• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists, if God existed….

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Alright. Well, I guess that's kind of the point. Gods seem to have an awfully hands off approach to dealing with mankind, and they are content in letting us murder each other in their name - to what end? How does this show care? When I care about something, I take an active role to correct things when they don't go the way I want - especially when my name is on the line.
The only way God takes an active role is by sending Messengers in every age. God sends them to guide humanity in the right way of living. If people do not recognize them and follow their teachings and laws I cannot see how that is God’s fault.
I can't help but to think that if a god does exist, he's probably happy just the way things are now. I guess that's why the concept of an all good god as portrayed in Abrahamic texts or other such religions doesn't make much sense to me. Seems to go against the natural way things work.
Just because you do not see God “doing” anything that does not mean God is happy. We cannot know if God is happy. We can only know that God allows things to be as they are.
That's not really my point. I guess what I'm wondering is why god would use such an imperfect and sketchy method to promote his message. false prophets and cult leaders abound and have existed since the dawn of man. Why then come along and promote the real message using the same method that these conmen used since long before then? The real message would have to compete with a plethora of other similar messages, and all this would do is muddy and confuse the reception of the true message.
Logically speaking, just because there are many false prophets that does not mean there cannot be a true prophet. I assume that God expects us to distinguish between the two kinds of prophets. The messages will not be similar.
I guess the same goes for scripture as far as accuracy goes. Over time languages change, and people then have to either rely on modern interpretations for ancient contexts, use translations where then words lose their original meanings, or just trust that an "expert" has it right. I guess one could learn the language of the original text used to write the scriptures, but even then one didn't live during those times and only guesses can be made by what they meant based on what we know of the times back then. How can a message be timeless if it's references and contexts apply to a time long since gone? Even updates via new prophets coming along in later times will eventually succumb to the same issues, as well.
That is one reason God sends a new Messenger in every new age, updates are required. Unfortunately, most people cling to the religions of the past and do not recognize the new message from the new Messenger for a long time.

There are other reasons why God sends a new Messenger. Times changes and the world we live in changes so the remedies prescribed by God for humanity in the past can never be suited for the present age, nor will they be suited for a subsequent age.

“The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 213

These methods don't seem very practical to me.
Sending Messengers in every age to bring us a new Revelation from God in order to renew religion has always been the method God has used.

“And now concerning thy question regarding the nature of religion. Know thou that they who are truly wise have likened the world unto the human temple. As the body of man needeth a garment to clothe it, so the body of mankind must needs be adorned with the mantle of justice and wisdom. Its robe is the Revelation vouchsafed unto it by God. Whenever this robe hath fulfilled its purpose, the Almighty will assuredly renew it. For every age requireth a fresh measure of the light of God. Every Divine Revelation hath been sent down in a manner that befitted the circumstances of the age in which it hath appeared.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 81

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sorry, it’s just me again with my series of silly questions, courtesy of an atheist poster on my forum. :rolleyes:

If God existed, COULD God communicate directly with everyone instead of using Messengers?

If God existed, WOULD God communicate directly with everyone instead of using Messengers?

If God existed, SHOULD God communicate directly with everyone instead of using Messengers?
By everyone, I mean every one of the 7.53 billion people in the world.

Please answer yes or no and give me the reasons for your answer.

Note: One of these is a trick question and I want to see if any of you figure it out. :D

Thanks, Trailblazer

I dont understand why you keep addressing these threads to atheists. Unless its to trick them using a false sense of security into admitting a god exists.

As far as the complete lack of evidence goes, even the "if" is dodgey.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Perhaps God would use a monolith.

God would certainly desire to stand out and apart from others. At least to those interested.

I don't even see how nature reflects a God. Unless life was meant to survive by hunting other life.

Why would God be totally unrelatable to humans?

I'm not saying that there isn't some sort of eternal intelligence out there. But it barely knows how to create. Or it's stuck with inferior materials or something.

There doesn't seem to be a master plan. And pretty words from Ba'h'ullah doesn't seem to convey anything. It makes claims, but no evidence.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If God existed, COULD God communicate directly with everyone instead of using Messengers?

Yes, if He is omnipotent, which is part of His definition.

