• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bahrain and Libya

Bismillah

Submit
When do you think people will say Iran has ties to the protests in Bahrain?

I do not know much about Libya and the regime itself, but given the fact that the Shias in Bahrain have long been discounted with the Sunni rulers, I'd say their protests will be built on heartfelt and massively appealing grievances.

Bismillah

Submit
Saudi involvement in Bahrain

An expert with close ties to the powerful Saudi Interior Minister Prince Nayef told me the Saudi government will intervene if the situation "gets out of hand".
Gala Riani of Jane's Weekly concurs, saying the Saudis would not be loath to lend support - and in a worst-case scenario to intervene directly - should the Bahraini authorities not be able to control the demonstrations.

BBC News - Bahrain protests prompt global concerns

kai

ragamuffin
Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
this isn't getting as much attention as Egypt ! why is that?
Well I think in Egypt the number of actual protesters were much larger and two these all happened during the same time frame whereas Egypt was the only thing the media could focus on.

I think they will garner more attention if these protests continue to grow in number.

kai

ragamuffin
Well I think in Egypt the number of actual protesters were much larger and two these all happened during the same time frame whereas Egypt was the only thing the media could focus on.

I think they will garner more attention if these protests continue to grow in number.

I hope so!

kai

ragamuffin
Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
still not much interest on the forum ? is it boring now this wind of change?
I don't know maybe the appeal was lost on some people.

Also Gaddafi has done a good job cracking down on press reporting his inhumane killing of protesters.

I don't think these protests will simply go away though, with or without international interest.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Libyan troops have opened fire with machine-guns and large-calibre weapons on anti-government protesters in the second city Benghazi, witnesses say.

BBC News - Libya protests: Reports of intense Benghazi violence

Thousands of anti-government protesters in Bahrain have resumed an occupation of Pearl Square, the focal point of protests in the capital Manama.
BBC News - Bahrain unrest: Protesters reoccupy Pearl Square

still not much interest on the forum ? is it boring now this wind of change?

Is it a wind of change or a wind of much of the same,i hope not,i really do hope theres such a thing as universal common sense

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Lybia has been living under a caudilho for decades now, and a particularly nutso one at that. And before that it was occupied by Italy, itself just barely a nation at the time.

I can only assume they forgot (or never learned) what true political cidadany is like, and aren't likely to have a good idea of what they want for their political present and future.

True change takes time to solidify.

croak

Trickster
BBC said:
Details have emerged of huge casualty figures in the Libyan city of Benghazi, where troops have launched a brutal crackdown on protesters.

More than 200 people are known to have died, doctors say, with 900 injured.

The most bloody attacks were reported over the weekend, as funeral marches were said to have come under machine-gun and heavy weapons fire.
BBC News - Libya unrest: Scores killed in Benghazi 'massacre'

I fear it will only get worse. And, unlike before with Iraq, I don't think the US would be interested in saving the people from a brutal dictator. I'm curious to see what statement will come from the US.