• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: Supposing God Appeared Before You...

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
...What sort of characteristics would God have to have for you not even to believe in him, but say "I may have just met God"? I mean, I have heard a few atheists say "we would believe in God if there was enough evidence" or "I'll believe in God if I ever see him." So what does that entail?

1. Personality characteristics (Is God like a mirror of you? Is God insane like Coyote? Is God like a lover? Or an antagonist?)
2. Physical characteristics (Can God look human, or is it required that he have three heads and six wings? For that matter, would your feminist sensibilities only be satisfied if God appeared as a woman? Would you have to see an old man like in paintings?)
3. How God came to you (Is coming in a dream enough? Would you need a near-death experience? Would God need be floating in the sky? Or could God walk down the street and say or do something that would be enough?)

Or would you not believe no matter what?

I guess the point is to figure out if there is a consensus image of what atheists would visually accept.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think the honest answer to 1 & 2 would be, I don't know and I have no preconceived ideas of a god. Probably because I have no expectation of there being one.
Q3. I definitely wouldn't accept anything I dreamed; grief if I did that I'm a millionaire married to Alice Roberts.

To believe this 'thing' I meet is a god, they'd have to do something quite impressive ... cure famine in Africa would be good; prevent childhood cancer ... you get the idea.

btw Even if this being convinces me that it is a god; the next step of worshiping it is a step too far.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think the honest answer to 1 & 2 would be, I don't know and I have no preconceived ideas of a god. Probably because I have no expectation of there being one.
Q3. I definitely wouldn't accept anything I dreamed; grief if I did that I'm a millionaire married to Alice Roberts.

To believe this 'thing' I meet is a god, they'd have to do something quite impressive ... cure famine in Africa would be good; prevent childhood cancer ... you get the idea.

btw Even if this being convinces me that it is a god; the next step of worshiping it is a step too far.

Alice Roberts b' gad ;-)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
...What sort of characteristics would God have to have for you not even to believe in him, but say "I may have just met God"? I mean, I have heard a few atheists say "we would believe in God if there was enough evidence" or "I'll believe in God if I ever see him." So what does that entail?

1. Personality characteristics (Is God like a mirror of you? Is God insane like Coyote? Is God like a lover? Or an antagonist?)
2. Physical characteristics (Can God look human, or is it required that he have three heads and six wings? For that matter, would your feminist sensibilities only be satisfied if God appeared as a woman? Would you have to see an old man like in paintings?)
3. How God came to you (Is coming in a dream enough? Would you need a near-death experience? Would God need be floating in the sky? Or could God walk down the street and say or do something that would be enough?)

I guess the point is to figure out if there is a consensus image of what atheists would visually accept.

I don't have a concept of the abrahamic god to ask for evidence. Some say god is love so I guess to experience profound love related to religion may help.

If god were human, of say that cancels the nature of god. If he's perfect he can't be called human given his nature.

God would have to Be a profound Experience. I'm not sure what a deity is outside of mythology and stories.

ecco

Veteran Member
I suppose if I saw Aphrodite pop out of a seashell...

14901355866_235c2253a4_z.jpg

...I'd have to seriously reconsider my atheism.

If she then took me atop Mt. Olympus and introduced me to Dionysos, I'd be hooked.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I suppose if I saw Aphrodite pop out of a seashell...

14901355866_235c2253a4_z.jpg

...I'd have to seriously reconsider my atheism.

If she then took me atop Mt. Olympus and introduced me to Dionysos, I'd be hooked.

That pic was taken before i had my hair cut

PureX

Veteran Member

Why would you demand that God do something spectacularly "good", for you to consider it God? What if it did something horrendously "bad", like a global flood?

Would you 'worship' God if God did amazing things for you, specifically? Just curious. Just wondering where the line between 'will worship' and 'won't worship', is.

Bob the Unbeliever

Actually? In truth-- I'm not sure what it would take. I've studied "what if" scenarios so much, that even a being slowly descending from the sky, glowing, and capable of seemingly instant apparitions of things?

Could still easily be a charlatan-- not an actual god, but some technical savvy alien with some David Blaine level of parlor tricks.

After all-- if we traveled in Time, back to 1850, with a modern Cell Phone? That's a pretty neat parlor trick, and it'd be easy to convince a buncha people you were a Messenger From God or something similar.

But here's the thing: An Actual, Real, Genuine Article, Ultimate Creator of the Universe?

Would already know exactly what would be needed to be convincing. At the outset.

The fact that an ever-larger growing number of people on Earth, are not convinced, or no longer convinced?

Says a great deal -- if there is an actual god.

If there is? Then it doesn't matter if we believe or not to this god, or else it would've been Godly Convincing-- and there would only be the One Religion.

Or? The god in question is Maliciously Evil, and has Deliberately Withheld Convincing Evidence from a large fraction of the planet-- to what ends, they cannot be GOOD.

Or? God is Ultimately Rational-- Hyper-Rational, in fact, and to pass the Test? One must NOT believe in things for which there is no evidence-- thus-- all the theists will be eliminated after death, only the most Rational, the most Skeptical will be given immortality. To believe is to fail the test of Rationality.

