• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barefeet walking and sleeping on the floor (thin mattress)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This year is maybe the biggest change of lifestyle i am going through. And two things i have started doing on a regular basis is to sleep on the floor with only a very thin mattress under my body, the second is to now regularly walk barefeet as much as possible (i do carry sandals just in case)

The biggest benetfit i notice has been no more back pain and even my mood has become very good all the time, less stress and worries happen too.

What are your thoughts of floor sleeping and barefeet walking?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Are you following a religious commandment or are you in dire straits?
On this i am following what my body "asked" of me. To find a way to reduce the pain in the body and in same time not go fully extreme.

(how i do live may seem very extreme to some people, and i respect their view of me)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This year is maybe the biggest change of lifestyle i am going through. And two things i have started doing on a regular basis is to sleep on the floor with only a very thin mattress under my body, the second is to now regularly walk barefeet as much as possible (i do carry sandals just in case)

The biggest benetfit i notice has been no more back pain and even my mood has become very good all the time, less stress and worries happen too.

Sounds good to me, but I'd wear the sandals when going outside -- I have a very prickly yard. :(

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If you go barefoot a lot suddenly without proper conditioning of the foot, and especially on hard surfaces, it can lead to plantar fasciitis.
Many folks in many cultures sleep on hard mattresses on the floor. For them it's nothing new.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you go barefoot a lot suddenly without proper conditioning of the foot, and especially on hard surfaces, it can lead to plantar fasciitis.
Many folks in many cultures sleep on hard mattresses on the floor. For them it's nothing new.
It is true that to walk barefeet over time, one do have to be careful what surface to walk on, and try to walk on soft surface mostly. (not so easy in a city of course)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is true that to walk barefeet over time, one do have to be careful what surface to walk on, and try to walk on soft surface mostly. (not so easy in a city of course)
I have plantar fasciitis in one foot, and it's limited long walks for me, and caused pain to the extent that some nights I can't sleep because of it. My post was a warning to a friend. If it starts to hurt, get the sandals on, or maybe slowly increase the duration of it over time. But it's up to you. I'm sure peoples feet differ.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I can't stand socks and shoes. I walk barefeet anywhere it's legal and appropriate...parks, trails, sometimes at the bus stop with quick sandals when the bus arrives.

It's great sleeping on the floor especially in a new home. I had a cott when I moved in and the church said no.. we'll give you a bed. Does better on my back to sleep on the floor, but in nature, I can take it.

Spiritually, it's awesome. Buddhist monks sleep near the ground.

I think you'd like this. The Bhikkhus' Rules: A Guide for Laypeople

If they have silent retreats there I was told they are life changing. No need to be Buddhist just respect the rules and monks of course.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have plantar fasciitis in one foot, and it's limited long walks for me, and caused pain to the extent that some nights I can't sleep because of it. My post was a warning to a friend. If it starts to hurt, get the sandals on, or maybe slowly increase the duration of it over time. But it's up to you. I'm sure peoples feet differ.
I did have a surgery on my left foot a few years and it was because of tendonites in my Achilles

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Watch out for broken glass and other sharp objects
Yup :) I noticed that my awarness is a lot higher about what is around me and especially right in front of the next step i take. So actually this experience with barefoot walking have highten my senses to what is going on, i do not let the mind wander of without me being in the present moment :)

pearl

Except for the cancelation due to covid every we have the Boston Marathon which attracts runners from the world over. Very often the winners are from Ethiopia, and training was usually barefoot.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As a boy, my mother had a hard time getting me to wear even sandals. Now I almost live in sandals. However to go bare footed is very problematic in this day and age.
Even now at 86 my feet and toes are straight, with normal joints, which is a considerable benefit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Thin mattress on a hard surface?
Been there & done that.
I got a thicker mattress.
Tis useful to sleep without pain.

Oh, I'm a big fan of bare feet....winter or summer.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Thin mattress on a hard surface?
Been there & done that.
I got a thicker mattress.
Tis useful to sleep without pain.
I guess it will be different from person to person.
If i sleep on soft mattress i have a lot of pain the next day. So personally harder surface work for my sleeping habbits.

I have tried sleeping in hamock before too, it did strech my body well, but was not a long term solution for me.