• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ayn Rand

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Does anyone read her books?
What does everyone think of her theories on Objectivism?
Which books have you read?

My Dad thinks she's the greatest philosopher ever... He keeps giving me her books

I've started reading her Novel "Philosophy, Who Needs It" and i'm REALLY enjoying it. I have about 3 more of her books, and I hope that reading these books will give me a better outlook, more objective (haha), than the one i have now...

What did you get out of Ayn Rand?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I have read some of her work. My biggest problem with objectivism is that there is very little room in this philosophy for people to change/grow. I realize that this isn't common, but it DOES happen. Ms. Rand pretty much discounts the possibility completely. In otherwords, if you are a screwup, that's all you will ever be, so get used to it. I do not subscribe to this.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
I've read Atlas Shrugged, most of it anyhow. It was ok but I found her characters were bizarre and, no polite way of saying this, her worldview was narrow, bleak and overbearing.

However, what immediately stood out to me in your post was the 'greatest philosopher ever' part. She was a clever, provocative and persuasive writer & thinker, but a great philosopher? Not really, not at all.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's dog-eat-dog, triumph of the competent go-getter.

the less motivated, less competative, smell-the-roses types get left behind, if not trampled underfoot, (or maybe run over by one of Dagny's locomotives...)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
gnosis_777 said:
really, no positive outlooks on Ms. Rand?
I didn't say I dislike reading her works; both the books and the movies are entertaining. My point is that I don't believe that her worldview has a one-to-one correspondence with mine.

robtex

Veteran Member
I have read some of her books and find merit in much of it and I am confused by other parts. It is a great debate topic though cause she wrote quite a bit and than others after her wrote even more.

She was an atheist who was raised in a Jewish household in Russia before immigrating to america. She can be really abstract at times making it hard to put her words into a real world context. I liked her ideas of finding your own happiness in life, and of being held accountable for your actions while holding others accountable. I wish I could remember where I read the accountable part but she compared the Christian notion of not judging others akin to giving your neigbors a blank check in return for you getting one from them.

It is much more self-centered than other secular philosophies but I think if we are honest with ourselves and look at how each of us lives in any particular day, more of our day is likely going to be comprised of self-satisfaction than other-satisfaction.

The largest problem I have with it is not the ego part (which is objectivism gets dinged for frequently) but the abstractiveness of it. Sometimes it doesn't feel nearly as practical as some of the other secular philosophers out there. I see alot of qoutes pulled out and expounded upon but I think for the most part she is more of a context writer, meaning the qoutes hold a different meaning in the context of the book she was writing or the subject much of the time making her less of a "qoutable philosopher."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have a friend who was raised in a fundamentalist family where females were expected to grow up to be good housewives and mothers, but nothing else. She read Rand and found many aspects of Rand's thought "liberating". I myself have never experienced quite the same feeling of liberation from reading Rand.

anders

Books: I've read Atlas shrugged, The Fountainhead, and one more. I liked them.

Philosophy: I'm divided. Sometimes, it's more Also sprach Zarathustra than Nietzsche himself, sometimes it's more of don't succumb to stupid majority.

I don't want to make a black or white statement, but the books sure make me think and give me new facets to incorporate in or reject for my personal views on living.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged and Anthem.

Brilliant works, but, Anthem excepted,chilling in application.

Faint

Action and effort sustains life; if you're going to live--live as a man and not a wimp; no one has the right to demand you to help them or to expect a free handout........these are good lessons. But I don't remember reading much else by Rand that was worthwhile.

linwood

I haven`t read anything of hers because the critiques I`ve heard are so mixed weighing towards the negative.
I`ve always found something else to pick up.

I had Atlas Shrugged in my hand a few weeks ago and decided on Russels Problems with Philosophy instead.
I usually like Russel but I`m starting to wish I had bought the Rand book instead.

Is it worth a read at least?

I`ve got a list a mile long and about 5-6 books I`ve bought but haven`t read yet sitting on the shelf so I`ve got to limit my commitment to reading before it kills me.

:)

linwood

Seyorni said:
I'm no objectivist, but Atlas is really worth the (rather long!) read, linwood.
Niether am I Seyorni thats why Rand has been near the bottom of my list.

I can put her up a couple notches since you and others here seem to think it`s a worthwhile read.

Thank you.

:)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't see Ayn Rand as an especially great or profound philosopher. In my book, she's more of a social commentator who popularized certain notions that might not otherwise have gotten as wide of an audience as they did. But I don't think she fits very well into the mold of a serious philosopher. I think of her as making more of a contribution to popular culture, than to philosophy.