• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i and Messengers

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I don't suspect that Baha'is believe the story really happened, but if it did, then God put the tree right there in the middle of the garden. The fruit looked and smelled good. Then God allowed or maybe even put the serpent there knowing that the serpent could and will tempt Eve and her to take a bite of the fruit. And she could get Adam to try it too. God knew. But it's just a story.

But if a parent did something similar to their kids, what would we think? They have a camera recording it and hide behind a see-through mirror. They told their kids don't eat the cookies we put right in front of you on the table... you'll spoil your dinner. They leave. A knock on the door. It's their aunt. She says, "Oh my what delicious looking cookies. Why aren't you eating them?" "Mom and Dad said not to. It will spoil our appetite for dinner." "Oh, is that so. Listen, what is it going to hurt to just eat one?' So, the kids eat one. The parents come out and say, "We told you not to eat the cookies. You disobeyed us. You can't be trusted." "But Auntie said it was okay." "Is she your boss? Does she make the rules around here? You kids will have no dinner tonight. And from now on, your aunt is not allowed to see you. You will have to do chores before you get any food. This you brought on yourselves for disobeying."

It was a setup, a trap. God knew just like the parents knew the kids would fail. Why put a tempter and the temptation right in front of them? But if the Bible story is just a fictional story, what was it trying to convey? Obey God at all times and don't give in to temptations? But in the story Adam did fail and caused God to have to curse him and the world. Which then is used to explain why the world is so messed up.

CG Happy Birthday! I wish you long life, good health and prosperity.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Rev 11:2 Gentiles... will trample on the holy city for 42 months.​
When did Jerusalem get trampled by Gentiles? Did Jerusalem get trampled by Gentiles in 621AD? When did Islam take control of Jerusalem? When did the Umayyads gain power? When did the Abbasids? Did they have authority for 42 months or the 1260 years? Sorry, too vague.
Roman Period (70 - 324 CE)
  • 70 CE - Roman Forces Destroy Jerusalem and Demolish Second Temple
  • 135 CE - Jerusalem Rebuilt as a Roman City
Byzantine Period (324-638 CE)
  • 614 CE - Persians Capture Jerusalem
  • 629 CE - Byzantine Christians Recapture Jerusalem from Persians
First Muslim Period (638-1099 CE)
  • 638 CE - Caliph Omar Enters Jerusalem
  • 661-750 CE - Jerusalem Ruled Under Umayyad Dynasty
  • 691 CE - Dome of the Rock Built on Site of Destroyed Jewish Temples
  • 750-974 CE - Jerusalem Ruled Under Abassid Dynasty
Crusader Period (1099-1187 CE)
  • 1099 CE - First Crusaders Capture Jerusalem
Ayyubid Period (1187-1259 CE)
  • 1187 CE - Saladin Captures Jerusalem from Crusaders
  • 1229-1244 CE - Crusaders Briefly Recapture Jerusalem Two Times
Mamluk Period (1250-1516)
  • 1250 - Muslim Caliph Dismantles Walls of Jerusalem; Population Rapidly Declines
Ottoman Period (1516-1917)

Also in Luke 24:21 Christ refers to the time of His return.

And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

‘Until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled’ is given by Christ in Revelation as 42 months which is 1260 years which is 1844.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It continued until the year 1260 (1844) when the Jews were permitted to return to the Holy Land.

“This state of affairs continued until the year 1260. This 1,260 years is a prophecy concerning the advent of the Báb, the “Gate” leading to Bahá’u’lláh, which took place in the year A.H. 1260. As the period of 1,260 years has been completed, the Holy City of Jerusalem is now beginning to prosper and flourish again.”

Excerpt from
Some Answered Questions
‘Abdu’l‑Bahá
This material may be protected by copyright.

Excerpt from
Some Answered Questions
‘Abdu’l‑Bahá
This material may be protected by copyright.

