• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbara Streisand....WTF !!!!

dianaiad

This is a strange post coming from you. If I'm not mistaken, you have stated that you are not in favor of "political correctness".

Her comments clearly go outside the bounds of political correctness, but that doesn't necessarily make them wrong.

First and foremost, I too put the blame on the parents. Who, in their right minds, allows a ten-year-old to sleep over, unsupervised, in an adult's home? I'm sure the parents got some satisfaction bragging to their friends that they were friends of Michael Jackson.

Y'know, 'political correctness" is a very different concept from "knowing the difference between right and wrong and choosing the right," or even being polite. In fact, political correctness has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with either courtesy or 'choosing the right,' no matter what the 'politically correct' folks think.

What Streisand said was wrong....but I'll bet you anything that it will be seen as politically correct, because, well, it's Streisand.

dianaiad

So you're defending a man accused of child molestation, no????

Now THAT is political correctness defined. Being ACCUSED of child molestation is not the same thing as being convicted of it...or even that there is any evidence to support it. It is politically correct to decide that accusation = conviction when someone who doesn't share their beliefs are accused, but conviction =/=equal guilt if it's one of theirs.

So, yeah, it's fine to defend someone who is accused of child molestation, if one believes that the accusation is:

a...false,
B...convenient and made to destroy the accused's attempt to win an elected office
C Both.

In the above case, it's both.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
But Michael Jackson is accused and never convicted of child molestation too, are you defending him???

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In your mind, would you defend Trump and accuse Streisand?? At least I
am consistent, I oppose all forms of pedophilia, including those that defend it.
I've never defended Trump in matters of sexual assault.
But in this thread, you've used Trump to deflect from Streisand's apologetics.
This enables sexual predation of children. Shame, shame, shame.

PureX

Veteran Member
I can't say that I've ever really cared much about what Barbra Streisand has to say about anything. Sure, she's a good singer, and I fancied a few of her hit singles back in the 70s. I remember the comedy What's Up Doc? which was hilarious. I think I've seen a few of her other movies, but I was never really much of a fan.

Same for Michael Jackson. Honestly, I always thought he was overrated - just a lot of hype. He wrote a few catchy tunes - and then he bought up the rights to all the Beatles' songs. He stood as a poster boy for everything wrong with the plasticization and money-grubbing in music and entertainment. I'm not sure exactly what he did to those kids, but since he's dead now, there's not much more that can be done for them to get justice.
Micheal Jackson, as damaged as he was by his father's abusive quest for money and fame, should be given credit where it's due, I think. It's very hard to stand out or rise above in a creative genre that's already wildly over-populated and absolutely ruled by banality and greed. And yet M.J. did manage to stand out, and rise above, to a spectacular degree when he finally teamed up with Quincy Jones as his producer. I am not a pop music fan by any stretch of that definition, but even I have to tip my hat, occasionally, to those rare few who manage to stand out in a room full to the brim with copycats and posers.

Sad, though, how he ended up. Just goes to show that all that money and fame isn't a reward for wisdom.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But Michael Jackson is accused and never convicted of child molestation too, are you defending him???
Streisand herself predicated her defense (of his having sex with
children) upon his having done it. Thus her remarks cannot be
dismissed by hiding behind lack of criminal conviction.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm meh about famous musicians in general.
A price of fame is that when one speaks, it is widely heard.
And when speech is outrageous, it receives attention.
This struck me as particularly outrageous, but not political.
Boy howdy was I wrong about that.

Yeah, although even if a famous person speaks, it doesn't mean anyone has to listen. Sure, if they say something outrageous, it's going to get people's attention, but that's only because people usually expect them to say something profound and meaningful. But that's only their own illusion, since they view famous people as larger than life and even as "role models," which is kind of ludicrous, but that's how it is.

If it were feasible, I would bet that a site featuring "famous celebrity bowel movements" would get a lot of followers. That's how warped all this celebrity worship has become.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, although even if a famous person speaks, it doesn't mean anyone has to listen. Sure, if they say something outrageous, it's going to get people's attention, but that's only because people usually expect them to say something profound and meaningful. But that's only their own illusion, since they view famous people as larger than life and even as "role models," which is kind of ludicrous, but that's how it is.

If it were feasible, I would bet that a site featuring "famous celebrity bowel movements" would get a lot of followers. That's how warped all this celebrity worship has become.
I'm staking out these domains....
BigwigBowels.com
FamousFudge.com
KardashianKaka.com
LuminaryLumpfish.com
StarStool.com
CelebritySewerSerpents.com

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Please pardon my French in the thread's title, but this news item is just that astounding.

Barbra Streisand says Michael Jackson’s accusers were ‘thrilled to be there’ and his ‘sexual needs were his sexual needs’

Excerpted....
The legendary singer and actress said that Wade Robson and James Safechuck — whose allegations against the late King of Pop resurfaced in the recent documentary “Leaving Neverland" — “were thrilled to be there” and that what allegedly happened to them “didn’t kill them."

Streisand, 76, made the strange comments to British newspaper The Times in a piece out Friday, in which she also said that Jackson’s “sexual needs were his sexual needs.”

