• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Automated Classes????

Dezzie

Say Whaaaaat? :confused:

My Husband told me yesterday that Florida was trying out (or going to try out) AUTOMATED classrooms in their high schools (no physical teachers being present). What do you guys think about this brewing technology? I for one, HATE the idea.......

emptybe

Om Mani Padme Hum

My Husband told me yesterday that Florida was trying out (or going to try out) AUTOMATED classrooms in their high schools (no physical teachers being present). What do you guys think about this brewing technology? I for one, HATE the idea.......

Eventually classes will all be online so we can have as little human contact as possible!:yes:

A

angellous_evangellous

Sounds like Flordia doesn't care about education.

Dezzie

Sounds like Flordia doesn't care about education.

What really worrys me are the whole World attempting this. I think its just pure stupidness. :p

Sorry about the spelling and Grammar errors... those automated classes are already getting to me! I... must... snap out of... it... :areyoucra

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish

I dislike the idea, not just because a robot can't replace a person, but because American school is enough like programming already without robot teachers. Enough Americans already have zero critical thinking skills when it comes to their authorities.

esmith

Veteran Member
Back in the early 70's I instructed electronics in the Navy. During this time the Navy was shifting to "self-paced" basic electricity and electronics training, where there was minimal contact with an instructor. After completion of the basic electricity & electronic course of instruction they were then sent to their specialty school where they received advanced instruction in electronics (I was an instructor at this school). At the same time, some students, received the basic electricity and electronic instruction at the specialty school (until the program kicked into full gear). We found that we had to devote additional time to bring the "self-paced" students up to the knowledge level of the students that had instructor/classroom environment.

You can draw your own conclusions from this. However, I will always beleive that a "live" person can impart more knowledge and understanding of course material than a "non-human" or minimal human interaction.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Oh, the horror. One teacher being able to reach 20,000 kids in a city district at once with a single lesson. How can this possibly benefit the education system?

It's not talking about robot teachers. :facepalm:
But that's funny. :D

The Neo Nerd

Can a robot tell when a student isn't paying attention?

Can a robot give extra attention to the kid falling behind?

Can a student look down the top of a robot? Because i always paid more attention to the attractive teachers.

This is a stupid, horrible idea. Part of the teaching process is to engage the students, a student can't do that.

This will crank a bunch of under educated students with no idea how to interact with authority figures.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think there is a place for automated classes in light of the criticism against it.
In cases of which the subject matter is primarily based on memorization and is static, this medium would would be useful for introductory and basic hands down instruction by way of text and video formats. This would also be useful by way of redundancy in which the student can review such lessons as many times as necessary in order to comprehend what is being taught. As far as social and interactive issues go, life itself is sufficient for social interaction than just pooling immature juvenile students into potentially hostile class environments IMO. I was never much for the pecking order personally, and any bullying associated with it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Some subjects are best taught with well-designed software than with live teachers. Particularly when those teachers are underpaid and underprestiged.

Gloone

I dislike the idea, not just because a robot can't replace a person, but because American school is enough like programming already without robot teachers. Enough Americans already have zero critical thinking skills when it comes to their authorities.
I agree. Makes me wonder if any kids actually enjoy going to school. I know I never did. Eight hour days for a kid is like a full-time job without the pay or benefits. I remember shooting spit-balls at a lot of my teachers. Especially during times when people were suppose to be working. The teacher would doze off and I would start launching them at their heads. LOL...... reminds me of a book I seen at the book-store recently.

Check out this book. I bet it would make a great gift for a kid. Amazon.com: Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction: Build Implements of Spitball Warfare (9781556529535): John Austin: Books

freethinker44

Automated doesn't necessarily mean self-pace.

I embrace technology. I can't see why a computer program can't do anything that a human can do. Computers are only held back the current technological advances, and that is a human limitation not a software or hardware issue. A computer will do exactly what we tell it to, as long as we are capable, and have the knowledge to tell it exactly what we want.

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
Automated doesn't necessarily mean self-pace.

I embrace technology. I can't see why a computer program can't do anything that a human can do. Computers are only held back the current technological advances, and that is a human limitation not a software or hardware issue. A computer will do exactly what we tell it to, as long as we are capable, and have the knowledge to tell it exactly what we want.

A computer can only explain something the way it has been programmed to answer. Whereas a physical teacher/instructor is capable of determining a different path to reach a person who is having problems comprehending an idea. Every student has a slightly different thought process and what that thought process is has to determined. That is if the teacher/instructor has the initiative to go beyond what is minimally necessary. Of which it seems that we are having problems finding those that really want to instruct vice putting in the time for the cash.

freethinker44

A computer can only explain something the way it has been programmed to answer. Whereas a physical teacher/instructor is capable of determining a different path to reach a person who is having problems comprehending an idea.

Why can't a computer be programmed to do this? And even if it can't, all that is needed is a human administrator to monitor the data and direct the computer to the desired outcome. A handfull of teachers/administrators could replace the faculty of an entire school. I don't want to project my own personal experiences as evidence but the majority of teachers I went to school with were as incapable as a computer or just unwilling/uncaring enough to reach out to students having trouble.

Of which it seems that we are having problems finding those that really want to instruct vice putting in the time for the cash.

A computer will give everything it has to give all the time, and we only need to pay the electricity bill.