• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists attack religion* because they are ignorant

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You apparently are missing any meaning in this post.

If theist is too broad, as I stated, then why are you using it?

. . . because it is descriptive of those that believe in God(s), regardless of the name(s) or member of God(s) believed. You can get more specific, and used monotheist, or polytheist.

The English language is descriptive and it is easy to narrow the concept of Theist to specify the beliefs concerning what any one religion, church or belief system beliefs concerning the 'Source' some call God(s).

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"god" merely became the descriptive word to denote 'other gods', (this is their deity) type of thing. Very vague when used in that context.
Wait... because your god is "the god" and everyone else's gods are "other gods"? Do I understand you properly?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Wait... because your god is "the god" and everyone else's gods are "other gods"? Do I understand you properly?
"god", became descriptive of 'other gods'.

It's a language thing. God is a name, and a word. When describing another deity, they used the name/word as an description, for it to be understood, that that is a deity.

Of course my god is not other peoples gods, unless by chance it is/ it can be.

In my language, cultural language usage, "God" is the name of my god, 》 gothic / germanic english; so, it does correlate to traditional usage, in this language, as well.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
"god", became descriptive of 'other gods'.

It's a language thing. God is a name, and a word. When describing another deity, they used the name/word as an description, for it to be understood, that that is a deity.

Of course my god is not other peoples gods, unless by chance it is/ it can be.

In my language, cultural language usage, "God" is the name of my god, 》 gothic / germanic english, so, it does correlate to traditional usage, in this language, as well.
if your God can be called the Almighty....He is also my God

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
not so sure about that....
I don't always like working
but I believe in it

I was referring to belief systems, because I often here believers talk about atheist hating or disliking God, which is a contradiction of belief.

I would add the belief in Theism includes the belief that God(s) communicate with humanity, ie Revelation written or spoken. As opposed to Deism where God creates but does not communicate, directly reveal or get involved in human affairs.

Last edited:

Milton Platt

*religion in this case is religion as a monolithic thing, not specifically one religion or another but just the idea of it at all.

My sister topic to: theists attack atheism because they are insecure

So before I ragged on the theist tendencies about atheism, but oh no I'm not done yet! Now you see atheists are no saints either. They often do things just as bad in terms of intellectual honesty. Making strawmen and the like. I wasn't able to really think of a lot to say about what atheists say about theism, so I thought I would focus on what I am, since I previously said I'm neither an atheist or theist; but a religious person.

The biggest thing for me, many atheists like to act as if all religions are fundamentalist Christianity. And when they see that none of those arguments work against my beliefs, eventually just refuse to listen to any suggestion that maybe we have common ground and just insult religion as if it was some kind of monolithic thing.

What really gets me too, is even when we do find the common ground, they try to claim me as an atheist and say things like I have a "bull**** mythology to comfort" myself. Which isn't true. They miss the nuance, the philosophy, the ethics, ritual and tradition and so much more. Religion isn't just about belief, and what beliefs I do have, are not theistic but that doesn't make them atheistic. There's this nebulous zone called pantheism, although it seems I have some transtheism as well. In either case I view such things as a duality onto itself, atheism and theism.

Despite that it seems a lot of atheists unfairly act as if all religions are equal. I get it though, some religions have done a lot of bad. Two of them make the majority of the world population. But that has more to do with how they spread and their doctrine rather than an inherent quality in religion itself. I think it's important to remember that not all beliefs are equal, and just having a religion doesn't make you irrational, unscientific or illogical. It doesn't make you superstitious. Heck, you don't even need to believe in Supernaturalism to be religious, and I'm just one example.

In short, atheists will often times attack religion just for their personal connotations of it, knowing little or nothing about the beliefs or if they do go and try to learn about it, it will be with the starting point of wanting to disprove it from the get-go and ignore any possibly valid points along the way, something inherently against an intellectually honest thought-process. Could you imagine if scientists just ignored anything that didn't already agree with their hypothesis? We wouldn't of gotten that far if that were the case!

So let me bring this back to the point that many again assume any religious thing is bull****. It's funny though when I bring up say someone like Sam Harris, who's actually seen a lot of good in Jainism and Buddhism. When I've brought this up before I'm told I'm lying or making it up... but then:|

Killing the Buddha (killing the Buddha refers to an actual Buddhist teaching where Buddhists are advised to do that if they ever see the Buddha on the roadside)

Sam Harris Talks Spirituality : Secular Buddhist Association

And yet I've been told things before like Sam Harris would "never support irrational, superstitious bull****". Funny how these kinds of people seem to not be familiar with some of Sam Harris's work neither know anything about more eastern types of religions.