‘Abdu’l‑Bahá
My point is only that all those things don't start and end at the same time. Six times things are made to be 1260 years. I don't agree with the Baha'i interpretation.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
My point is only that all those things don't start and end at the same time. Six times things are made to be 1260 years. I don't agree with the Baha'i interpretation.

In Luke 21:24 Christ refers to the end of the times of the Gentiles which ended in 1844 when the Jews were permitted to return to the Holy Land. It still equates and confirms the 1260 years of the Muslim calendar which is referred to by Abdul-Baha and by Revelation. Either way it’s proven beyond any doubt that 1844 is being referred to and the Bab.

Last edited:

ppp

Are you sure you meant Luke 24: 21?

“About Jesus of Nazareth,”(R) they replied. “He was a prophet,(S) powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 20 The chief priests and our rulers(T) handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel.(U) And what is more, it is the third day(V) since all this took place. 22 In addition, some of our women amazed us.(W) They went to the tomb early this morning 23 but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. 24 Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.”(X)

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Are you sure you meant Luke 24: 21?

“About Jesus of Nazareth,”(R) they replied. “He was a prophet,(S) powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 20 The chief priests and our rulers(T) handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel.(U) And what is more, it is the third day(V) since all this took place. 22 In addition, some of our women amazed us.(W) They went to the tomb early this morning 23 but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. 24 Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.”(X)

Luke 21:24 my wrong.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

I do not know why you think that has any specificity what so ever. "the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled." can be spun to mean anything and anytme.

The times of the gentiles fulfilled is referring to when Jerusalem having being overtaken by non Jews, when it will be returned to them which was 1844 Ad or 1260 AH which was mentioned in Revelation ch 11.

ppp

The times of the gentiles fulfilled is referring to when Jerusalem having being overtaken by non Jews

Which could be almost any of these.
Sack of Jerusalem (925 BCE), by Pharaoh Shishaq, from biblical narrative
Assyrian siege of Jerusalem (701 BCE) by Sennacherib, king of the Neo-Assyrian Empire
Siege of Jerusalem (597 BCE) by Nebuchadnezzar II of the Neo-Babylonian Empire
Siege of Jerusalem (587 BCE) and destruction of the city and the First Temple by Nebuchadnezzar II
Siege of Jerusalem (162 BCE) by Seleucid general Lysias
Siege of Jerusalem (134 BCE) by Seleucid king Antiochus VII Sidetes
Siege of Jerusalem (67 BCE) by Aristobulus II of Judea against his brother, beginning the Hasmonean Civil War
Siege of Jerusalem (64 BCE) by Hyrcanus II and allied Nabateans against his brother Aristobulus II
Siege of Jerusalem (63 BCE) by Pompey the Great, intervening in the Hasmonean civil war
Siege of Jerusalem (70 CE) by Titus, ending the major phase of the First Jewish–Roman War
Sasanian conquest of Jerusalem (614) by Shahrbaraz, part of the Roman-Persian Wars
Siege of Jerusalem (636–637) by Khalid ibn al-Walid; first Muslim conquest of the city
Capture of Jerusalem by Atsiz ibn Uwaq (1073 and 1077), Turcoman mercenary commander
Siege of Jerusalem (1099) by the Crusaders in the First Crusade
Siege of Jerusalem (1187) by Saladin, resulting in the capture of the city by the Ayyubid Muslims
Siege of Jerusalem (1834) by Arab villagers during the 1834 Arab revolt in Palestine
Battle of Jerusalem (1917), the city is captured by British and Commonwealth forces during the Sinai and Palestine campaign of World War I