If God existed, WOULD God communicate directly with everyone instead of using Messengers?
Since I did not receive any broadcast from God, and I am not aware that any of my ancestors did, I suppose He would not.

If God existed, SHOULD God communicate directly with everyone instead of using Messengers?

nope, if He does not care to send us messages. If He cared to send us messages, then yes.

ciao

- viole

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
The only way God takes an active role is by sending Messengers in every age. God sends them to guide humanity in the right way of living. If people do not recognize them and follow their teachings and laws I cannot see how that is God’s fault.

Huh. Well, Do you believe god is limited by some outside force that only allows him to use chosen ones to promote his message? Or is it by choice that he does this? If it is by choice, surely he could use a different method, I'd think.

Just because you do not see God “doing” anything that does not mean God is happy. We cannot know if God is happy. We can only know that God allows things to be as they are.

You got me there. :) Then again, the only frame of reference I have to work with are my own personal standards.

Logically speaking, just because there are many false prophets that does not mean there cannot be a true prophet. I assume that God expects us to distinguish between the two kinds of prophets. The messages will not be similar.
That is one reason God sends a new Messenger in every new age, updates are required. Unfortunately, most people cling to the religions of the past and do not recognize the new message from the new Messenger for a long time.

There are other reasons why God sends a new Messenger. Times changes and the world we live in changes so the remedies prescribed by God for humanity in the past can never be suited for the present age, nor will they be suited for a subsequent age.

“The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 213

Sending Messengers in every age to bring us a new Revelation from God in order to renew religion has always been the method God has used.

“And now concerning thy question regarding the nature of religion. Know thou that they who are truly wise have likened the world unto the human temple. As the body of man needeth a garment to clothe it, so the body of mankind must needs be adorned with the mantle of justice and wisdom. Its robe is the Revelation vouchsafed unto it by God. Whenever this robe hath fulfilled its purpose, the Almighty will assuredly renew it. For every age requireth a fresh measure of the light of God. Every Divine Revelation hath been sent down in a manner that befitted the circumstances of the age in which it hath appeared.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 81

Doesn't that method seem to be counter productive, though? If god's intent is that his message betters mankind, why use a method that creates conflict? When a new prophet comes along with a new message, that message has to contend with a deeply entrenched message before that. Then the new message after that has to contend with both of the messages that existed before that one. You'd have a patchwork of older and newer messages the whole world over. On top of that, the messages provided by true prophets that clashed would have to contend with the religions of false prophets as well. Everything would be all mixed up, and the true message would be diluted by false or outdated messages.

Seems that this patchwork would also be condusive towards cultivating a world full of holy wars and subjugation for folks that believe differently. Countless suffering and destruction for the betterment of mankind? Something doesn't smell right about that. :shrug:

Segev Moran

Basing my answers on the Jewish belief... :)

Yes
God is constantly communicating with everyone.
And no...
God can communicate with those willing to communicate.
Yes.
Every person can learn how to listen and understand God's language.
Yes.
But communication is not one sided.
It takes more than one entity to communicate.
Communication can only happen if at least one part transmits information and another part can interpret this information.
The problem is most people (me included :)) lack the ability to interpret the language God uses in the right way ;) [At least most of it]
Note: One of these is a trick question and I want to see if any of you figure it out. :D

Thanks, Trailblazer
Thank you ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I dont understand why you keep addressing these threads to atheists. Unless its to trick them using a false sense of security into admitting a god exists.
No, my reason for posting these threads has nothing to do with what you stated. I even explained on some of these threads why I was posting them. It is because of an atheist on my forum who has inspired me to post them. I have been posting to him almost daily for over five years and he makes all kinds of bald assertions and arguments from ignorance about what God COULD, WOULD and SHOULD do if God exists, and what God would want (100% of people believing in Him), as if he could ever know any of that. I am losing my mind listening to him. :eek: If you do not believe I am telling a true story all you have to do is go to my forum and read our posts going back and forth daily.

