• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Badran - Mod, anything you want to know about me?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does your family know about your lack of belief? How did they take it if so?

If you mean relatives then no. I rarely see them, and almost never talk about very personal stuff when i do. I've always kept to myself and avoided family gatherings as much as i could, so i'd actually have to go out of my way to let them know.

If you mean my close family then like i said in a previous post they do. They were shocked and it took them some time but for the most part they're handling it alright.

MD

qualiaphile
Do you think atheism/agnosticism is a growing trend in Egypt and the Islamic world? I've met some muslims here in North America who are culturally muslim but are atheist/agnostic. I think a large dose of secualrism is needed and would be good for all religions in the Middle East.

Last edited:

Freedomelf

I'm coming on to this thread very late, but I have read it all and just want to say that you sound very interesting and thoughtful. I wish you much success, and I wish for a free democracy for your country. Egypt is such a beautiful place; I've always wanted to go there but when I had the money, I didn't have the time; when I had the time, I didn't have the money, lol. My best friend went there years ago; your people are so very warm and friendly, she said. Best of luck to you.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
The staff here decided to let me be part of their team, so let me start by saying that i'm happy to be a part of this, and hope to do whats expected of me.

I'm making this thread as you all know in order to share anything you might like to know about me.

My user name is my actual last name, my first name is Muhammad. I'm 22 and i'm studying right now.

I live and was born in Egypt, and spent all my life here in cairo.

One day i just thought i might like joining a religious forum, to learn a few things about other views in general and hopefully share in some beneficial debates & discussions. So i googled and opened this site and joined, and it turned out a much bigger and beneficial experience than i had in mind. So far i've learned a lot since i joined, and have found something i didn't get much of in real life, which is a wide variety of perspectives.

Other than here i don't really use any sort of forum or social network. I'm interested here because of the learning factor, which is for the major part due to the level of people who usually participate here.

Anyway so i think this should be enough basic information to start with, and of course, please ask anything you want to know.

(Assuming of course, that you would care or bother to know anything about me :D)

What do you know or presume to understand of the faithless, or atheists?

What is your experience in interacting with unbelievers, and those that might challenge those of faith and their claims?

(btw, congratulations on earning the trust of REF mods here. They are a tough crowd:))

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you think atheism/agnosticism is a growing trend in Egypt and the Islamic world? I've met some muslims here in North America who are culturally muslim but are atheist/agnostic. I think a large dose of secualrism is needed and would be good for all religions in the Middle East.

I don't know. I see a bit more of it at this time, but it could be that people are just more outspoken about it today, or that i'm simply paying more attention to it now.

I do think that in my country today the state of things holds potential for a faster pace of change in any direction, due to the immense political changes that are going on. With some directions having more potential than others.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm coming on to this thread very late, but I have read it all and just want to say that you sound very interesting and thoughtful. I wish you much success, and I wish for a free democracy for your country. Egypt is such a beautiful place; I've always wanted to go there but when I had the money, I didn't have the time; when I had the time, I didn't have the money, lol. My best friend went there years ago; your people are so very warm and friendly, she said. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your heartfelt post. I appreciate your sentiments very much. :)

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you know or presume to understand of the faithless, or atheists?

What is your experience in interacting with unbelievers, and those that might challenge those of faith and their claims?

My experience with atheists, agnostics or non-religious people has been mostly one of confirmation. I've never struggled to understand how can someone have that world view, even at points when my faith was at it's strongest. So for example, when i joined here and debated issues about god or religion, i was just realizing that my thoughts had a good amount of accuracy. The only enlightening thing was actually getting personal with people who hold on to these world views. As in my offline life, this is almost entirely impossible to do right now.

I had also guessed that i would be able to relate a lot to their experience due to some things about my personal experience with religion, and i was right in thinking so. More and more i could see more parallels in the thought process and the method in approaching things despite the seemingly fundamental disagreement in regards to our world views (at the time).

I had expected to meet both the more stereotypical idea of an atheist and a non-religious person, as well as some cases that i would personally find impressive. I have found that to be true, and the personal experiences i had with those i found impressive for whatever reason were very rewarding. Generally, this has been my experience here with all world views, religious and non-religious alike. I had never struggled to see how can someone be this or that (in regards to differing world views), just lacked the experience of actually interacting with them.

(btw, congratulations on earning the trust of REF mods here. They are a tough crowd:))

Thanks. :)

BrokenHearted2

вяσкєη вυт вєιηg яєѕтσяє∂
In light of recent events I hope you are doing well. I wish you success with your studies at Arab Open University. It was interesting reading this thread and seeing your humor as you interacted with everyone. I look forward to seeing more of your posts here on the forum. God bless your efforts to quit smoking, I know how tough that is. Someday I hope to come see your beautiful country.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In light of recent events I hope you are doing well. I wish you success with your studies at Arab Open University. It was interesting reading this thread and seeing your humor as you interacted with everyone. I look forward to seeing more of your posts here on the forum. God bless your efforts to quit smoking, I know how tough that is. Someday I hope to come see your beautiful country.

Thanks a lot for your kind sentiments. :)

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How are you doing Badran? It's been a while, I hope everything is well with you and your family

I've been good, thanks for asking and for the kind wishes. :)

I hope everything is alright with you too. It's been a while indeed, i hope you can be a little more active on the forum these days.

Bismillah

Submit
I'm glad you are well! I have been following the developments in Egypt somewhat closely and my Egyptian friends have expressed their concern over what has been happening. I would always think back to you guys in Egypt, you have all been in my du'as and I am really glad to find you well.

How are you keeping? School? Work? Marital status :)

I am doing ok, I am taking a break from school work and taking classes in becoming a paramedic and the course length is condensed from two years into a couple months. I think this is the most stressed I have ever been :/ Because of my courses I really felt that my ibadaa and ramadan were lacking this year so I came back and hopefully will try to read some more qur'an and seerah and share on the Islam DIR for mine and anyone else's benefit as well inshallah.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm glad you are well! I have been following the developments in Egypt somewhat closely and my Egyptian friends have expressed their concern over what has been happening. I would always think back to you guys in Egypt, you have all been in my du'as and I am really glad to find you well.

Thanks man. :)

How are you keeping? School? Work? Marital status :)

Nothing much has changed. I'm single, still studying, and am trying to find some work alongside that.

I am doing ok, I am taking a break from school work and taking classes in becoming a paramedic and the course length is condensed from two years into a couple months. I think this is the most stressed I have ever been :/ Because of my courses I really felt that my ibadaa and ramadan were lacking this year so I came back and hopefully will try to read some more qur'an and seerah and share on the Islam DIR for mine and anyone else's benefit as well inshallah.

That sounds intense. It's pretty cool though that you decided to take those classes. Best of luck with them and with your ibadaa during Ramadan.

Bismillah

Submit
Badran said:
Nothing much has changed. I'm single, still studying, and am trying to find some work alongside that.
You were studying Electrical Engineering right? How tough is it to find work in Egypt right now? I heard that the job market is nonexistent even for people with post-graduate degrees. Do you plan on staying in Egypt after your studies are finished?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You were studying Electrical Engineering right? How tough is it to find work in Egypt right now? I heard that the job market is nonexistent even for people with post-graduate degrees. Do you plan on staying in Egypt after your studies are finished?

I'm studying Information Technology. I was specifically studying Engineering before for a short while, but then changed to IT.

The job market in my experience is pretty much like you described. Job opportunities are rather little, and being a student makes it even harder (as most of the companies i was looking in don't take students).

I plan on traveling if i get the chance. I need to organize certain things, but as far as what i would want to do, i definitely want to go somewhere else.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste Badran-ji,

Everytime I read your name, I can't help but think of people from Jordan or of Jordanian descent.

One of my neighbor's last name is "Badran" who is Jordanian.

Sorry for the randomness. Don't mind me, sir. Have a good day!

M.V.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3416300 said:
Namaste Badran-ji,

Everytime I read your name, I can't help but think of people from Jordan or of Jordanian descent.

One of my neighbor's last name is "Badran" who is Jordanian.

Sorry for the randomness. Don't mind me, sir. Have a good day!

M.V.

That's okay. :D

And to go with the randomness, for some reason, this feels a bit weird. A Jordanian guy having my name i mean, even though it's totally normal. It's an Arabic name. Certainly some Arabs have it. There's no logical reason at all to feel weird about it. It makes perfect sense.

Yet, i do feel a bit weird. :D

Hello Badran! Salamatudduniya Alaika Walkhairu Anhu Ya Ikhi An Ilmisr! I wish to visit Misr before I part this world if my fate permits.

Very good to know you brother!

Shukran! Ya Ikhi! Wassalama Alaika!

I am not very good in Arabic though I can read and write Arabic calligraphy in the Naskh script. My greeting to you meant ' Peace on you mu brother and safety of this world whatever it can give you! Of course the granting of your safety and well being is hands of your Creator! But I had picked up this phrase from Iraqi Bedouin visiting me at Basra when I was there on an assignment years ago. I learned Arabic (written spoken and read) in Iraq but am yet a student (taalib) and not a master (aalim).

Stay well and keep in touch!