Im, sorry, but that prophecy is too vague. Moving on.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Which could be almost any of these.
Sack of Jerusalem (925 BCE), by Pharaoh Shishaq, from biblical narrative
Assyrian siege of Jerusalem (701 BCE) by Sennacherib, king of the Neo-Assyrian Empire
Siege of Jerusalem (597 BCE) by Nebuchadnezzar II of the Neo-Babylonian Empire
Siege of Jerusalem (587 BCE) and destruction of the city and the First Temple by Nebuchadnezzar II
Siege of Jerusalem (162 BCE) by Seleucid general Lysias
Siege of Jerusalem (134 BCE) by Seleucid king Antiochus VII Sidetes
Siege of Jerusalem (67 BCE) by Aristobulus II of Judea against his brother, beginning the Hasmonean Civil War
Siege of Jerusalem (64 BCE) by Hyrcanus II and allied Nabateans against his brother Aristobulus II
Siege of Jerusalem (63 BCE) by Pompey the Great, intervening in the Hasmonean civil war
Siege of Jerusalem (70 CE) by Titus, ending the major phase of the First Jewish–Roman War
Sasanian conquest of Jerusalem (614) by Shahrbaraz, part of the Roman-Persian Wars
Siege of Jerusalem (636–637) by Khalid ibn al-Walid; first Muslim conquest of the city
Capture of Jerusalem by Atsiz ibn Uwaq (1073 and 1077), Turcoman mercenary commander
Siege of Jerusalem (1099) by the Crusaders in the First Crusade
Siege of Jerusalem (1187) by Saladin, resulting in the capture of the city by the Ayyubid Muslims
Siege of Jerusalem (1834) by Arab villagers during the 1834 Arab revolt in Palestine
Battle of Jerusalem (1917), the city is captured by British and Commonwealth forces during the Sinai and Palestine campaign of World War I

Im, sorry, but that prophecy is too vague. Moving on.

You’ve missed the point entirely. It’s about when the Jews are finally permitted to return to the Holy Land which was 1844.

The ‘time of the gentiles being ‘fulfilled” refers to the time when the Jews can return to Israel. That began in 1844.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You’ve missed the point entirely. It’s about when the Jews are finally permitted to return to the Holy Land which was 1844.
The ‘time of the gentiles being ‘fulfilled” refers to the time when the Jews can return to Israel. That began in 1844.
You mean there were no Jews in the area which constitutes Israel today prior to 1844? That is a silly idea. That is what happens when you believe these false prophecies blindly. :D

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
These Manifestations are connections to God. God's attributes flow through them. If one has a direct connection with Them in a spiritual sense, they will be raised to a higher spiritual level. This does not mean that all nonbelievers are "evil", just that this connection is missing in a direct sense. All believers don't have this connection through the Manifestations. They can have "evil" characteristics. In fact the amount of connection with God of all is relative. There is no one that is purely evil or purely good.
I really am sorry to say, but your response all boils down to "I said so, so there". Ok, as you say then.....tnx

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
All I can say is that you can claim that that is 'fulfilled' as much as you can any other time.
No, it could not apply to any of those other events because Jesus did not return after those events.

Three specific promises were made by Jesus to His disciples. Jesus said that when these three things came to pass, He would return to earth.

The first promise: His Gospel would be preached everywhere on earth.

The second promise: The “times of the Gentiles” would be fulfilled, and the Jews would return to Israel (Palestine).

The third promise: All mankind would see “the abomination of desolation” foretold by Daniel the Prophet.

For now, let’s look at that second promise: The “times of the Gentiles” would be fulfilled, and the Jews would return to Israel (Palestine).

The second promise of Christ was just as easy to find. It was in the twenty-first chapter of Luke. This promise was also made by Christ in reply to a direct question asked by His disciples. They asked Him:

“… When shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?” (Luke 21:7).

Christ warned them of false prophets in that day, who would bear His name, then He gave them His second promise by which they could be sure of His own return. He said:

“And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled … And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.” (Luke 21:24–27.)

The meaning of the term ‘times of the Gentiles’ was familiar and clear to Scriptural scholars. I learned that it denoted that period of time during which Jerusalem would be held in the power of aliens, non-Jews (or Gentiles), and during which the Jews themselves would be excluded from their homeland.