Last night I was finally at the end of my rope posting back to him and then I thought to post this thread to hopefully get some other perspectives from rational atheists on this forum. :) It does not help me with him because he does not care what other atheists say; he is so firm in his position that God -- if God exists -- could and would and should communicate directly to every single human on earth instead of using messengers to communicate.
As far as the complete lack of evidence goes, even the "if" is dodgey.
This thread has nothing to do with evidence for God. It is about what God could, would, or should do to communicate to humans, IF God exists.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Since I did not receive any broadcast from God, and I am not aware that any of my ancestors did, I suppose He would not.
You figured out my trick question. :D
If God exists, God would not communicate directly with everyone, and we know that because if God exists God does not communicate directly with everyone.

This is pretty obvious to people who can think rationally.

ChristineM

Premium Member
No, my reason for posting these threads has nothing to do with what you stated. I even explained on some of these threads why I was posting them. It is because of an atheist on my forum who has inspired me to post them. I have been posting to him almost daily for over five years and he makes all kinds of bald assertions and arguments from ignorance about what God COULD, WOULD and SHOULD do if God exists, and what God would want (100% of people believing in Him), as if he could ever know any of that. I am losing my mind listening to him. :eek: If you do not believe I am telling a true story all you have to do is go to my forum and read our posts going back and forth daily.

Last night I was finally at the end of my rope posting back to him and then I thought to post this thread to hopefully get some other perspectives from rational atheists on this forum. :) It does not help me with him because he does not care what other atheists say; he is so firm in his position that God -- if God exists -- could and would and should communicate directly to every single human on earth instead of using messengers to communicate.

This thread has nothing to do with evidence for God. It is about what God could, would, or should do to communicate to humans, IF God exists.

Chuckle, statements from ignorance about god. Everyone who makes assertions about any god is talking from ignorance. And i have had discussions with you on this subject. I seem to remember me saying similar to you.

If its causing you stress (which it seems to be from your post) it's time to take a rational look and perhaps simply ignore him.

Thanks for explaining, though i still cannot answer your OP, "if god" anything doesnt make sence

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Huh. Well, Do you believe god is limited by some outside force that only allows him to use chosen ones to promote his message? Or is it by choice that he does this? If it is by choice, surely he could use a different method, I'd think.
God is not limited by anything or anyone, so it would be logical to assume that if God is All-Knowing and All-Wise, God chose the best method to accomplish His goals.

Can you think of a better method whereby God could get an entire revelation to ALL of humanity, than revealing it to one Messenger who could write scriptures and make them available to everyone on earth?
Doesn't that method seem to be counter productive, though? If god's intent is that his message betters mankind, why use a method that creates conflict? When a new prophet comes along with a new message, that message has to contend with a deeply entrenched message before that. Then the new message after that has to contend with both of the messages that existed before that one. You'd have a patchwork of older and newer messages the whole world over. On top of that, the messages provided by true prophets that clashed would have to contend with the religions of false prophets as well. Everything would be all mixed up, and the true message would be diluted by false or outdated messages.
You are very observant. :)
Exactly what you said happens is what has happened over the course of history.
As long as humans are involved, being the recipients of the messages from God, conflict is inevitable, since humans have an ego and humans have a tendency to be attached to what they already believe unless they are very open-minded and they are sincere seekers of truth and they are willing to put forth the necessary effort in order to discover that truth.

There is a solution, but it is not going to happen overnight because humans have free will. It will take a very long time for people to recognize the *new* Messenger of God for this age, and God might need to intervene before that happens, but I believe that in the future everyone will willingly adhere to one religion. I believe that because it is written in the scriptures of my religion that this has been ordained by God:

“That which the Lord hath ordained as the sovereign remedy and mightiest instrument for the healing of all the world is the union of all its peoples in one universal Cause, one common Faith. This can in no wise be achieved except through the power of a skilled, an all-powerful and inspired Physician. This, verily, is the truth, and all else naught but error.”
The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 91

Nobody knows how long that will take or what the *one religion* will be called. I believe that Messengers of God will continue to be sent by God throughout eternity and each time a new religion will be established.
Seems that this patchwork would also be condusive towards cultivating a world full of holy wars and subjugation for folks that believe differently. Countless suffering and destruction for the betterment of mankind? Something doesn't smell right about that. :shrug:
Sure there has been a lot of holy wars and subjugation for folks that believe differently throughout history, but I believe that this ship is slowly starting to turn around and that it will eventually turn completely around and there will be peace and world unity and the Kingdom of God will be established on earth, because that was prophesied in the Bible. There may or may not be hell to pay before this happens, nobody can know the future except God.

“God’s purpose is none other than to usher in, in ways He alone can bring about, and the full significance of which He alone can fathom, the Great, the Golden Age of a long-divided, a long-afflicted humanity. Its present state, indeed even its immediate future, is dark, distressingly dark. Its distant future, however, is radiant, gloriously radiant—so radiant that no eye can visualize it......”
The Promised Day is Come, p. 116

Bird123

Sorry, it’s just me again with my series of silly questions, courtesy of an atheist poster on my forum. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Trailblazer

How about this: God does not want to intimidate your choices. Free choice is a big part of the learning system God has in place. As I see it, God isn't going to directly communicate with anyone. Further, God isn't going to send messengers to intimidate your choices either. On the other hand, if one understands God and what God is doing with this world, God might show up for a visit only if that visit would not intimidate choices. That will be very few.

Communication with God will be different after your body's physical death. The current lesson will be over.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Basing my answers on the Jewish belief... :)

Yes
God is constantly communicating with everyone.
And no...
God can communicate with those willing to communicate.

Yes.
Every person can learn how to listen and understand God's language.

Yes.
But communication is not one sided.
It takes more than one entity to communicate.
Communication can only happen if at least one part transmits information and another part can interpret this information.
The problem is most people (me included :)) lack the ability to interpret the language God uses in the right way ;) [At least most of it]

Thank you ;)
Thanks for sharing your views. :)

I agree that God will communicate to everyone who is willing to hear, but I do not think it is in an audible voice. However, I do not think that God ever forces Himself upon anyone because that would be a violation of free will. If people shut God out or if they shut out the possibility that God exists, then they will not ever know that God exists.

5: O SON OF BEING! Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant. The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 4

I think that some atheists have decided that God does not exist unless God does certain things they expect Him to do, provide a certain kind of evidence. that is setting parameters for God and it will never succeed.

I have the same problem with shutting God out, so I understand how some atheists might feel. But I have the advantage that I definitely believe (know) that God exists, and I know some things about how God operates, so I know that I have nobody to blame but myself if I am distant from God. I try not to blame myself though because I have certain handicaps and I believe God knows what they are. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Chuckle, statements from ignorance about god. Everyone who makes assertions about any god is talking from ignorance. And i have had discussions with you on this subject. I seem to remember me saying similar to you.
As I tell this atheist poster, he makes arguments from ignorance since there is no way he can know anything about God unless he has a Source of information. To simply say that God is omnipotent so God would do x, y or z is an argument from ignorance since there is no way he can know what God would do if God existed.

I do not make arguments from ignorance, I make arguments from belief. :D
I do not expect atheists to accept my arguments as true, they are just my beliefs.
If its causing you stress (which it seems to be from your post) it's time to take a rational look and perhaps simply ignore him.
Thanks, I have considered this but I have not been able to bring myself to do it. I posted to him on various forums for most of these years and I could never get him to come to my forum, but then a couple of my atheist friends convinced him to come to my forum so now that he finally came about six months ago I do not feel it would be polite to ignore him. I do not think he will ever believe in God. The best I can hope for is that I get him to think and he gets me to think and it has precipitated a lot of threads on this forum wherein I have met new atheists I like posting to. :)
Thanks for explaining, though i still cannot answer your OP, "if god" anything doesnt make sence
You are right of course and I sure wish you could tell the atheist poster on my forum that, but I cannot get him to post here. :( He did chase me down here once when I withheld posting to him for several days and posted to me on my forum that I built a straw man. I told him if he wants to present his position he can come here and post it.... I live for the day he would do that. :D

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How about this: God does not want to intimidate your choices. Free choice is a big part of the learning system God has in place. As I see it, God isn't going to directly communicate with anyone.
I agree, because that would take away free choice.
Further, God isn't going to send messengers to intimidate your choices either.
I do not think that messengers intimidate our choices since we have a choice to believe in them or not, and even if we do believe in them we still have free choices.
On the other hand, if one understands God and what God is doing with this world, God might show up for a visit only if that visit would not intimidate choices. That will be very few.
How could God show up for a visit? o_O
Communication with God will be different after your body's physical death. The current lesson will be over.
I fully agree with that. This life is for learning what we will need to know in the next life. If we do not learn our lessons here we will be handicapped in the next life. :(

You might like this book, because it correlates with your views. It describes this world as kind of a workshop where we learn lessons and Discover God by looking at His Creation. :)
The Purpose of Physical Reality

Milton Platt

Depends upon the attributes of the god. You will have to define the abilities of the god you have in mind. Gods are made up, so it will vary with the god. Once you do that, you will have answered your own question.
If we're going with the Christian god, one would think he would be able to according to Christians.

Have no idea and neither does anyone else. It hasn't even been established that a god exists, so how would we begin to know it's intentions? It's like speculating on the intentions of Leprechauns.

Again, it depends upon the god's intentions, and we can't know the intentions of a being that we don't even know exists.

Thanks, Trailblazer

ChristineM

Premium Member
As I tell this atheist poster, he makes arguments from ignorance since there is no way he can know anything about God unless he has a Source of information. To simply say that God is omnipotent so God would do x, y or z is an argument from ignorance since there is no way he can know what God would do if God existed.

I do not make arguments from ignorance, I make arguments from belief. :D
I do not expect atheists to accept my arguments as true, they are just my beliefs.

Thanks, I have considered this but I have not been able to bring myself to do it. I posted to him on various forums for most of these years and I could never get him to come to my forum, but then a couple of my atheist friends convinced him to come to my forum so now that he finally came about six months ago I do not feel it would be polite to ignore him. I do not think he will ever believe in God. The best I can hope for is that I get him to think and he gets me to think and it has precipitated a lot of threads on this forum wherein I have met new atheists I like posting to. :)

You are right of course and I sure wish you could tell the atheist poster on my forum that, but I cannot get him to post here. :( He did chase me down here once when I withheld posting to him for several days and posted to me on my forum that I built a straw man. I told him if he wants to present his position he can come here and post it.... I live for the day he would do that. :D

To say the results of omnipotence is a statement made on the word omnipotent, non on the omnipotent being. So not from ignorance but from understand of language. Think on that.

And we have had this discussion before, belief is not fact, is not evidence, is not proof so your belief may stem from ignorance or from people before you who made ignorant statements.

Your choice, however evidence (thats real falsifiable evidence) could possibly change his mind. One cannot argue (except of course creationists and the like) against valid evidence. Of course no such evidence has been presented in all the time gods have been worshipped so dont hold your breath waiting. Certainly if such evidence were provided i wou have to reconsider my position. In my view its a great pity that so many religious are not so flexible.

Segev Moran

Thanks for sharing your views. :)
Any time :)
Thanks for sharing yours.
I agree that God will communicate to everyone who is willing to hear, but I do not think it is in an audible voice.
I agree. Voice is one of the worst communication method we have :)
Voice, is not a real thing. it is how our brain interprets vibrations of air :)
However, I do not think that God ever forces Himself upon anyone because that would be a violation of free will.
I partly agree.
I don't think one can "not experience" God.
Whatever it is you think you choose to do, relates to God (including being an atheist ;))
If people shut God out or if they shut out the possibility that God exists, then they will not ever know that God exists.
Not necessarily.
I didn't believe God existed for a long time. I didn't really "needed" it in my life.
That was so until i realized it is in my life whether i understand it or not.
Once this understanding came to be (literally), everything changed.
My entire understanding of my life, my experiences and in fact now it seems very strange to me how i "missed" God.
But the fact i shut it out, didn't mean i didn't know it exist. i simply didn't know it was God :)
I think that some atheists have decided that God does not exist
I wouldn't phrase it like that. This is a misleading thing to claim about atheists.
Atheist don't decide God doesn't exist. they will simply be (usually) people who require a more vivid and physical evidence of things.
I was there. I still am skeptical in my way of thought.
Atheists simply haven't found (yet ;)) a good enough reason to believe God exist.
It is very easy to relate as so many horrific things throughout history were done (and still are) in the name of God (by people who have very little understanding of what God is not)
unless God does certain things they expect Him to do, provide a certain kind of evidence.
Also (mostly) not true.
Atheist have no expectation from God as they don't really think there is one.
that is setting parameters for God and it will never succeed.
I can't claim to know that.
As far as i know, it might be that some day God will be understood without a doubt by anyone.
I have the same problem with shutting God out, so I understand how some atheists might feel.
That's good. It is also important that you understand why they feel what they feel.
It has got nothing to do with shutting God out :)
But I have the advantage that I definitely believe (know) that God exists,
Great :) I share the same knowledge, but i can't say it gives me any advantage over anyone.
I Know many people who do not believe in God that lead life i could only wish for (not material, rather "spiritual").
So many good people can teach so many "believers" the true meaning of God without even knowing they are doing it.
In fact, many of my understanding and discoveries about God came from people who lack the belief in it!
ALL those who believe in God should learn how to be an atheist! so many monstrosities will be spared from our world!

