• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bahrain and Libya

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
From what I have read today, even his own Ambassadors (to say nothing of the military) are deserting him. Considering how callously he is killing his own people, I can't say that I am surprised.

It is quite reassuring to see those people stand up for their own, btw. :)

Alceste

Vagabond
Heard in the news that the protesters in Bahrain are Iranian Shia Muslim Migrants who wants to have Bahrain Citizenship/Recognition because they have no IDs.

These migrants made their way to Bahrain by means of a boat, with no travel documents, due to its proximity in Iran. Most of them were able to raise a family. Of course, their children will also have no ID.

Because they are illegal aliens, they couldn't obtain decent jobs. Hence, they are protesting. As expected, the Bahraini Government is not inclined to accommodate all illegal aliens that comes to their country.

Most skeptics are believing Iran or Hezbollah might have a hand on it.
How ridiculous.

kai

ragamuffin
i am still a little surprised in the lack of interest here in RFcompared to Egypt. what does anyone think of the no fly zone idea. That doesn't seem to be getting much support. Military action is out of course, we dont want to oust a dictator and find our troops in the middle of a civil war , been there! done! that got the T shirt.

BBC News - Libya unrest: UN urges mass border evacuation

Rakhel

The US has ships in the area, "no military action is planned," but for "humanitarian reasons." Libya is no longer on the UN Human Rights Committee, and Khadafi is ****** that their ally against Al Quada, the US, is just standing by while he is fighting "terrorists."

BTW NYpost readers think Charlie Sheen is nuttier than Khadafi.

Bismillah

Submit
Does anyone else know the extent Ghadaffi controls Libya?

My friends laughed at me when I said that there might be civil war in Libya, citing the dissension in Eastern Libya, but he still firmly holds Tripoli.

From my understanding he has been rejected by his own tribe even as well as cut off from oil in the East. But he has attacked several cities and still appears to have some sort of loyalist support.

Any articles on the topic?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The west is sitting and waiting. There is very little they can do, except help remove those who want to leave. The USA would not want another military involvement. They have virtually vetoed the no fly zone suggested by Cameron. I suspect the SAS who went in to help get our workers out of the desert are still in the region. However we will never hear if they get involved, but they will certainly be gathering intelligence.

Bismillah

Submit
rakhel from the article linked it seems to throw into doubt about the possibility of instituting a no-fly zone, not that it has been instituted.

article said:
A decision by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization alliance to enforce a no-fly zone in Libya would require a new United Nations Security Council resolution, NATO's civilian head said, adding to skepticism about the likelihood of such a move.

Rakhel

I don't know. they were talking about it here on the news that it had been instituted. Only they were saying it was a UN decision.
I will see if I can find the station that said it and post the article.

EDIT: the media must have misspoken. The un press releases are saying that while China requested it, the has been no official proposal on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

kai

ragamuffin
Libya protests: No-fly zone - bluff or reality

BBC News - Libya protests: No-fly zone - bluff or reality?

do Libyans really want western planes bombing airfields and radar installations? Libyans will be killed , On the one hand i ask myself haven't we learned our lesson in Iraq about western intervention in Arab goings on.

Then on the other hand i would love to see Gadaffi ousted and his ability to air strike curtailed.

Rakhel

International Criminal Court investigates Libya violence in response to UN request

3 March 2011 – The Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) said today he is investigating alleged crimes against humanity committed in Libya, including by President Muammar Al-Qadhafi and members of his inner circle, following a request from the United Nations Security Council to probe the violent crackdown on protesters.
“There will be no impunity in Libya,” Luis Moreno-Ocampo told a news briefing in The Hague, where the Court is based. “No one has authority to attack and massacre civilians.”

International Criminal Court investigates Libya violence in response to UN request

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
The United States is known to be the policeman
of the countries in the world.

The Americans spearheaded the war to end the aggression
Germany and Japan. That was their greatest
contribution to mankind.

They sent troops to vietnam which resulted in
the death of 50,000 american soldiers.

They indulged themselves in the Iraqi and
Afghan wars but they did not accomplish
anything significant.