In plain words, Christ promised that He would return to earth when the Jews came back to their homeland following their period of banishment. Thus, in the hour of their return, the ‘times of the Gentiles’ would be fulfilled.

I made a careful study of Christ’s second promise. The first part of it said: “They shall be led away captive into all nations.” I found that within forty years of His crucifixion, this part of His promise began its fulfilment.

Jerusalem was destroyed by the Roman Titus, in AD 70, and the Jews were scattered and exiled. The Jews tried to regain their freedom in AD 132 under Bar Kochba, but they were crushed by the armies of the Roman Emperor Hadrian. This time Jerusalem was devastated even more completely than it had been by Titus. The site of the city was ploughed under and a new city, named in honour of Hadrian, was built upon the ruins.

The Jews were banished. Many of them, exactly as had been foretold by Christ, fell ‘by the edge of the sword’. They fled, scattered and were ‘led away captive into all nations’.

It was permissible for colonists to enter Jerusalem, but it was a crime punishable by death for a Jew to enter.

The Romans were the first aliens (Gentiles) after the time of Christ to tread down the holy city of Jerusalem. The next aliens to seize and hold it captive were the Muslims. They conquered

Jerusalem in AD 637 and upon the foundation of the Temple of Solomon, they

raised the Mosque of Omar. During their period of occupation, Jews were largely excluded from their homeland, the few remaining being proscribed.

The restriction came to end in the year 1844. Remarkable!

The famous Irish scholar and author, George Townshend writes, “… the strict exclusion of the Jews from their own land enforced by the Muslims for some twelve centuries was at last relaxed by the Edict of Toleration and the ‘times of the Gentiles’ were fulfilled.” (God Passes By, Shoghi Effendi, 1944 (Introduction by G. Townsend), p. iv)

Townshend further points out that this document, the Edict of Toleration, was issued by the governing authorities in the year 1844.

Worth Smith also mentions this Edict in his Miracle of the Ages. He points out: “In the year of AD 1844 … the (Muslims) under the leadership of Turkey were compelled by the Western Powers, notably England, to grant religious toleration to all (nations) within their borders.”

This included the Holy Land, Palestine. I was able to secure and study copies of the original letters and documents that led to the signing of the so-called Edict of Toleration in 1844. The Turkish Government agreed to permit religious freedom and signed the document that guaranteed that ‘The Sublime Porte (Constantinople) engages to take effectual measures to prevent henceforward’ any further religious intolerance. For the first time in twelve hundred years the Jews were guaranteed the right to return to Israel in freedom and security. The date on this document was 21 March 1844.

Bickersteth in A Practical Guide to the Prophecies, wrote: “In a letter from Tangiers, date 20 June 1844, given in the public journals, speaking of the difficulties besetting the kingdom of Morocco, it sated: ‘It seems that the Moors (Muslims) have always had forebodings of this year. For a long time they have been exhorting each other to beware of 1260 (1844) which according to our reckoning is the present year’.”

These millennial scholars found strong confirmation in the New Testament itself that 1844 was the year intended by Christ for the fulfilment of His second promise concerning the ‘times of the Gentiles’. This confirmation came from the Book of Revelation. In chapter eleven it states:

‘And the Holy City (Jerusalem) shall they tread under foot for forty and two months.’

Thus, for the first time in the Scriptures, the exact duration of the ‘times of the Gentiles’ is given. It will be for forty–two months. In the next verse of Revelation this period of time is given in yet another way. It is said that it will last for ‘1,260 days’.

Bible scholars insisted that the end of this period of forty–two months or 1,260 days was identical with the year 1844. This fascinated me, so I set down their process of reasoning. They arrived at this conclusion by the following deductions:

1. In the study of biblical prophecy, the period of time called a ‘day’ becomes a ‘year’ when calculating the passing of time:

2. This theory was supported by the following prophecies.

a) Numbers 14:34. “Even forty days, each day for a year.”

b) Ezekiel 4:6. “I have appointed thee each day for a year.”

