a few times before I moved. They left me two, hard-bound books; a red one about Revelation and a blue one about creaton vs evolution.
Both books absolutely made perfect sense to me....100%.

I think I'm ready for another knock on the door, now. I know we're not supposed to test God....but I wonder.......

Malachi 3:6 “For I am Jehovah; I have not changed..... Return to me, and I will return to YOU,” Jehovah of armies has said....10...and test me out, please, in this respect,” Jehovah of armies has said, “whether I shall not open to YOU people the floodgates of the heavens and actually empty out upon YOU a blessing until there is no more want.”

the only thing standing in our way is ourselves. God is always ready to receive us.... we just have to make the effort. :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
you are probably using the study aid "what does the bible really teach", yes?

If so, that study aid is designed to give the basics of teachings, but doesnt get into great detail about them. You can ask for additional deeper information on any given subject, just let your study conductor know...they'll be happy to provide you with the additional study material.
Yep. It's not that I'm not getting enough info. We stop to discuss things all the time, and that's what I enjoy. It's the book itself. Makes me feel like I accidentally wandered into a kindergarten.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Is this a test or trial period, in which the souls who have slept are given a chance to accept or reject the Gospel?

Jesus said that some will receive a resurrection of 'life' but others a resurrection of 'judgment'
“The hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.”—John 5:28, 29.

notice that the ones who did 'good things' are resurrected to life, but those who practiced 'vile things' a resurrection of judgment. The good people mentioned are those who were worshipers of God in the past....people like Noah, Abraham, Job, Isaac and Jacob for example. These were worshipers of Jehovah and they have already received their judgment because they died faithful to God....so they have no need of being judged during that time.

But those who lived bad lives ,those who worshiped false gods and practiced false forms of worship or those who did not have any religion at all and lived according to flesh...they will need to learn what God requires and they will have to decide how they will act. So for them it will be a test.

Will they accept Gods offer of life or will they reject it...no one knows until they have that choice to make. That is why their resurrection will be one of judgment. They will be judged according to how they respond to Gods invitation during that judgment day. They 'day' is a 1,000 year long period known also as Jesus Millenial rule. So they will have plenty of time to make changes to the way they think and act and plenty of time to learn how to worship God, and live the right way.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yep. It's not that I'm not getting enough info. We stop to discuss things all the time, and that's what I enjoy. It's the book itself. Makes me feel like I accidentally wandered into a kindergarten.

lol :D

there are deeper study materials that we personally use, but with new bible students we start them off on the easy stuff so that they can get a grasp of the basis of our teachings

and i guess the thing is that the scriptures really do hold simple truths themselves...they are not philosophically complicated so our material is not going to put anyone in a mind spin using fancy theological concepts and ideas. Its those plain biblical truths that we endeavor to relay.

starlite

Texasgirl
Jesus' manner of teaching was very effective. He made his point with simplicity, brevity, and clarity. He illustrated these points with things well known to his listeners. Simple things, like bread, water, salt, wineskins, old garments, were used as symbols of things of great importance. While his listeners heard the things he said not all understood what he said. Those who did understand got the real significance and sense of the message, were able to evaluate it, and benefit from it. It moved them to action.

The “understanding heart is one that searches for knowledge”; it is not satisfied with a mere superficial view but seeks to get the full picture. (Pr 15:14) "The understanding heart is one that searches for knowledge, but the mouth of stupid people is one that aspires to foolishness."

The same is true today...Bible truth is presented simply and logically.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Jesus' manner of teaching was very effective. He made his point with simplicity, brevity, and clarity. He illustrated these points with things well known to his listeners. Simple things, like bread, water, salt, wineskins, old garments, were used as symbols of things of great importance. While his listeners heard the things he said not all understood what he said. Those who did understand got the real significance and sense of the message, were able to evaluate it, and benefit from it. It moved them to action.
The “understanding heart is one that searches for knowledge”; it is not satisfied with a mere superficial view but seeks to get the full picture. (Pr 15:14) "The understanding heart is one that searches for knowledge, but the mouth of stupid people is one that aspires to foolishness."

The same is true today...Bible truth is presented simply and logically.

...and since the Bible is not written ABC like a dictionary it is best examined by subject or topic arrangement. Comparing parallel or corresponding verses and passages along the same line of thought.

Jesus used logical reasoning on Scripture prefacing his statements with the words, "it is written". Written in the Hebrew Scriptures.

The people of Acts [17v11] examined the Bible daily. They searched or researched Scriptures each day to see if what they were learning was what the Bible really teaches. Those people were looked at as being noble minded for doing that.

espo35

I believe Gods' message IS very simple.... purposefully so. If you had many children, some smart, some not so smart, would you only reward the smart ones?

Faith, however...and more importantly, works....not so easy.

espo35

I personally disagree with the Jehovah's Witnesses on some doctrinal matters.

I can say the same about every, single belief-system I've ever encountered. As long as humans are part of the equation, there will be errors and imperfections.

Pick your battles. If they are minute differences, don't get hung-up on them.

Luke 6:42

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I can say the same about every, single belief-system I've ever encountered. As long as humans are part of the equation, there will be errors and imperfections.

Pick your battles. If they are minute differences, don't get hung-up on them.

Luke 6:42

Jehovah's Witnesses are not true Christians because they do not believe that Jesus is God.

I am willing to speak to you, but I have one request. Please do not insult me. Does that sound fair to you?

This is also the comparative religions thread... Jehovah`s Witnesses call themselves Christian. You may have your own opinion, but they classify themselves as Christian.

It has nothing to do with insulting you... it`s the fact that your narrow definition is only limited to Protestant understandings of Christianity.

Jehovah's Witnesses are not true Christians because they do not believe that Jesus is God.

Making statements like this without any evidence of an objective definition of what a Christian is in the Bible is liable to debate.

Last edited:

IsmailaGodHasHeard

This is also the comparative religions thread... Jehovah`s Witnesses call themselves Christian. You may have your own opinion, but they classify themselves as Christian.

It has nothing to do with insulting you... it`s the fact that your narrow definition is only limited to Protestant understandings of Christianity.

Making statements like this without any evidence of an objective definition of what a Christian is in the Bible is liable to debate.

Oops. I did not know that I was in this section. Thank you for warning me. I will save my controversy for the debate sections.

espo35

I am willing to speak to you, but I have one request. Please do not insult me. Does that sound fair to you?
Of course! I wouldn't think of insulting you. You seem like a fine person from the posts of yours I've read.
I think the people who are insulting on the internet are cowards, hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

I hate cowards.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Of course! I wouldn't think of insulting you. You seem like a fine person from the posts of yours I've read.
I think the people who are insulting on the internet are cowards, hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

I hate cowards.

Thank you. What was the question?

espo35

Thank you. What was the question?

I was raised a Roman Catholic, believing in the trinity. Over the years, I did something nearly unthinkable to a devout Catholic: I studied the Bible! In so doing, it became abundantly clear to me that Jesus is not God and that holy spirit is a thing, not a being.
These things and the fact that Satan rules the Earth, not God are made clear throughout the New Testament. These are basic tenants of Christianity, as per the Bible.
The fact that the JW's have these correct and the mighty Catholic Church has it backwards, lends credence to the JW's message, in my eyes.