• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Backbiting and religious hypocrisy

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I would caution against your judging of tens of millions based upon your personal experiences. That sort of puts you into the same boat as your co worker.

One cannot judge the teachings of Christ by those who say they follow them. You will find shortcomings every time.

Christianity is about an individuals relationship to God. It is not about what we perceive as another's relationship to God.

I know from bitter experience how hard and narrow the path is, I daily say and do things I regret, knowing they are not how I am supposed to be. I can only continue to try and overcome.

If my salvation were based upon my behavior, I would throw in the towel.

As to your co worker, based upon your narrative, she seems not to be what she says she is. I use the word seems, because I cannot and will not judge anyone's relationship with God.

Christ addressed the problem you are having. He said there are two paths people can take in following Him. One is narrow and rocky and difficult to stay on. The other is wide and oh so very easy to walk, you can talk the talk, but don't have to walk the walk. He says those on the wide easy path will in the end be sorely disappointed.

I’ve had Christians call me the “Son of the Devil” because I didn’t consider Jesus as a deity. I am prepared to believe in Jesus as a historical REAL figure but it’s not enough for Baptist. I’ve been judged all my life and Christians in the states feel that they are commanded biblically to judge others and warn others for not believing as they do.

These are the people are hypocritical because how are you gonna warn me about the commandments of the Bible when you violate them at work everyday? Or when you meet people that don’t believe as you do?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I would define hypocrisy as having pretense - pretending to be something one is not. If someone has a higher standard, fails to live up to it and admits the failure, I would not call it pure hypocrisy.

To me, there's a difference between saying "I don't gossip" and "I know I should not gossip but I sometimes fail to live up to that ideal".

That is what I mean.

Hypocrisy to me, which is what I’m used to from Californian Christians, is that you can speak to me about “Holy Jesus” but go to your desk and talk bad about another co-worker which is what many Christians I’ve physically scene do. Then when you call them out they say “well we all human.”

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
She might be happier and more productive working for someone who belongs to the same church she attends. Shop around and find her another job.

The thing is she is just an example. My point is I’ve never disrespected her. I’m serious about helping mentally distress patients and sometimes work is not an appropriate place to joke. Why would someone call me expletives when they don’t know me? Yet this same person listens to gospel music and talks about Jesus.

Look, I know God will call me to an account of all the things I’ve done in this life. I won’t hide behind being human. What I say I take account for but what I hate is people like some of these Christians not taking accountability for what they do against their own commandments and run behind behind human.

joe1776

I was going to begin to ask the Christian members here why do Christians at least the ones here in the United States want to judge others on their religious faith (or their irreligious beliefs) yet many continuously do the one thing that is against their faith:backbiting. Although I believe I know the answer, the problem always continues to perplex me. I guess this thought stems from a lady I work with who because I'm not the very happy conversationalist and because I am at times stern and very much to the point (you have to be considering that I don't really have much time to gossip at work like others), she gossips about me "looking and acting mean." Of course others who truly know me defend me against her, but the idea of this is funny considering when I need to get patient information from her she is always listening to gospel music and discussing topics about "tha lawd" yet she continues to do the very thing that is against her religious faith which is talking negatively behind someone's back. Now the part I gave you guys when she referred to me as mean was PG-13 version, but I wonder if backbiting is something that is against one's faith why continue to do it yet exclaim a devotion to God while judging others yet continuously break your own religious rules?

When I challenge this to other Christians it seems that being human is the culprit, but I don't understand how something that is easily fixable like not opening your mouth negatively against another person is somehow human nature. I just find it hypocritical.

Thoughts?
I think we should stop blaming religion for human failings and stop crediting religion for human virtues.

We are motivated by unconscious needs. Most of our failings are motivated by the need to prove ourselves superior to others. That need is satisfied by arrogant behavior. "Putting others down," in the way you describe, is an example of arrogant behavior.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Hypocrisy to me, which is what I’m used to from Californian Christians, is that you can speak to me about “Holy Jesus” but go to your desk and talk bad about another co-worker which is what many Christians I’ve physically scene do. Then when you call them out they say “well we all human.”

If the response would have been not "we are all human" but "you're right I should not have done that", it would be another matter.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I think we should stop blaming religion for human failings and stop crediting religion for human virtues.

We are motivated by unconscious needs. Most of our failings are motivated by the need to prove ourselves superior to others. That need is satisfied by arrogant behavior. "Putting others down," in the way you describe, is an example of arrogant behavior.

I disagree. I credit religion for people like @Tumah @Rival @sun rise who directly and indirectly made humanity better whether it’s through education or good works. But you’re right the unconscious works and the need to feel superior are indeed an issue.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
If the response would have been not "we are all human" but "you're right I should not have done that", it would be another matter.

The thing is sun rise your species shouldn’t be mentioned.

When I fail or I do wrong it’s not me being human it’s me committing to something that I know is wrong.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I’ve had Christians call me the “Son of the Devil” because I didn’t consider Jesus as a deity. I am prepared to believe in Jesus as a historical REAL figure but it’s not enough for Baptist. I’ve been judged all my life and Christians in the states feel that they are commanded biblically to judge others and warn others for not believing as they do.

These are the people are hypocritical because how are you gonna warn me about the commandments of the Bible when you violate them at work everyday? Or when you meet people that don’t believe as you do?

I would not expect coherent behavior from people basing their lives on an irrational belief.

Ciao

- viole

PureX

Veteran Member
I was going to begin to ask the Christian members here why do Christians at least the ones here in the United States want to judge others on their religious faith (or their irreligious beliefs) yet many continuously do the one thing that is against their faith:backbiting. Although I believe I know the answer, the problem always continues to perplex me. I guess this thought stems from a lady I work with who because I'm not the very happy conversationalist and because I am at times stern and very much to the point (you have to be considering that I don't really have much time to gossip at work like others), she gossips about me "looking and acting mean." Of course others who truly know me defend me against her, but the idea of this is funny considering when I need to get patient information from her she is always listening to gospel music and discussing topics about "tha lawd" yet she continues to do the very thing that is against her religious faith which is talking negatively behind someone's back. Now the part I gave you guys when she referred to me as mean was PG-13 version, but I wonder if backbiting is something that is against one's faith why continue to do it yet exclaim a devotion to God while judging others yet continuously break your own religious rules?

When I challenge this to other Christians it seems that being human is the culprit, but I don't understand how something that is easily fixable like not opening your mouth negatively against another person is somehow human nature. I just find it hypocritical.

Thoughts?
I think it's very easy for people to see the faults in others, and very hard to see them in themselves. I had a friend some years ago that had a problem with lying. He would lie even when there was no reason to: no advantage to it in any way. Finally, he told a councilor of his about it and asked him what he could do to stop this habit. And the councilor told him that the next time he caught himself lying to someone, he had to stop, immediately, and tell the other person that he was lying, and then tell them the truth. And as you can imagine this was very humiliating, and so very difficult to do. But he did it, over and over, each time he caught himself lying, and eventually it worked. He eventually learned to just tell the truth, first, so he wouldn;t have to humiliate himself by admitting to lying and then correcting his story.

shmogie

I agree with you. You have the right to believe what you believe without condemnation.

Now, by me saying that there is a better way than what you believe, I am not judging or condemning you, I am giving you an informed opinion because I think your life would be better for you.

You tell me you aren't interested, and that's it, no harm, no foul.

I remind you of the broad easy path and all those walking it.

Those that are hypocrites and judge, will be judged.

I am sorry that you have experienced this, and I am sorry you have interacted with so many superficial Christians.

shmogie

I think it's very easy for people to see the faults in others, and very hard to see them in themselves. I had a friend some years ago that had a problem with lying. He would lie even when there was no reason to: no advantage to it in any way. Finally, he told a councilor of his about it and asked him what he could do to stop this habit. And the councilor told him that the next time he caught himself lying to someone, he had to stop, immediately, and tell the other person that he was lying, and then tell them the truth. And as you can imagine this was very humiliating, and so very difficult to do. But he did it, over and over, each time he caught himself lying, and eventually it worked. He eventually learned to just tell the truth, first, so he wouldn;t have to humiliate himself by admitting to lying and then correcting his story.
Your friend sounds like a very honest person, to follow through on that advice, kudos to him.

sooda

Veteran Member
The thing is she is just an example. My point is I’ve never disrespected her. I’m serious about helping mentally distress patients and sometimes work is not an appropriate place to joke. Why would someone call me expletives when they don’t know me? Yet this same person listens to gospel music and talks about Jesus.

Look, I know God will call me to an account of all the things I’ve done in this life. I won’t hide behind being human. What I say I take account for but what I hate is people like some of these Christians not taking accountability for what they do against their own commandments and run behind behind human.

As a practical matter I would find her another job where she'd be happier and less critical.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I agree with you. You have the right to believe what you believe without condemnation.

Now, by me saying that there is a better way than what you believe, I am not judging or condemning you, I am giving you an informed opinion because I think your life would be better for you.

You tell me you aren't interested, and that's it, no harm, no foul.

I remind you of the broad easy path and all those walking it.

Those that are hypocrites and judge, will be judged.

I am sorry that you have experienced this, and I am sorry you have interacted with so many superficial Christians.

Look, Christianity has been a part of my life and it’s not a faith I can deny. If Christianity is true and if Jesus gave me a platform I would tell him “hey buddy you ought to know my issue” lol but I understand the Christian need to save souls but there is discretion

shmogie

Excusing sin, instead of simply saying, yeah you are right, or offering apologies, is a license to keep sinning.

Too bad.

shmogie

Look, Christianity has been a part of my life and it’s not a faith I can deny. If Christianity is true and if Jesus gave me a platform I would tell him “hey buddy you ought to know my issue” lol but I understand the Christian need to save souls but there is discretion
You do have a platform ! Tell him !

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Lol

I know as a man of science you’d see me as delusional. I just think the irrationality is just behind the hypocrisy

That has nothing to do with science. Every atheist must, logically, see believers as delusional, and probably that is reciprocated. But all believers will also, necessarily, see as delusional any believer in the competition.

However, that does not entail that there are not coherent believers. It just entails that I would not expect them to be. So, I will never be disappointed, only surprised.

Hoping, of course, than in an attempt to be coherent they do not start to stone rebellious children, people working on Saturdays, or re-establish slavery. That would be suboptimal.

By the way, I am a girl.

Ciao

- viole

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Thoughts?

She has very little conscious control over her unconscious feelings.

The unconscious mind is not very rational. The negative feelings her unconscious mind has towards you is not rational. So she feels this negativity as does not consciously examine it, just acts on it.

Her unconscious mind also likes gospel music and discussing her religious beliefs. Consciously she just goes along with it.

I've tried making people conscious of their actions. Usually doesn't work. For many folks it seems, that whatever their unconscious mind dictates, that is who they are. Conscious awareness has to be developed. Some folks are a simply long way away from that kind of self awareness.

IMO, fundamental Christianity does not seem to help develop this kind of consciousness.