However Sam Harris I would say is very critical of religion but not of all things religious. He's well educated, and looked at many different religions with an objective eye. I will disagree with him on some ways he sees these religions but he at least recognizes the valid underpinnings of the traditions. I do agree with him that many are cloaked in too much supernaturalism and superstition, but religion doesn't have to be that way, I'd argue. But at least then from those 2 viewpoints there is a debate to be had that's not making caricatures of eachother.

But only Sam Harris is Sam Harris. Many people who just want to blast at religion I feel are (often rightfully) mad at some very specific religious traditions causing harm in the world. However combine their anger/fear with ignorance of most of religions, and you get a recipe for unfounded disdain or hate.

It's okay for us to disagree, and argue for or against various aspects of religion, so long as we are representing eachother's positions honestly. Trying to characterize one's religion as a more easily defeated one is a strawman, And I'm not okay with that.

You seem to be attempting to address anti-theism, which is fine....but that is not atheism. Theists tend to also be anti=theist with regard to all the gods except their own version. It is no problem to admit that there are both theists and atheists who make bad arguments. It is also no problem admitting that many atheists are also anti-theists because they see the harm not only in the doctrines and the actions done in the name of those religions, but because it simply is not good to live ones life according to something that has no basis in reality. If your religion is something that is based upon something that can be tested and shown to be valid, then it is unique among religions (theistic religions, anyway). But then it probably falls outside of the generally accepted definition of a religion. If you want to share all the details of what you believe and why you believe it, that's just fine. Lay it out up front and everyone can debate whether it is based on verifiable information and is subject to falsification. The only issue I see here is that by what you have written, you do not share your beliefs until after someone objects to religion on general principals, then want to say your religion does not fall within the general guidelines of a theistic religion. Fine. So what?

As to Sam Harris, I don't think he has ever said he "supports" Buddhism or Jainism. He may agree that there are some good aspects within them...that is not the same thing.

All religions are not "equal" but it is easy to argue generally against theistic religions as though they were to some degree as they are all based upon the belief in the supernatural. It is also important to realize that we only hear from a small handful of either theists or atheists in online discussions, as most are silent. So you are making a monumental generalization from a tiny sampling.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
not so sure about that....
I don't always like working
but I believe in it

. . . but it does not help nor is it meaningful to dislike work. Like hating math, math and work are indifferent to your emotional involvement hatred nor disliking something nor the other..

Nonetheless, atheists do not hate things like Gods, angels devils, unicorns and dragons they do not believe in.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

So claim all the different tribes with competing God(s).
And who might they be?

The monotheists, like yourself, all claim that there is one supreme being whom they worship. It would seem to follow that they can only differ as to the exact nature of that god and how that worship should be conducted.

The polytheists, like me, do not regard their gods as in competition. The fact that I held a festival of Dionysos last week doesn't mean that I reject anyone's worship of Ganesha. And neither of us would claim that either god was almighty.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
And who might they be?

The monotheists, like yourself, all claim that there is one supreme being whom they worship. It would seem to follow that they can only differ as to the exact nature of that god and how that worship should be conducted.

The polytheists, like me, do not regard their gods as in competition. The fact that I held a festival of Dionysos last week doesn't mean that I reject anyone's worship of Ganesha. And neither of us would claim that either god was almighty.

Well ah . . . many Hindus claim Brahman is the only true Monotheistic God. Jews do not accept the Christian Trinitarian God, and neither do Muslims. Both believe that the Christian God as Christians describe does not exist.

In ancient history of the Middle East there were many competing Gods among the various tribes and cultures some monotheistic some polytheistic.

Last edited:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I don't have enough energy in my life to attack religion. I just explain to religious people why I don't believe what they do and cut out the fundamentalists who want to make it a bigger problem for me. It's usually theists "attacking" me instead of the other way around.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Why would you assume that? There are theists that don't follow the Abrahamic religions.
No basis for assuming anything, the belief in God is simply that a belief in God.

The beliefs of the many diverse religions and belief systems is a very human view of of the existence of God or as the case may be Gods.