• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ayn Rand

standing_alone

Anything that promotes self-interest above all else is wrong imo. Her "philosophy" is just a rationalization for egotism. For certain people who have trouble maintaining their self-identity, there may be some use for that, but in general we have way too much of it already.

I agree! Frubals...

standing_alone

If you dont like Ayn Rand, you probably dont like Karl Marx, Thomas More, or Plato.....*shrugs*

Actually that's not true. Since Ayn Rand and Karl Marx have different philosophies regarding what is "utopia" (a word that actually means "nowhere" used by Thomas More in his work of the same name, where I believe people first developed connotations of being synonymous paradise), one can like one and dislike the other.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
standing_alone said:
Actually that's not true. Since Ayn Rand and Karl Marx have different philosophies regarding what is "utopia" (a word that actually means "nowhere" used by Thomas More in his work of the same name, where I believe people first developed connotations of being synonymous paradise), one can like one and dislike the other.
omg, you made a serious post? :kissbette I'm so proud my little baby's growing up!!!

cmnaga

lilithu said:
:clap

Anything that promotes self-interest above all else is wrong imo. Her "philosophy" is just a rationalization for egotism. For certain people who have trouble maintaining their self-identity, there may be some use for that, but in general we have way too much of it already.

Words are just symbols that human beings have used to describe states of consciousness. What one person calls moral intregrity another calls egoism.

The gist of Ayn Rand's philosophy is not "egoism" as you are intrepreting it, the demonized "jerk" connotation you are ascribing to the word "egoism".

It's about having integrity to an Objective morality, that is to say, mores that are valued by observing their manifestations in the real world as opposed to unsubstantiated, thoughtless, feel-good drivel.

I find that you people who will say "I don't like Ayn Rand" without telling why, or worse, saying that "I've never read her but I don't like her" are like irrational, silly, childish, cretinous, and a whole bunch of other things that aren't appropriate to be said on these forums.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
cmnaga said:
I find that you people who will say "I don't like Ayn Rand" without telling why <...> are like irrational, silly, childish, cretinous, and a whole bunch of other things that aren't appropriate to be said on these forums.
I did tell why I don't like her. If my reason why annoys you so much that you resort to calling me "irrational, silly, childish, cretinous, and a whole bunch of other things that aren't appropriate to be said on these forums," that really is your problem. Apparently neither Rand's philosophy nor your version of Buddhism helps you deal with your anger issues.

cmnaga

lilithu said:
I did tell why I don't like her. If my reason why annoys you so much that you resort to calling me "irrational, silly, childish, cretinous, and a whole bunch of other things that aren't appropriate to be said on these forums," that really is your problem. Apparently neither Rand's philosophy nor your version of Buddhism helps you deal with your anger issues.

My annoyance was directed towards the people who dismiss her philosophy without ever having read her.

The beginning part of my post was addressed to your reason, which you may or may not agree with.

I'm sorry if I was bitter. :)