Or? God simply doesn't exist in the first place. Occam's Razor would indicate this the most likely of any.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Why would you demand that God do something spectacularly "good", for you to consider it God? What if it did something horrendously "bad", like a global flood?

Would you 'worship' God if God did amazing things for you, specifically? Just curious. Just wondering where the line between 'will worship' and 'won't worship', is.

The book says he already killed everyone and everything (except a close buddy, immediately family and about 18 million animals) in an impossible global flood... that failed, so is it not time to cure childhood leukemia and relieve poverty?

PureX

Veteran Member
The book says he already killed everyone and everything (except a close buddy, immediately family and about 18 million animals) in an impossible global flood... that failed, so is it not time to cure childhood leukemia and relieve poverty?
I don't see what "the book" has to do with the question being asked, here. If you are not a believer in the "the book", then there is no reason why it should factor into your expectations or criteria for God.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't see what "the book" has to do with the question being asked, here. If you are not a believer in the "the book", then there is no reason why it should factor into your expectations or criteria for God.

The question you asked was

What if it did something horrendously "bad", like a global flood?

Belief or disbileaf does not change the words

Altfish

Veteran Member

Good, point; since the god of the Bible is a homicidal maniac a flood would be impressive or pestilence or whatever.

No, nobody gets 'worshiped' by me. I'd be very grateful and I would try to be worthy of my luck

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Pretty good question.

If it is at all possible for me to reach such a conclusion (big if), I would probably expect a lot of very clear, very consistent displays of moral wisdom and intuitive perception.

I have no idea of why I would consider calling such an entity "God", though. But it might conceivably happen.

(...)

That is indeed by far the most likely scenario. I might well listen to such a powerful presence's words and be impressed for life, but that is a very far cry from believing that there is any reason to call that "God".

Being an ignostic, I would have to immediately try to establish which God that would be. I'm rooting for Shakti, personally.

I would be very surprised.

Laika

Premium Member

I've met people on this forum who have claimed to be Jesus and, as long as they aren't going to hurt themselves or others and respect me enough to keep their distance if that's how I feel, I can live with that. I'd honestly be more sympathetic to someone presenting themselves as a spiritual teacher whose wisdom is independent of belief in a god. "Divine inspiration" in this context is more metaphorical or an expression of something within every human being as a kind of insight or conscience. If someone claimed to be a prophet or else "Jesus Christ" was alive today and presented himself as a spiritual teacher based on his life experience and only that, I would certainly be prepared to sit in and listen or read what they wrote.

Where it gets complicated is when people start saying God is speaking to them. If someone comes up to me and introduces themselves as Jesus Christ and says I can hear God and God speaks to me, then we're in territory that is typically about hearing voices and auditory hallucinations. If I spend long enough with them to know they are docile and non-violent, I might even sit in and listen and see what the voices are saying to them. It's difficult territory, but being "crazy" isn't the same as being "wrong". Sometimes crazy is what happens to people who have had "too much truth" and it's hard to process. As for whether the voices are actually God talking to them, if I became convinced that it was a possibility, I might try an experiment to see if they know something it is well beyond our human understanding to know. There is the scene from "K-Pax" where Kevin Spacey's character claims to be an Alien and his therapist takes him to a planetarium to see whether his claims stack up. In the film they do and if that was real life that would make me take at least consider taking someone seriously.

The question is whether that kind of knowledge it is dum luck or actually something "more". So I'd probably have to repeat it enough times to go, this is a consistent, reliable and repeatable set of results, so it's not mere co-incidence or an accident. If it keeps happening, then I'll probably have no alternative but to consider something of "non-human" origin.

If someone comes up to me and says I'm God, well, this is going to get really interesting. You could take the same approach and try an experiment and see what happens. If I define God in deistic terms as a "creator" of the universe, then that God should have powers beyond those that are capable of the known universe. The laws of physics should not apply to this person or "being", so they should be in a position to break them. At this point, you could still hold out that this person isn't a God. They may have powers and knowledge well beoynd our capacity to replicate, but there is always that possibility they are an impostor, posing as something else.

The most likely possibility is that you're dealing with an "extra-terrestrial" whose powers exist within the universe, but still way beyond our scientific knowledge. Our understanding is really only a few hundred years old, so an alien species and civilisation that is thousands or millions of years older than ours would possess knowledge and capabilities far beyond our own. They would exist within the natural laws that govern the universe, but beyond our understanding of them. We could be dealing with something like "Laplace's Demon"; a being that knows so many of the laws of the universe that they can predict how x,y and z will occur.

After that, I'd guess the next most likely possibility is that our science is flat out wrong and that the known universe and it's laws simply don't exist in the way we believe it to be. If we consider the possibility that our universe is a computer simulation and we're all in "the matrix", the person claiming to be a "God" is actually someone who has "hacked" in to the programming of reality and can perform "magic tricks": walk on water, bend spoons, etc.

In fairness, this is probably the point when I'd start to question my own sanity. Bending spoons? Walking on water? Unicorns on surf boards? Have I gone mad or am I being fed drugs? What's going on here?

But then we get to the crux of the problem. Let's assume you are presented with a person who has knowledge and powers beyond our current understanding. Does it matter what we call them? How much difference does the label actually make? Why would any "god" be so concerned about us when we are so primitive and ignorant? Should we really be impressed with magic tricks and should we build a worldview on what this person can demonstrate or claim to do?

After this point, we are simply dealing with a story teller. It may be a good story or a bad one. It may be the story of how created the universe. It could be true or it may not be. As long as they are benign and have no malicious intent, it isn't really our problem, nor it is going to affect that much of what we already have become. Worst case scenario is that we learn we live in a computer simulation that isn't "real" in the sense we believed it to be, but remains "real" in at least some of the respects we knew before.

If God walks among us and he or she (or it) desires to be worshipped and commands our obedience, the chances are is I'd oppose "it" because it goes against everything we already know about human behaviour when people demand absolute power over others. Such a God does not negate my own capacity for freedom or happiness. It may get harder to argue it is a "natural" right when the author of creation is telling you that "might makes right" and have the power to make their will be done.

The alternative, which I actually prefer, is that "god" smiles, looks us in the eye, winks and laughs. You humans think you're so clever? Out of all of time and space, you think you've got it all figured out haven't you? You still believe in magic tricks and want the world give you what ever you want? Now whose being arrogant thinking they have the power to make the world in their image! :D

At this point, I think any God worthy of the name could make a speedy exit. "His" work is done. The lesson has been taught. Our pan-dimensional hubris has been quashed because all our knowledge and power is an illusion. And so why shouldn't we look upon the knowledge and power of God as an illusion also? Why is God more real than man? Why is god any more central to existence than man is? Aren't we just projecting our own self-importance on to someone or something else? Aren't we repeating exactly the same mistake we made thinking we could use science to know and control everything all over again?

I can live with the idea of such a deity. Not one who wants to rule, who wants power because he can value, possess and control material things like so many conquerors and emperors of old or reduces us to slaves based on a demonstration of his might. That's a very human ambition. We do it because we think we can "cheat" reality and not have to do all the hard work and get some slaves to do it for us and still get the rewards. It's not a particularly religious, spiritual or divine one. In the end, God is not really that much different from us. Would we really notice? Would it really matter that much? There really isn't that much difference between believing in god and not believing god after all.

As far as 99.9% of our existence is concerned it doesn't really matter. The difference between atheism and theism is just a word. The creator of the universe might just "want" credit and to put his signature on creation (being so human again) but everything else is up to us. God doesn't have to be anything more than someone giving us good advice or spiritual advice to get us through the day, or maybe someone who helps alleviate our suffering. That's all we ever needed and wanted in the first place. So would it matter if we knew whether or not it was "him"? The one? The only? The Omega?

Good advice is good advice, where ever it comes from. When it is within our power to make so much difference for ourselves and to the world, what more do you want? Do we really need to know?

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What sort of characteristics would God have to have for you not even to believe in him, but say "I may have just met God"?

Good question, and one I have considered before. If a god is a sentient, volitional and powerful universe creator, then at a minimum, I would probably need to see a universe created, and even that wouldn't convince me that this was a god. Even if an apparition came to us and with a wave of the hand, had the stars arrange themselves to spell out "I am God," I still couldn't rule out a lesser but technologically impressive naturally occurring life form.

I have heard a few atheists say "we would believe in God if there was enough evidence" or "I'll believe in God if I ever see him." So what does that entail?

As I said, I don't think that anything could convince me that it is supernatural, always existed, and came from somewhere outside of our universe.

I don't ask believers to produce evidence for me, because I know they can't. I just tell them that I have no reason to believe anything insufficiently evidenced, even if true. You could give me the winning lottery numbers, and unless you produced evidence that the lottery was fixed and that these numbers would appear tonight, I wouldn't believe you when you claim that the numbers are correct even if that subsequently turned out to be the case.

The point is moot for me. I really don't care if a god or gods exist. If one exists, it's one that either doesn't want to be known, is unable to manifest itself, is indifferent to us, or is unaware of our existence. The deist god comes to mind.

In any case, knowing that such a creature exists would change nothing in my life. Since there would be no duty to this deity, there is no reason to even think about such a thing beyond that.

Gods are for people that want there to be gods. They are for people who will believe something not because the evidence supports that belief, but because they want it to be true. Perhaps they want an afterlife in a paradise, or to believe that they are being watched over or are special in the eyes of a deity, or will meet loved ones once again, or have prayers answered.

People raised outside of religious belief systems learn to cope with the possibility that their consciousness will probably end with death, to accept that we may be all there is for light years, that things don't get better if we don't make them better, that we may be vulnerable and not watched over, accept the likelihood of their insignificance everywhere but earth, and that they are likely unloved except by some of those around them - nobody not on the planet.

Because as far as we know, that's how it is, and it isn't hard to accept if you have been outside of religions most or all of your life. What does theism offer a person that has no need for it? So, no, I don't ask believers for evidence of a god. I tell them that I don't believe because neither they nor anybody else can give me a reason to join them

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Most atheists were believers at one time, but objective evidence would probably work.