• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before Life

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We see a good deal of discussion here regarding afterlife, but we rarely see any discussions a about a before-life.

Many religions speak of some sort of a sustained existence after the death of the body/mind complex, but very few make any mention about any existence before birth or conception.

Why do you think there is little said about a before-life, but so much about an afterlife?

What is your belief about your existence (if any) before you were conceived?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We see a good deal of discussion here regarding afterlife, but we rarely see any discussions a about a before-life.

Many religions speak of some sort of a sustained existence after the death of the body/mind complex, but very few make any mention about any existence before birth or conception.

Why do you think there is little said about a before-life, but so much about an afterlife?

Perhaps there's less discussion because you can't do much about it now...

I had a nephew tell me a story about something that happened to him "before I was a baby".

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Sunni Islam has a moderately extensive account of creation and existence before humanity's creation, but yes, the afterlife is discussed in the religion much more elaborately.

I suspect one of the main reasons many people focus so much more on the afterlife is that we can supposedly influence where we go or how we end up in the afterlife, but not in the "before-life." Also, an afterlife would represent continuity of our existence, which is something many people desire—the pursuit of immortality or eternal life is ancient, after all. A before-life is much less interesting in that regard.

"I" didn't exist, because my sense of self is tied to and emergent from my body and sense of consciousness, both of which didn't exist before I was conceived and will no longer exist when I pass away.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Im not religious though i do have a view on before life (and afterlife)

Atoms are recycled, something wears away or dies it's atoms go to forming something else. In that way the atoms that have previously made life (or non life) are recused in our bodies. I see it as "we are all made of dead people (and dead things)" is that a before life?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I've been mentioning before -life quite a bit on this forum already particularly when I refer to rebirth as opposed to reincarnation.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I think little is said because, unless someone believes in reincarnation, they don't believe there was a before-life.
In other words, most people, religious or not, believe that life begins at conception, during pregnancy, or when we are actually born.
I believe that life begins at conception, so we did not exist before we were conceived.
According to my beliefs:

The life of the individual begins at conception, when the soul associates itself with the embryo. When death occurs, the body returns to the world of dust, while the soul continues to progress in the spiritual worlds of God.

Viker

Häxan
A total lack of sentience and self awareness. We don't use the word "nothing" as it is viewed as a nonsense word. Therefore something takes place before birth. It's just not as important as one's life in the time that they are aware.

Altfish

Veteran Member

I was not there. I did not exist.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think little is said because, unless someone believes in reincarnation, they don't believe there was a before-life.
This isn't necessarily true. One of the posts before you mentions a some form of a before-life and that member not only doesn't believe in rebirth or reincarnation, she is not religious.

I believe that life begins at conception, so we did not exist before we were conceived.
So you believe life is requisite to existence?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This isn't necessarily true. One of the posts before you mentions a some form of a before-life and that member not only doesn't believe in rebirth or reincarnation, she is not religious.
That's true. It is not only those who believe in reincarnation who believe there is a before-life, but you asked why we rarely see any discussions about a before-life, and that is because 'most people' do not believe there was anything before life begins (as most people believe it begins).
So you believe life is requisite to existence?
I do not believe that physical life is requisite to existence.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, I guess I was a twinkle in my parents' eyes, or so I've heard. Prior to that, I can't say.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems there's quite a bit about "before" life it just doesn't get discussed as much because the mainstream/dominant traditions in modern Western English-speaking culture are death-preparing traditions (aka, they focus on "after" life).

I mean, as far as I'm aware Christian traditions basically teach their god creates the soul, and that soul is created at conception. This is why some of them argue that "life" begins at conception in the first place - it's a religious argument at its core. Dunno if others Abrahamic traditions differ, or whether there are big differences amongst the different Christian traditions on this issue.

Then there are many other traditions that widely acknowledge that souls go through many cycles of incarnation and are recycled like pretty much everything else in the universe is. As far as I'm aware, that's how karma proper works, as opposed to the Westernized version of it - karma is what comes from past incarnations, not the present one (which will influence the next incarnation).

