• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Outed As An Atheist

PackJason

I make up facts.
During my first intern job (around 1999 or 2000) I was outed as an atheist.

I worked at a engine manufacturing company in their design and prototype team. Anyway, I got along great with everyone and really enjoyed working there. One day after work a woman who I worked with had a flat tire and I volunteered to put on her spare for her. She thanked me and told me I was a "great kid."

The next day she came into work and wouldn't talk to me. She actually wouldn't even look at me. I thought that was kinda weird, but thought maybe she was just having a bad day, so I let it go. The day after that she still wouldn't talk to me so I asked another co-worker if they knew if something was wrong with her. They told me that after I had changed her tire, she went home and called her work friend to tell her what a swell guy I was and her friend said, "Yeah, but you know he's an atheist, right?"

That's all it took. From that moment forward I went from being a "great kid" to being someone not even worth talking to.

Why do some religious people hold such disgust for atheists?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To the best of my understanding, they are used to ground their trust in a supposed common core of belief.

It makes some people uncertain and perhaps mistrusting when such a core is specifically denied.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I once had a co-worker find out I wasn't Christian and that set her off. She didn't know what I believed, and as far as she knew or was concerned, I was an atheist. She took to following me around on breaks and at lunch with a bible to preach at me. I really didn't care as she was just a little annoying and , if anything, worthy of a laugh. It did, however, come in handy to get her fired over something else. She harassed a young girl away from work once, I girl I knew and felt a bit protective of, and after that I went to the bosses and told about the religious harassment at work thing she was doing and she was subsequently fired for it. Shot herself in the foot with her own actions she did. Laid her employment in my hands all because she felt the need to preach at me.

PackJason

I make up facts.
The atmosphere is different depending on where you live and what social circles you cultivate. It certainly isn't like this where I live.

Where do you live? I live in Wisconsin, which is a pretty liberal state, but I still hear people talking about how bad and immoral atheists are from time to time.

I watched about 15 minutes of The 700 Club a while back and felt like I needed to take a shower. Those people friggin' hate atheists.

PackJason

I make up facts.
In every job I ever had (in CA, MI & MD), I never hid being an atheist.
It never seemed to cause any discord at all.

In Maryland atheists can't hold public office. At least that's what the law states.

I wonder why that isn't considered discrimination.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I feel sure that within the next 100 years or so, atheists will being outing Christians. The shoe will be on the other foot.

From several of your latest posts, PJ, I am beginning to understand why you feel little sympathy for religious people. It sounds like some religious people have done you some serious wrong in the past.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In Maryland atheists can't hold public office. At least that's what the law states.

I wonder why that isn't considered discrimination.

I can't believe that law hasn't been challenged in federal court yet.

In 1961, the USSC ruled than any religious test for office is illegal.
Many obsolete & unenforceable laws remain on the books though.

Some info....
https://news.vice.com/article/atheists-are-banned-from-holding-public-office-in-seven-us-states
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torcaso_v._Watkins

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
You can't escape your true nature @PackJason! I used to be an atheist, and all I thought about was putting whoopie cushions on unsuspecting Christians! Atheism: Not Even Once