I at times envy people who "have no God" in their lives. things are much easier that way :)
and I know some things about how God operates
That is a very strong statement :)
so I know that I have nobody to blame but myself if I am distant from God.
I hope. you had great life so far if that was the case :)
I try not to blame myself though because I have certain handicaps and I believe God knows what they are. ;)
We all do.
Some have physical ones, some emotional ones and some mental ones.
Our handicaps are whats builds us and makes us much stronger.

I Hope i haven't offended you in any way :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To say the results of omnipotence is a statement made on the word omnipotent, non on the omnipotent being. So not from ignorance but from understand of language. Think on that.
The most he can say is that God COULD do anything. the minute he says that God WOULD do something he is making an argument from ignorance because nobody can know what God would do. The minute he says that God SHOULD do something he is putting himself above God, because that implies that God should do something different from what God is doing right now, IF God exists.

Most atheists understand this because they are logical but the atheist on my forum does not understand it because his bias completely clouds any logical abilities he might have.
And we have had this discussion before, belief is not fact, is not evidence, is not proof so your belief may stem from ignorance or from people before you who made ignorant statements.
And I have always conceded to the fact that belief is not fact. There is evidence that supports my belief, but it is only evidence to people to whom it indicates that the belief is true.
Your choice, however evidence (thats real falsifiable evidence) could possibly change his mind. One cannot argue (except of course creationists and the like) against valid evidence. Of course no such evidence has been presented in all the time gods have been worshipped so dont hold your breath waiting.
I am not trying to change his mind, that is not my responsibility.
There is no such evidence so don't hold your breath waiting. I am not holding my breath because I already have *what I consider* evidence.

Belief does not make anyone a good person, I figured that out about six years ago, a few months after I started posting on a forum that was comprised of mostly atheists, most of whom care a lot more about the state of the world than most believers. You are obviously a good person who leads a moral life so not believing in God is no big deal, Imo.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The most he can say is that God COULD do anything. the minute he says that God WOULD do something he is making an argument from ignorance because nobody can know what God would do. The minute he says that God SHOULD do something he is putting himself above God, because that implies that God should do something different from what God is doing right now, IF God exists.

Most atheists understand this because they are logical but the atheist on my forum does not understand it because his bias completely clouds any logical abilities he might have.

And I have always conceded to the fact that belief is not fact. There is evidence that supports my belief, but it is only evidence to people to whom it indicates that the belief is true.

I am not trying to change his mind, that is not my responsibility.
There is no such evidence so don't hold your breath waiting. I am not holding my breath because I already have *what I consider* evidence.

Belief does not make anyone a good person, I figured that out about six years ago, a few months after I started posting on a forum that was comprised of mostly atheists, most of whom care a lot more about the state of the world than most believers. You are obviously a good person who leads a moral life so not believing in God is no big deal, Imo.

I think we are arguing about different things. I got from your earlier posts the subject was omnipotence. Not the will of how that omnipotence is used.

And thresholds of evidence we have discussed also.

Oh, have you been here
An introduction.
A new member, joined today, a Baha'i and asking if there are other Baha'i on RF.