And then there are philosophies that understand the very notion of "self" or "ego" is a non-starter since there is no "I" without "thou" - existence simply is and pointing at a "before" or an "after" are equally nonsensical. It is an understanding that ego-centered conceptions of time and space are not the reality of things and a letting go of that.

All of these various tales are interesting, in their own way. I add to it what some would consider a naturalistic approach, told best by the Universe Story that acknowledges that every atom in our very being was here at the beginning of the universe (if it had a beginning) and that we were all there, at that moment, and will be there when the universe ends (if it ends).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I forgot a big one - something I ran across when studying the Four Elements is how Air is often linked with the soul in antiquity? That is, the soul isn't imparted until an air-breathing creature takes its first breath. There's probably at least a handful of religious traditions that still follow that line of thinking. Couldn't tell you which ones without doing some digging.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

One of those is Kardecist Spiritism, which posits that human spirits evolve from minerals to plants to animals to humans and then beyond (AFAIK).

Pragmatism. People tend to worry or at least have curiosity about the future, not nearly so much about the past.

I don't really believe I existed in any meaningful way. Arguably I still do not.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Seems there's quite a bit about "before" life it just doesn't get discussed as much because the mainstream/dominant traditions in modern Western English-speaking culture are death-preparing traditions (aka, they focus on "after" life).

I mean, as far as I'm aware Christian traditions basically teach their god creates the soul, and that soul is created at conception. This is why some of them argue that "life" begins at conception in the first place - it's a religious argument at its core. Dunno if others Abrahamic traditions differ, or whether there are big differences amongst the different Christian traditions on this issue.

Then there are many other traditions that widely acknowledge that souls go through many cycles of incarnation and are recycled like pretty much everything else in the universe is. As far as I'm aware, that's how karma proper works, as opposed to the Westernized version of it - karma is what comes from past incarnations, not the present one (which will influence the next incarnation).

And then there are philosophies that understand the very notion of "self" or "ego" is a non-starter since there is no "I" without "thou" - existence simply is and pointing at a "before" or an "after" are equally nonsensical. It is an understanding that ego-centered conceptions of time and space are not the reality of things and a letting go of that.

All of these various tales are interesting, in their own way. I add to it what some would consider a naturalistic approach, told best by the Universe Story that acknowledges that every atom in our very being was here at the beginning of the universe (if it had a beginning) and that we were all there, at that moment, and will be there when the universe ends (if it ends).
My beliefs fall in this mix. Even as a young child being schooled in protestant Christianity, long before I knew anything about the eastern traditions, even before I learned anything about science, I believed in reincarnation. And not the coming back a horse kind.
Thoughts to ponder just from the Bible:

Ec 1:9-11 "9)What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done,and there is nothing new under the sun. 10) Is there a thing of which it is said, “See, this is new”? It has been already in the ages before us.11) There is no remembrance of former things,
nor will there be any remembrance
of later things yet to be among those who come after."

Ec 12:7 "and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it."

Ec 11:5 "As you do not know how the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything."

Je 1:5a "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;"

Mt 11:14 [Jesus speaking] "and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come."

He 7: 1-3 "For this Melchizedek, Kong of Salem, priest of the Most High God,....is first by translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then he is also.....king of peace. He is without father or mother or genealogy, and has neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God he continues a priest forever."

He 7:15-17 [speaking of Jesus]
"15) This becomes even more evident when another priest arises in the likeness of Melchizedek, 16) who has become a priest, not on the basis of a legal requirement concerning bodily descent, but by the power of an indestructible life. 17) For it is witnessed of him,
“You are a priest forever,
after the order of Melchizedek.”'

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I think some of it is to do with the wonder of life, and our belief in our own immortality, in some form.
This seems a pretty constant thing in human history. People building monuments to their achievements, passing down family name, heritage, and being faced with the death of loved ones, and the question of 'what's next'...

Those things motivate our stories, in my view. Where we have a 'before-life' narrative, it is commonly not really a tale of our before-life, but a tale of God's power (eg. souls) or of rebirth/reincarnation (where life is cyclical, so the before life really blends with the afterlife).

It's also hard to convince people they came from a primordial sludge, and were sludging around for a million years prior to being made human, when they obviously can't remember any of it...ahem...