• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore bridge collapse - mass casualties

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That bridge looks pretty fragile. If this is a common waterway for cargoships I wonder why there wasn't better protection for the piers. Apparently this is bridge for an interstate highway, so crucial and highly used. This is going to be a serious blow to the region's transportation.
I was wondering why a cargo ship was there in the first place.

esmith

Veteran Member
I expect to hear that the ship could have dropped anchor and prevented the accident by some pundents; which in this case wasn't possible according to the following.

F1fan

Veteran Member
All bridges are fragile....regarding being hit by ships.
This is because it's not cost effective to make a bridge
so strong that it can withstand a colliding large ship.
More practical is to have protective barriers for piers.
An example....
Why no such protection for this bridge?
I don't know.
Apparently there was discussion about installing some sort of "bumpers" around the piers given the port. No doubt cost is always an issue, but in hindsight how much will the collapse cost? It's estimated to take 2 years before a new bridge is open.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Apparently there was discussion about installing some sort of "bumpers" around the piers given the port. No doubt cost is always an issue, but in hindsight how much will the collapse cost? It's estimated to take 2 years before a new bridge is open.
I would have thought 2-years is very optimistic. Design could take 6-months or longer, you've also got to salvage the wreckage out of the river, then there is ground investigation to do, although hopefully there exists some from the original bridge.
I would expect that the shipping company's insurers will be liable for most of the costs.

PureX

Veteran Member
The good news if we want to call it that is that it happened when there was not much traffic on the bridge. If it had fallen during rush hour many, many more lives would have been lost.

PureX

Veteran Member
I read that the crew tried to drop anchor but power failure prevented it.
That's a common stopping tactic for ships. I was on a ship that had to do that once when the engine wouldn't reverse while entering a lock. I don't believe that a loss of power would have prevented dropping anchors, but maybe. Unfortunately, a fully loaded ship will not stop short regardless.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Factors they consider....
- Cost of barriers.
- Probability of collision.
- Cost of collision.

Container ships were much smaller when this bridge was
constructed. I'll bet they didn't anticipate larger modern
ones. And this ship is far from the biggest.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I must confess that, after that bridge collapse of I-35 in Minnesota several years ago, I have developed a somewhat irrational fear of crossing bridges. The clinical term for it is "Gephyrophobia," a fear of bridges and tunnels, although I don't seem to have a problem with tunnels. Fortunately, where I live, there are no large bodies of water or any real rivers to speak of, so I don't encounter the issue that much when driving locally.

Apparently, there are some bridges where there are services available to drive people's cars over the bridge for them if they're unable to do it. I don't think I would need to utilize such services myself, but I guess it's good to know just the same.

I was going over the Tappen Zee Bridge one time and decided to roll down all the windows of the car. I figured if the bridge collapsed, I'd be better off if I could get out of the car quickly and swim to shore. I'm not sure if that would have been the best strategy, but fortunately, the bridge didn't collapse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I must confess that, after that bridge collapse of I-35 in Minnesota several years ago, I have developed a somewhat irrational fear of crossing bridges. The clinical term for it is "Gephyrophobia," a fear of bridges and tunnels, although I don't seem to have a problem with tunnels. Fortunately, where I live, there are no large bodies of water or any real rivers to speak of, so I don't encounter the issue that much when driving locally.

Apparently, there are some bridges where there are services available to drive people's cars over the bridge for them if they're unable to do it. I don't think I would need to utilize such services myself, but I guess it's good to know just the same.

I was going over the Tappen Zee Bridge one time and decided to roll down all the windows of the car. I figured if the bridge collapsed, I'd be better off if I could get out of the car quickly and swim to shore. I'm not sure if that would have been the best strategy, but fortunately, the bridge didn't collapse.
If you think the Tappen Zee Bridge is bad,
stay away from the Zilwaukee & Mackinac
bridges in MI.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I expect to hear that the ship could have dropped anchor and prevented the accident by some pundents; which in this case wasn't possible according to the following.
Well this seems to explain why it probably wasn't possible (from the article), and apart from just ripping the anchor off the seabed:

At slower speeds, it’s possible to drop anchors and drag them on the seafloor to gradually pull the ship to a halt, but McManus notes that this requires precision in the amount of anchor chain is released. Too little, and the anchors won’t cause enough drag on the seafloor; too much, and they’ll catch, ripping away at the sides of the ship and likely breaking off completely. “It’s a very dangerous maneuver,” McManus says. “They just didn’t have time to do it.”

F1fan

Veteran Member

I suggest you watch this every time you have anxiety about driving over a bridge.

See, it could be worse.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I suggest you watch this every time you have anxiety about driving over a bridge.

See, it could be worse.

I've seen that footage, as well as footage of the I-35 bridge collapse. I'll still cross bridges if I have to, and I figure I'll get across in one piece. But I'm also in a somewhat alerted and heightened state of mind, trying to prepare my mind in case the bridge should fall out from under me. I remember being in a traffic jam on a very long bridge approaching New Orleans. I was looking around trying to scout for the closest patch of land.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've seen that footage, as well as footage of the I-35 bridge collapse. I'll still cross bridges if I have to, and I figure I'll get across in one piece. But I'm also in a somewhat alerted and heightened state of mind, trying to prepare my mind in case the bridge should fall out from under me. I remember being in a traffic jam on a very long bridge approaching New Orleans. I was looking around trying to scout for the closest patch of land.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That's a common stopping tactic for ships. I was on a ship that had to do that once when the engine wouldn't reverse while entering a lock. I don't believe that a loss of power would have prevented dropping anchors, but maybe. Unfortunately, a fully loaded ship will not stop short regardless.

Even with an anchor drop depending on cargo weight, chain drag length, harbor depth and composition, etc, it may not have even done anything.

Colt

A container ship collided with the Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore this morning. Vehicles trapped on bridge can be seen falling into river, if you're squeamish don't watch any footage please. Officials have declared a mass casualty event and rescues are under way. We'll know more later on today. Since this is a religious forum, if you believe in prayer, this would be a good time for that. If for nothing else to extend deep sympathy for victims and their families.

Watch there will be an emergency funding bill which will include funding for Ukraine, student loan bailout etc. 10% will go to fix the bridge.

Clizby Wampuscat

Watch there will be an emergency funding bill which will include funding for Ukraine, student loan bailout etc. 10% will go to fix the bridge.
Biden already said the federal government will pay for it all.

“I have directed my team to move heaven and earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible,” Biden told reporters in the White House‘s Roosevelt Room Tuesday. “It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge. And I expect Congress to support my effort.”

I think you are right.