• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists???

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I suggest that the harsh responses are the ones noticed & remembered. But the most vicious criticism I
ever see is between believers of similar religions. On another forum I visit, it's the Catholics vs the JWs.
The red red krovy sure flows there. We all should develop a thick skin, for no one is immune to abuse.
Wow! That sounds like fun! Which forum?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I certainly agree with both things said by revolt and cal. I certainly agree that I am biased and notice what offends me most, and inter-religious folks do the same.So my criticism is across the board. I can get over it and continue to post. I must be able to or I wouldn't be here.
Heck, I have to do it just to get through the day in my own home with arguments and I make the same criticisms of the people I know and love the most.
That is how I see it. and I love that post. trust me if you think me and members here debate harshly in this forum, you should see how members of my family debate politics, or how me and my friends treat each other when we consider the other one doing something unconstructive or stupid. we will never abandon each other. instead we will beat each other on the head, until we ooze out all the BS.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Just a question for y'all: Why would there be so many athiests subscribing to a religious forum?
Isn't it a bit like vegetarians queuing up in front of a butchers shop?:shrug:

While this is titled a religious forum there is much more going on than just religion. Atheist as well as theist can be found in various threads discussing a myriad of topics and none of them would have anything to do with religion....

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Just a question for y'all: Why would there be so many athiests subscribing to a religious forum?

Leaving aside for a moment that this is a Religious Education Forum, as opposed to a Religious Forum proper...

I just don't see why. Belief in God is one thing, religious adherence is another, in fact quite independent from belief.

Sure, many people disagree, but in all fairness I must say that they are wrong. Even the Abrahamic religions, that make a point of claiming that they only make sense when supported by belief in God, actually don't.

And in fact, belief in God is a tricky concept. It is so difficult to define or to maintain that even those religions spend considerable effort in encouraging it. To my eyes that is a sure-fire sign that the actual foundation of those faiths is in fact something else as opposed to belief in God.

In fact, I have a personal interest in the very concept of God. I try to learn about various conceptions of same, because they are in fact very varied indeed. God is perhaps the most vague concept I have ever met, and yet people talk of it as if it were well-defined, when it is anything but. That in and of itself hints strongly of what religion is really all about.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
That has been asked here several times. Even with the answers provided I am still confused. So often I feel apprehensive about posting because I know the harsh responses to expect from atheists. On a RELIGIOUS EDUCATION forum I always anticipate hearing how ridiculous it is to be religious.

That's why they make a special little section for your particular faith. If you post in the Islam DIR and a christian or Atheist post and they should not have then you have the right to voice your concerns or take it up one of the staff members.

Is that they type of education we are supposed to get?
I would really like to know the history and development of this website. Who founded it and why and what was the mission and was it always intended as a debate floor of believers and non believers ? I have kinda resigned to it. I enjoy reading and posting here and am amazed by the knowledge shared by all. I just don't quite get the harshness from some atheists when they proclaim the non-existence of God.

YES. It was intended to be an "education" as well as a debate forum for theist and non-theist alike. This is self evident by the various topics we have here......

Games, jokes, entertainment
Politics
Science vs. Religion
General Discussion

etc...etc....

Last edited:

Tristesse

I like to think it's more comprable to a vegitarian protesting outside of a slaughter factory. I'm an atheist, and I find religion interesting. Seeing as how I used to be religious myself.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The best atheists hang out here. What I don't get is why so many religious people want to constantly subject themselves to the scrutiny and criticism of some of the sharpest atheists around. Gluttons for punishment I suppose.

freethinker44

In my opinion, being challenged is the best way to grow intellectually. Since I have been here some of my beliefs have been strengthened and some cast aside. It is kind of like a peer review process. People help point out weaknesses in some beliefs and strengths in others.

That has been asked here several times. Even with the answers provided I am still confused. So often I feel apprehensive about posting because I know the harsh responses to expect from atheists...

There are DIR sections that you can post in. Moderators do a pretty decent job of policing those areas so you won't get nearly as much criticism there. If it says "general" than it is pretty much a shark tank so expect to get bitten. I do.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The best atheists hang out here. What I don't get is why so many religious people want to constantly subject themselves to the scrutiny and criticism of some of the sharpest atheists around. Gluttons for punishment I suppose.

Some theist seem to think that just because it's called (Religious Forums) that they have exclusive rights.

outhouse

Atheistically
there two sides to ever coin and a this line in the middle called reality and truth, without apposing views the middle might not be found.

I come here for the education, I have learned much about history and contruction of the bible and my spelling is getting better daily :)

religion has everybody involved, from devote hard liners to people who only believe a little all the way to those that believe in none.

We are all the same, your as much a skeptic as I am

the only difference between me and you is I believe in one less god then you do

cottage

I’m not at all puzzled why atheists are here – or religionists - the philosophy of religion is a fascinating subject (and not to be confused with theology). But I’m slightly surprised how the same people, pro or con, seem to be here all the time. I contribute in the winter months or early spring, generally, because I’ve got bugger all that I can get on with at this time of the year. This site is quite good, but my preference during the debating season is religious websites and I have very enjoyable discussions with the sites’ owners that inevitably become protracted email exchanges, which can continue for months. Enjoyable as it is, I’m constantly aware of becoming an anorak (Brit-speak for nerd or geek). That's the danger. :eek:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Why does anyone who is not a politician ever study political science? Why does anyone who is not fruit fly ever study fruit flies? Why does anyone who is not their neighbor ever get curious about their neighbor? Goodness, you make human curiosity sound like the rarest thing on earth!

waitasec

Veteran Member

i think this will explain it for me...

You and I are hurt when these people use their irrational beliefs to obstruct promising scientific research (e.g. stem cell research); or when they challenge establish facts and theories (e.g. evolution); or when they condemn initiatives that will alleviate human suffering (e.g. providing contraception to 3rd world countries); or when they deny basic human rights (women’s rights, gay rights); and so forth.

a religious forum makes way to challenge these beliefs...
:D

Vansdad

I think in the hopes of finding God. I mean what better place to come but a religious/spiritual forum. If He's gonna be anywhere it's here they must figure.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses

I was interested in discussing and debating religion with people who held various beliefs. I wanted to challenge myself and give myself the opportunity to be exposed to a wide array of views from people over the world. Why this forum in particular? Well i jazzed 'Religious forums' into Google and went from there :p

Subsequently I’ve discovered that this site has a richness and diversity of subjects that far outdoes its title, and is a reason why i continue to loiter in these parts!

Alex