There was general agreement on this formula.

In the compilation The Story of Prophecy by Henry James Forman, I found the following: “… Biblical prophecy students, after a scrutiny of the entire problem of Bible chronology, deduce the following conclusions as virtually axiomatic—namely, that (1) ‘In symbolic prophecy a day is the symbol for a year …’”

On this same subject, F. Hudgings in his Zionism in Prophecy writes: “A solar year, of course, contains a fraction over 365 days, but in computing ‘symbolic time’ as it is set forth in the Scripture, students of prophecy find that the writers simply divided the year into 12 months of 30 days each. In other words, a time or a year in Scriptural symbology refers to 360 solar years—each day representing a year.”

Further study revealed that it was not such an arbitrary choice on the part of these students of Scripture as might at first appear.

Their measuring rod was taken from the first book of the Bible, Genesis. The axiom of 360 days for a year or a time was derived from the following verses:

1. Genesis 7:11—The waters of the flood came on the 17th day of the second month.

2. Genesis 8:4—The waters abated and ceased on the 17th day of the seventh month.

3. Genesis 7:24:—The waters prevailed upon the earth 150 days.

From the 17th day of the second month to the 17th day of the seventh month was exactly five months. These five months took exactly 150 days. Therefore, they were five months of 30 days each. This, the scholars agreed, would make a year of 360 days, or 12 months of 30 days.

Therefore, a day in calculating prophecy was a year of 360 days.

By using this accepted formula of a day for a year, the scholars calculated that the Gentiles would tread the Holy City (Jerusalem) under foot for 1,260 years. Therefore, the prophecy from Revelation could now be read:

“And the Holy City (Jerusalem) shall they tread under foot for 1260 years.”

According to the second promise of Christ, these Gentiles (Romans-Muslims) would tread the city underfoot until the hour of His return which would be 1,260 years by the measurement of prophecy. During all that time, the Jews would be banished from their own land. However, in the hour of Christ’s return, the privilege of going home woul be restored to them, and the ‘times of the Gentiles’ would be ended.

An examination of the calendar of the Muslims, who held the Holy City captive, revealed to these millennial scholars an astonishing thing: The year 1,260 of the calendar of the Muslims coincided with the year 1844 of the calendar of the Christians.

The year 1,260 given in Revelation as the time when the days of the ‘Gentiles’ would be ended and the Jews would be permitted to return to their homeland, was the same year as that of 1844 when the Muslim rulers were forced to sign the Edict of Toleration permitting the return of the Jews to Israel.

I began to understand the growing enthusiasm of the Bible scholars of the 1840s. Christ had promised that when the ‘times of the Gentiles’ was fulfilled, He would come back to earth. To these students of Scripture, the second promise of Christ was exactly fulfilled, and the date (1844) established without question.

I was inclined to agree. This made me more eager than ever to test the third and final promise.

From: http://bahai-library.com/pdf/s/sears_thief_night.pdf

ACEofALLaces

Premium Member
To live together we do need some rules to limit our behavior. But in ancient times I think people had to say these laws came from the Gods and must be followed, or they may all be punished. And this did happen to the Israelites. One of them disobeyed and they all were punished by God. And then when the culprit was found, God smote him good or had the people stone him to death... and sometimes his family too. Now that'll keep people in line. If it were true. But if God doesn't enforce his laws by striking people dead, then is he really real? Or was he just make believe?
Well, if you are making an argument for God simply based upon how many people He has beat up or killed, then I suppose it could definitely be said that there IS a God. Just don't get Him MAD at you :)

ppp

No, it could not apply to any of those other events because Jesus did not return after those events.
No. Everyone who has predicted this before you for a different time has had their own litany of verses to quote. No different than you. As earnest as you. As certain as you.
Every. Single. One.
This ain't my first rodeo. Or even my 20th.

Last edited by a moderator: