• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists attack religion* because they are ignorant

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Religion doesn't get a free pass.
soooooo.........no free pass

I agree....but let's take another look at that line drawn

I suspect God and heaven have a few lines drawn....just on the other side of the Door
depending on which ones you cross
you stay....or.....get thrown back out

could you perform?......according to lines drawn
what if your relatives don't get to stay?

what if you are given the task of showing them the exit?

soooooo.........no free pass

I agree....but let's take another look at that line drawn

I suspect God and heaven have a few lines drawn....just on the other side of the Door
depending on which ones you cross
you stay....or.....get thrown back out

could you perform?......according to lines drawn
what if your relatives don't get to stay?

what if you are given the task of showing them the exit?

What part of me being an atheist don't you understand? If I just started prattling on about how you should make sure you have good karma so you're not reincarnated as a worm or something, you'd probably just tune me out, right? If I just started making claims that you need to get "clear" and until you do you can't possibly know or handle the truth of reality (since you're being influenced by alien spirits), you'd probably just tune me out, right?

Simply making claims without providing anything to back them up doesn't impress me. Making lame threats like "if you don't believe as I do my god is going to punish you", doesn't impress me. I'd kinda have to believe your god even exists first to take your threat seriously, right?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What part of me being an atheist don't you understand? If I just started prattling on about how you should make sure you have good karma so you're not reincarnated as a worm or something, you'd probably just tune me out, right? If I just started making claims that you need to get "clear" and until you do you can't possibly know or handle the truth of reality (since you're being influenced by alien spirits), you'd probably just tune me out, right?

Simply making claims without providing anything to back them up doesn't impress me. Making lame threats like "if you don't believe as I do my god is going to punish you", doesn't impress me. I'd kinda have to believe your god even exists first to take your threat seriously, right?
look around you.....

you are your own handiwork?

no chance of surviving the last breath?
not one in billions?

and nothing Greater than you are?

james blunt

Atheists do not attack religion because they are ignorant, the ignorance is of religion because religion only gives subjective proof.

Until now , because my religion is providing proof.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Atheists do not attack religion because they are ignorant, the ignorance is of religion because religion only gives subjective proof.

Until now , because my religion is providing proof.
please start a thread

may I suggest a title?........I Have Proof!!!!!

james blunt

please start a thread

may I suggest a title?........I Have Proof!!!!!

You can suggest , a suggestion is not an order. I was not replying to you so you had no need to tell me to go start another thread sir. I listen to God and God told me to reply in this thread.

Do you have a problem with that ?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You can suggest , a suggestion is not an order. I was not replying to you so you had no need to tell me to go start another thread sir. I listen to God and God told me to reply in this thread.

Do you have a problem with that ?
I don't
speak as you are given

(but there's a rule about proselytizing.........be careful)

james blunt

I don't
speak as you are given

(but there's a rule about proselytizing.........be careful)

Believe me when I say that the moderators would find it very difficult to see any convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another. The reason for this is my religion is called God.
Can it be considered a convert if somebody is going stop believing in God and start believing in God?

Anyway my point was about atheists in this thread and the objective reason why they ''attack'' religion.

look around you.....

you are your own handiwork?

no chance of surviving the last breath?
not one in billions?

No credible evidence exists to support the existence of a god or an afterlife. So ALL claims about such things must be given equal credence, if you are an honest, reasonable and unbiased person. Your claims of some kind of afterlife carry the same amount of legitimacy as claims about reincarnation or a alien abduction claim, which is none, until credible evidence can be produced to back such claims up. You can't even produce one rational argument to back up your position. Your reasoning boils down to "I don't understand some things and I fear death therefore this magical stuff must exist to explain things and give me a sense of security, even though its invisible and can't be verified". So, yea, you have wishful thinking and nothing else to support your position. Educated atheists with critical thinking skills are just going to (rightfully) dismiss your unsubstantiated claims out of hand.

Thermos aquaticus

Anyway my point was about atheists in this thread and the objective reason why they ''attack'' religion.

I would word it slightly differently. Atheists debate religion in the appropriate forums because atheists and atheism are often misunderstood. We atheists hear all of the time that we are just blind and can't see the evidence for God. We are told that we are atheists because we hate God. We are told that deep down we really do believe in God, but we are atheists because we want to sin. We are told that we can't be moral people without religious belief. I think it is only fair that we be allowed to counter these claims in a civil manner in a designated debate forum.

Kelly of the Phoenix

As for being lazy and dense. Yes I would count myself as that, but then the bible also assumes it too of most "sinners" who neglect their salvation.
Funny, I would say it's usually Christianity that is shallow and lazy. I know that's why I don't go to church. If I wanted to listen to cackling hens, I'd go to a farm.

One of the main reasons I left Christianity was that it's claims don't mesh with reality.
Yes. "Judge the tree by its fruit ... as long as you're not looking at MY tree."

Do you not have any fear that bad things happen to bad people, or if they don't it is because God is longsuffering with them not willing to destroy them immediately?
When we let Murderer A get shot just because there was a rumor he was a murderer and was holding a cell phone and we let Murderer B go get some Burger King, we call that out (or SHOULD, anyway). Don't confuse grace and compassion with inconsistently applied justice. God lets genocidal maniacs get away with it while some guy trying to steady a really heavy box dies instantly. Yes, I know technically gravity killed the guy, but the bible claims God struck him down, so whatever. God lets the first murderer off scot free while the kid who actually won His favor gets a fatal blow to the head. Sometimes it just seems like if BibleGod is your friend, you don't need enemies.

I think your creator has a somewhat higher claim to authority than another human being.
Elevating a book to divine status is ironically against the rule against idolatry, but people still do it willingly.

A theist is not necessarily a Christian. Many are on the road to faith, but not all have got there. Along the road many fallacies will be held, but so what. It does not prove the end of faith is unreal.
I didn't lose faith in God. My God is independent of a book made by self-serving people either trying to engage in a temple-vs-state argument or a gentile-vs-Jew argument.

The nature of prophecy is that a very large amount of prophecy has an application to the time that it was written in, but also an extended interpretation.
So any biblical prophecy about a savior who conquers death and evil could be referring to Harry Potter? After all, it can have an extended interpretation and still be legit, right?

The skill of Jesus was in opening up the Old Testament to read all the prophecies about himself.
The skill of Jesus was picking prophecies that he could self-fulfill to impress stupid people.

It requires a high degree of intelligence that Christ alone possessed.
Lots of people are smarter than Jesus, at least the character we read about. "Historical" Jesus may have been smarter, but the character as written is kinda dumb most of the time. His parables in particular suggest he has little to no real knowledge of how anything works and even speaks of such ignorance in a parable where a sower spreads seeds and doesn't know how seeds germinate. I find it odd he's bragging about not knowing how things work and then has the audacity to claim he is the "Truth".

"Then he said unto them, O fools,
Remember when Jesus said people who call others "fools" will burn in hell? Pepperidge Farm remembers....

Since the more intelligent are more likely not to be religious, what does that say about God? S/He prefers the dimwits?
Well, the clergy whose paychecks depend on congregations sure do.

As I have said, the bible is just mythology, the god of the bible is no more real than Zeus, Ra, or Odin.
As research for my book, I learned of many ancient documents that say that El/Baal/Yam (or Yah[weh]) went to Greece and became Cronus/Zeus/Poseidon. They also have Egyptian histories as well. You can probably tell who traded with whom around the Mediterranean based on whose gods carried over.

So, from a certain perspective, to say God is real but Zeus isn't is to ignore that some factions considered them the exact same characters.

Claiming that God justifies human misery, that God aims to implement contemporary events to punish people and guide the world to the divine New World Order, is merely a self-serving excuse for the present status quo, the material circumstances that put human beings in their state. It is yet another way for the powerful to maintain their power and avoid relinquishing their capital (resources) for the greater good.
Yeah, funny how God is always portrayed as having no greater IQ than the rulers or writers.

Perhaps, but why is one religion any more legitimate than another when none of them have ANY evidence to back them up?
Or how come finding Jerusalem proves Yahweh but finding Troy doesn't prove Ares?

Yahweh is greater than I, just as His Father El is greater than He, just as Sky and Earth mated and made El.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No credible evidence exists to support the existence of a god or an afterlife. So ALL claims about such things must be given equal credence, if you are an honest, reasonable and unbiased person. Your claims of some kind of afterlife carry the same amount of legitimacy as claims about reincarnation or a alien abduction claim, which is none, until credible evidence can be produced to back such claims up. You can't even produce one rational argument to back up your position. Your reasoning boils down to "I don't understand some things and I fear death therefore this magical stuff must exist to explain things and give me a sense of security, even though its invisible and can't be verified". So, yea, you have wishful thinking and nothing else to support your position. Educated atheists with critical thinking skills are just going to (rightfully) dismiss your unsubstantiated claims out of hand.
you made an incorrect assumption of my methods.

try answering some of my questions

you made an incorrect assumption of my methods.

try answering some of my questions

I have responded properly to your LOADED questions. Why don't you answer this question.

Aren't you afraid of being reincarnated as a worm for not following the right religion?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have responded properly to your LOADED questions. Why don't you answer this question.

Aren't you afraid of being reincarnated as a worm for not following the right religion?
not afraid of reincarnation

and loaded questions are the only way to go

some people have to be led by the nose