• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Outed As An Atheist

GoodbyeDave

My problem is that the big bang and macro-evolution are taught as absolute fact when they aren't absolute fact. I feel that an optional class in which the Biblical perspective should be available and that the science classes teach the above as theories only and not as fact.
If you have a problem with evolution, then you're an odd Catholic! Have you been listening to the proddies? In the USA, parochial schools are forbidden to teach creationalism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Personally, I have a hard time tolerating atheists: I class them as fundamentalists, like US evangelical Protestants or Salafi Muslims.
Really?
We don't have anything to be fundamental about.....except for that singular thing, ie, not believing in gods.
But we're fair because we treat everyone's gods the same (imaginary).

Raahim

مكتوب
During my first intern job (around 1999 or 2000) I was outed as an atheist.

I worked at a engine manufacturing company in their design and prototype team. Anyway, I got along great with everyone and really enjoyed working there. One day after work a woman who I worked with had a flat tire and I volunteered to put on her spare for her. She thanked me and told me I was a "great kid."

The next day she came into work and wouldn't talk to me. She actually wouldn't even look at me. I thought that was kinda weird, but thought maybe she was just having a bad day, so I let it go. The day after that she still wouldn't talk to me so I asked another co-worker if they knew if something was wrong with her. They told me that after I had changed her tire, she went home and called her work friend to tell her what a swell guy I was and her friend said, "Yeah, but you know he's an atheist, right?"

That's all it took. From that moment forward I went from being a "great kid" to being someone not even worth talking to.

Why do some religious people hold such disgust for atheists?

Really stupid situation to be honest, sorry it happened. There will be religious people who hold such disgust towards atheists the same as there are atheists who hold the same disgust to religious people. Religious people probably see threat in atheists and that's what bothers them & atheists see idiots in religious people. :confused:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Really?
We don't have anything to be fundamental about.....except for that singular thing, ie, not believing in gods.
But we're fair because we treat everyone's gods the same (imaginary).
naw....there are a few ( I won't say who) ....
antagonize the discussion constantly asking for proof and ignoring pivot questions....

you know what I mean....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
naw....there are a few ( I won't say who) ....
antagonize the discussion constantly asking for proof and ignoring pivot questions....

you know what I mean....
I think the problem here is with the definition of "fundamentalism".
More strictly, it's about strict adherance to scriptural dictates.
But it's now associated with stridency in proclaiming beliefs.
Atheists are characterized by a singular belief, ie, disbelief in gods.
"Fundamentalist" is inappropriate.
But "loud mouthed oppressive boor" could work for some.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Personally, I have a hard time tolerating atheists: I class them as fundamentalists, like US evangelical Protestants or Salafi Muslims.
There are good ones and bad ones, just like the religious. What's disappointing is to be an atheist and think there's some kind of bond between "us atheists" and discover that some of them can be really rude buttholes simply because you have a different opinion. I think those atheists have turned fundamentalists on their unbelief. Those are the ones I don't like either. But there are good ones that are reasonable, smart, easy to be open to, and discuss things. But you're right, there's a bunch of fundamentalist atheists growing, and it ain't pretty.

Acim

Revelation all the time

Probably because atheism cuts to the core beliefs of theists.
If atheism were always passive, I doubt it would be a noticeable problem, but because some atheists are noticeably on the offense with regards to their position, it perhaps seems better to just avoid atheists who may not hold back in disparaging remarks or ridicule of one's core beliefs.

I don't get why any atheist on this site would see that as new. Seems to occur on the site (both ways) rather frequently, as in every other thread has it going on. IRL the desire for open debate is probably a lot lower, and so avoidance is likely the normative behavior.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In every job I ever had (in CA, MI & MD), I never hid being an atheist.
It never seemed to cause any discord at all.
Me either and I worked in a Catholic institution for many years where people knew I was an atheist. I suppose it's all in the demographics where one works and lives.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I feel sure that within the next 100 years or so, atheists will being outing Christians. The shoe will be on the other foot.

That is already the case in Sweden.

A friend of mine outed as a Christian, But we did not start hating him, obviously. We just took some pictures of him. You know, like a picture of Chingachgook, the last of the Mohicans.

:)

Ciao

- viole

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
During my first intern job (around 1999 or 2000) I was outed as an atheist.

I worked at a engine manufacturing company in their design and prototype team. Anyway, I got along great with everyone and really enjoyed working there. One day after work a woman who I worked with had a flat tire and I volunteered to put on her spare for her. She thanked me and told me I was a "great kid."

The next day she came into work and wouldn't talk to me. She actually wouldn't even look at me. I thought that was kinda weird, but thought maybe she was just having a bad day, so I let it go. The day after that she still wouldn't talk to me so I asked another co-worker if they knew if something was wrong with her. They told me that after I had changed her tire, she went home and called her work friend to tell her what a swell guy I was and her friend said, "Yeah, but you know he's an atheist, right?"

That's all it took. From that moment forward I went from being a "great kid" to being someone not even worth talking to.

Perhaps she was having a rather difficult time dealing with the idea that here you are good wholesome Christian boy who turned out to be what she was brought believing was the devil incarnate?
Is it possible that her problem was not with you so much as with herself?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
If a biblical alternative is to be presented, then fairness would also require not
only all the different biblical perspectives, but all the other religious flavors.
(I wonder what Scientologists, Pastafarians, Cthulians, & Bobists have to say?)
Aside from being impractical & of no scientific value (which is the purpose behind
cosmology, physics & biology), teaching religion isn't the province of government.
It is most comical how pointing this little fact out reveals the hypocrisy of those who want "alternatives" taught in school.
Seems they only want THEIR alternatives taught, not all of them.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Would you agree if we let Islam in our public schools?

If not. Why not?

Ciao

- viole

I would welcome it. We are not educated enough about it. We need a class on each of the world's major religions just so young people can get an introduction to people of each particular faith, how they think and why they do the things they do.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
That is already the case in Sweden.

A friend of mine outed as a Christian, But we did not start hating him, obviously. We just took some pictures of him. You know, like a picture of Chingachgook, the last of the Mohicans.

:)

Ciao

- viole

Well, if I lived there I wouldn't live there. I'd move. ;)