• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ball of Confusion!

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Uggggghhhhh...

I can't seem to get my head on straight when it comes to figuring out what I believe. (Or at least, if my current belief makes any sense to me anymore.)

I've been a monotheist for practically my entire life, but polytheism was always very attractive to me, too. I am, truthfully, very fond this conception. I can understand why a person would believe in this. However, lately, I've begun to question why I am a monotheist. I feel as though I am only so because I was taught this as a younger child. So, anything outside of this, I have a difficulty fully engaging with.

I don't have anything against monotheism, though. I'm just eternally drawn to another conception, but I don't know how to deeply engage with it. Can anyone help me?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It sounds like you would benefit from studying various alternatives until you discover what is truly your own conception. There are many forms of both monotheism and polytheism and even some frames-of-reference that combine the two.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Uggggghhhhh...

I can't seem to get my head on straight when it comes to figuring out what I believe. (Or at least, if my current belief makes any sense to me anymore.)

I've been a monotheist for practically my entire life, but polytheism was always very attractive to me, too. I am, truthfully, very fond this conception. I can understand why a person would believe in this. However, lately, I've begun to question why I am a monotheist. I feel as though I am only so because I was taught this as a younger child. So, anything outside of this, I have a difficulty fully engaging with.

I don't have anything against monotheism, though. I'm just eternally drawn to another conception, but I don't know how to deeply engage with it. Can anyone help me?

Through a process of prayer and mediation work out what is the best path for you. Trust in that process and live (however inadequately) according to the highest principles you can. You need to work out what is right for you and no one else can do that for you.

All the best with that.:)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe at heart you truly are a monotheist. There are times when I feel Paganism is quite attractive but at my core I'm, and always have been, a monotheist. Perhaps you could explore Zoroastrianism.

I'd like to talk this through further but I don't really feel comfortable suggesting that you practice polytheism or Paganism.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Uggggghhhhh...

I think you're 'stewing' over nothing. The only real difference between monotheism and polytheism is in how one views the various manifestations of the Divine realm/spirit. For example, that divine spirit may manifest in us as an appreciation for the uniqueness of our fellow humans. Or it may manifest in us as a deep and abiding love for a spouse. So do you view these as different manifestations of the same divine spirit within you? Or do you view them as manifestations of different divine spirits you?

These different ways of viewing the manifestations of divine spirit are what define polytheism from monotheism. And in most polytheistic religions that I am aware of, the different god-manifestations are sourced from a singular "godhead", anyway. So really there is no significant difference between them.

My suggestion would be to allow yourself to employ BOTH views simultaneously, as they are not mutually exclusive, and they are really just a matter of personal preference. A god of many names and "personality manifestations", or a god with one name and one spirit, manifesting in many different ways in your life.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
DJ, How about just dropping all thinking about it for awhile? Start reading good fiction books, or get really interested in a hobby. The circle of confusion remains there in 'thinking about it' mode. Six months at least.

Just another suggestion.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In most practical respects, it boils down to asking this simple question: do you worship one thing or do you worship many things?

If you can stand the idea of worshiping only one thing for your entire life then monotheism will work for you. If not, then it won't work for you.

As for how to engage polytheism, it's also pretty simple when we get right down to it - worship many things. What that looks like is up to you.

Sundance

Premium Member
DJ, How about just dropping all thinking about it for awhile? Start reading good fiction books, or get really interested in a hobby. The circle of confusion remains there in 'thinking about it' mode. Six months at least.

Just another suggestion.

That's another thing I've thought about, dearest Vinayaka. Is my constant worry about this conducive to my happiness in life? I'm suspecting not. Thank you for the thoughtful suggestion. I just feel as though my answer is out there somewhere.

Last edited:

Sundance

Premium Member
In most practical respects, it boils down to asking this simple question: do you worship one thing or do you worship many things?

If you can stand the idea of worshiping only one thing for your entire life then monotheism will work for you. If not, then it won't work for you.

As for how to engage polytheism, it's also pretty simple when we get right down to it - worship many things. What that looks like is up to you.

I seem to be strongly attracted to worshipping many things, Q. Thank you.

