• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists attack religion* because they are ignorant

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Don't agree. Not a stereotype... a fact until proven otherwise

Then I can conclude your Theist bias against the secular considers them anti-theist, and can be associated with atheism, which reinforces the point of my argument, the different polls, and history of the attitude of Theists toward atheists.

. . . "until proven otherwise." ?!?!? Are you proposing the necessity of proving the negative.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Then I can conclude your Theist bias against the secular considers them anti-theist, and can be associated with atheism, which reinforces the point of my argument, the different polls, and history of the attitude of Theists toward atheists.

. . . "until proven otherwise." ?!?!? Are you proposing the necessity of proving the negative.
People don't define their religious adherence as "theist"

You're presenting a fake and vague argument.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
People don't define their religious adherence as "theist"

You're presenting a fake and vague argument.

They define their religious belief as Theist. Adherence is just an descriptive of the degree of belief. The concept of adherence does not apply to my argument.

My argument is based on references and not vague. Attempting to create a high fog index does not effect the argument.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think we will have to agree to disagree. One could say your bias is shining even now.

I remain with the statement that my statistics teacher said... "you can make polls say anything you want".

In as much as I am a source of polls (being requested to take it as a Christian) -- I have first hand experience that it is wholly inadequate.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
They define their religious belief as Theist. Adherence is just an descriptive of the degree of belief. The concept of adherence does not apply to my argument.

My argument is based on references and not vague. Attempting to create a high fog index does not effect the argument.
No, they don't.
Theist is too vague as a self description, could mean any number of things.

Ponder This

None of this invalidates polls. Not enough people are qualified to evaluate many things. Some people that graduate with a PhD know only to 'pile it higher and deeper. Your still
obfuscating with canards instead for addressing the underlying issues of the relationships of those who believe differently, and the reason many Theists are hateful and distrustful of atheists, and there is a history here. Many Theists equate atheism with the Hitler, Stalin and Mao and their rule.

The information in the poll by Penny Edgell, Douglas Hartmann, and Joseph Gerteis was included in a broader study with references in on the Oxford Secular Society publication, and is backed up by a number of polls over the years. The same results are found in a Gallup poll from 2012 found that 43 pecent of Americans said that they would not vote for an atheist for president, putting atheists in last/worst place, behind Muslims (40 percent of Americans said they wouldn’t vote for a Muslim for president), homosexuals (30 percent wouldn’t), Mormons (18 percent wouldn’t), Latinos (7 percent wouldn’t), Jews (6 percent wouldn’t), Catholics (5 percent wouldn’t), women (5 percent wouldn’t) and African Americans (4 percent wouldn’t).

Anecdotal meaningless citations only lead to 'You only think you do.' with a Theist agenda.

You appear to be under the impression that I'm saying the poll that you presented is wrong. In reality, I'm simply responding to the discussion around...
I don't trust polls. As my statistics teacher said, "You can make numbers say anything. Not to mention that the first sentence is hardly correct and the second does' t take into account what percentage of atheists attack Theists. Would it be because of their insecurity too?

You presented a poll and some people simply don't trust polls regardless of the supposed agenda. I actually attempted to give some reasons we might have to trust certain polls. By the way, quoting more polls wasn't one of those reasons.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I think we will have to agree to disagree. One could say your bias is shining even now.

I am a Theist.

I remain with the statement that my statistics teacher said... "you can make polls say anything you want".

The evidence and history includes more then polls. I have had graduate level, two courses, and your hand wave does not pass muster. You and other choose the dodge when polls do not say what you would like them to say.

In as much as I am a source of polls (being requested to take it as a Christian) -- I have first hand experience that it is wholly inadequate.

Not all polls are equal. I believe these polls (polls over time) are accompanied with supporting research and history of the problem.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There are often so many problems with statisitics.....
- Design of the analysis.
- Attention to bias in design
- Interpreting the result.
- Considering alternative interpretations.
- Even math can be erroneous.....I once found a basic math error in a Scientific Americastanian article.

Yes there are problems, as with all scientific methods, research, statistics, and polls, because they are the tools of science, and tools can be misused.

The problem is 'hand wave' objections, generalizations, and ah . . . quoting Mark Twain do not pass muster when objecting to the results of a poll, or whatever. One needs to be specific and provide reasonable counter arguments based on facts, and nor 'hand wave' generalizations.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Right , they don't.

And yet you seem to think it's logical? That they should?
No; my point is that "Earth" is implied, just as "theism" is implied.

If you ask someone where they live, the fact that they say "England" doesn't mean that they don't live on Earth. By the same token, if you ask someone what their beliefs are, they might say "I'm a Muslim," but they can also be described as a theist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You apparently are missing any meaning in this post.

If theist is too broad, as I stated, then why are you using it?
All "theist" means is "someone who believes in a god or gods." If "theist" is too broad a term, it's only because "god" is so vague as to be nearly meaningless.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes there are problems, as with all scientific methods, research, statistics, and polls, because they are the tools of science, and tools can be misused.

The problem is 'hand wave' objections, generalizations, and ah . . . quoting Mark Twain do not pass muster when objecting to the results of a poll, or whatever. One needs to be specific and provide reasonable counter arguments based on facts, and nor 'hand wave' generalizations.
I agree.
(Apologies for my being boring.)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
All "theist" means is "someone who believes in a god or gods." If "theist" is too broad a term, it's only because "god" is so vague as to be nearly meaningless.
Yes, "god" is vague. Therefore, making theist vague.

"god" merely became the descriptive word to denote 'other gods', (this is their deity) type of thing. Very vague when used in that context.