She says she “absolutely” believes the allegations of abuse by Robson and Safechuck, but puts more blame on their parents than The Gloved One.

“His sexual needs were his sexual needs, coming from whatever childhood he has or whatever DNA he has," Streisand told The Times. “You can say ‘molested,' but those children, as you heard say [grown-up Robson and Safechuck], they were thrilled to be there. They both married and they both have children, so it didn’t kill them.”

Hollywood....

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Micheal Jackson, as damaged as he was by his father's abusive quest for money and fame, should be given credit where it's due, I think. It's very hard to stand out or rise above in a creative genre that's already wildly over-populated and absolutely ruled by banality and greed. And yet M.J. did manage to stand out, and rise above, to a spectacular degree when he finally teamed up with Quincy Jones as his producer. I am not a pop music fan by any stretch of that definition, but even I have to tip my hat, occasionally, to those rare few who manage to stand out in a room full to the brim with copycats and posers.

Sad, though, how he ended up. Just goes to show that all that money and fame isn't a reward for wisdom.

He did strike me as somewhat troubled in a way. If he did do to those kids what they say he did, then those are unforgivable crimes which should have been punished. However, there were a lot of bands and performers from that era who may not have stood out and garnered as much media attention as Jackson. But they were still pretty darn good. But, as you say, there were a lot of copycats and posers.

I was more into heavy metal and hard rock anyway. I'm a product of the "Disco Sucks" era.

I think what really got to me about Michael Jackson was when he adapted one of his songs into a Pepsi commercial. I kept hearing that commercial on the radio, and it was played a lot. I got to the point where I was sick of Michael Jackson and I was sick of Pepsi.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So we went from someone defending a pedophile and defining them having sex with children as just part of their sexual needs to
but.... Trump..
Possibly because Trump is the sitting president and Streisand is an elderly "icon" who doesn't matter anymore.

Trump has huge support from people who think that my marriage is an abomination.
Etc.

Trump matters and Babs doesn't. That's why Trump's behavior is more relevant and therefore more likely to be discussed.
Tom

PureX

Veteran Member
He did strike me as somewhat troubled in a way. If he did do to those kids what they say he did, then those are unforgivable crimes which should have been punished. However, there were a lot of bands and performers from that era who may not have stood out and garnered as much media attention as Jackson. But they were still pretty darn good. But, as you say, there were a lot of copycats and posers.

I was more into heavy metal and hard rock anyway. I'm a product of the "Disco Sucks" era.

I think what really got to me about Michael Jackson was when he adapted one of his songs into a Pepsi commercial. I kept hearing that commercial on the radio, and it was played a lot. I got to the point where I was sick of Michael Jackson and I was sick of Pepsi.
This is a bit off topic, but there is an artist named Jeff Koons who is as famous in the global art world as Micheal Jackson was in the global pop music world. And whether one likes his work or not, one has to admit to his genius, and his breathtaking virtuosity when it comes to 'playing' that world of insane greed, pathological egotism, and grotesque sicophantism like Mozart played the harpsichord. Koons is so good an artist in that regard, that the collective sickness of what passes for the contemporary 'art world' has literally become his medium of expression, in the way that Micheal Jackson's medium was pop music.

And interestingly enough, here is Jeff Koons with one of my favorite sculptures of his: "Micheal Jackson With Bubbles" It's made of real porcelain, cast in Italy by two brothers who are world famous for their skill at casting large pieces. Larger than any humans, ever, have been able to do before. And as you can see, it's accented with real gold lief. It's worth millions of dollars. And to me, it's wildly emblematic of the spiritual and moral sink-hole that modern culture, and especially the contemporary art world, has collapsed and fallen into.

senatus_fFjCwT.jpg

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand her comments to be defending MJ, but calling it like she saw it.
It is partly their parents fault. MJ shares blame, but he's mentally stunted, not really mature himself, a modern castrato to a large degree. The kids parents on the other hand seem to understand the situation. In this case the parents traffic the children to a mentally deformed man.

PureX

Veteran Member
It is partly their parents fault. MJ shares blame, but he's mentally stunted, not really mature himself, a modern castrato to a large degree. The kids parents on the other hand seem to understand the situation. In this case the parents traffic the children to a mentally deformed man.
Money tends to warp people's morality like mass warps gravity.

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
Money tends to warp people's morality like mass warps gravity.
Its not only that, but people get pleasure from trafficking others. One wonders if God physically created us how this could be so, yet it is obviously. Its not just money that motivates this kind of behavior. These parents gave themselves pleasure at the expense of their children, and they can deny it all they want. They can't change what they are (pimps), and its not good for them to get away with this. It just doesn't fit into the way things work nowadays. Be that as it may I am absolutely in agreement with the children's complaints against MJ. Despite his apparent mental problems he still bears responsibility. Everybody has to be held responsible for what they do.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Sooo...you saying it's alright for someone to sexually abuse children as long as you find them at least mildly entertaining? Good grief, Charlie Brown...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sooo...you saying it's alright for someone to sexually abuse children as long as you find them at least mildly entertaining? Good grief, Charlie Brown...
I think our fellow poster is being so unclear as to obscure his own message.
That's why I didn't respond....I don't know what he intended.