Sundance

Premium Member
I think you're 'stewing' over nothing. The only real difference between monotheism and polytheism is in how one views the various manifestations of the Divine realm/spirit. For example, that divine spirit may manifest in us as an appreciation for the uniqueness of our fellow humans. Or it may manifest in us as a deep and abiding love for a spouse. So do you view these as different manifestations of the same divine spirit within you? Or do you view them as manifestations of different divine spirits you?

These different ways of viewing the manifestations of divine spirit are what define polytheism from monotheism. And in most polytheistic religions that I am aware of, the different god-manifestations are sourced from a singular "godhead", anyway. So really there is no significant difference between them.

My suggestion would be to allow yourself to employ BOTH views simultaneously, as they are not mutually exclusive, and they are really just a matter of personal preference. A god of many names and "personality manifestations", or a god with one name and one spirit, manifesting in many different ways in your life.

Hmmmmmmm.....this is worth contemplating, @PureX. Thank you.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I seem to be strongly attracted to worshipping many things, Q. Thank you.

Let's pause and consider something else here. As others have more or less pointed out, having an aesthetic appreciation of something (or attraction to something) and actively engaging with it (or practicing something) are two very different things. Many people appreciate the aesthetics of different genres of art, but don't enjoy doing art themselves, for example.

Really think about the doing aspect. When it comes to practice and behavior, do you see yourself actively worshiping one deity or many? Does the notion of honoring many different gods in one religious service appeal to you, or does it sound too complicated? Do you feel that being devout to a single deity makes for a stronger and more meaningful relationship, or are you comfortable dividing your time and attention amongst many?

Sundance

Premium Member
Let's pause and consider something else here. As others have more or less pointed out, having an aesthetic appreciation of something (or attraction to something) and actively engaging with it (or practicing something) are two very different things. Many people appreciate the aesthetics of different genres of art, but don't enjoy doing art themselves, for example.

Really think about the doing aspect. When it comes to practice and behavior, do you see yourself actively worshiping one deity or many? Does the notion of honoring many different gods in one religious service appeal to you, or does it sound too complicated? Do you feel that being devout to a single deity makes for a stronger and more meaningful relationship, or are you comfortable dividing your time and attention amongst many?

To use a sort of loose analogy, Q, I recognize that there a billions of people in the world. Of those more than seven billion, I work with about sixty. Of those sixty, I only have very personal associations with 2 or 3 each being very different.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that on one hand, I do understand that gods are different (there are many different deities in the world). For me, though, my personal associations as of now – realistically – belong to maybe 4 or 5, at the most, 3 of them belonging to the same culture.

Honoring multiple different deities simultaneously wouldn't pose a very serious issue for me, unless they were from different cultures.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To use a sort of loose analogy, Q, I recognize that there a billions of people in the world. Of those more than seven billion, I work with about sixty. Of those sixty, I only have very personal associations with 2 or gods each being very different.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that on one hand, I do understand that gods are different (there are many different deities in the world). For me, though, my personal associations as of now – realistically – belong to maybe 4 or 5, at the most, 3 of them belonging to the same culture.

Honoring multiple different deities simultaneously wouldn't pose a very serious issue for me, unless they were from different cultures.

It's good that you've put some thought into this - that's mainly what I'm aiming to prompt. Monotheism isn't for everyone, and neither is polytheism.

It can be tough to figure out what's best for you. I suspect at least some of your struggle stems from the fact that polytheism has been systematically oppressed and marginalized in Western culture for quite some time. We have a very poor understanding of polytheism here, and have to unlearn a lot of what we were taught about what "god" means. Both classical monotheists and atheists make claims about the nature of gods that fall flat in a polytheistic context. That was a really challenging step for me in my journey, so I sympathize with the confusion. After a while, things start making more sense.

Sundance

Premium Member
It's good that you've put some thought into this - that's mainly what I'm aiming to prompt. Monotheism isn't for everyone, and neither is polytheism.

It can be tough to figure out what's best for you. I suspect at least some of your struggle stems from the fact that polytheism has been systematically oppressed and marginalized in Western culture for quite some time. We have a very poor understanding of polytheism here, and have to unlearn a lot of what we were taught about what "god" means. Both classical monotheists and atheists make claims about the nature of gods that fall flat in a polytheistic context. That was a really challenging step for me in my journey, so I sympathize with the confusion. After a while, things start making more sense.

I am learning to put more thought into what my understanding of life, so I do appreciate the recognition here. In general, I very greatly appreciate the thoughtfulness. :)