• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists and agnotics, do you hope God exist?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Atheists and agnotics, do you hope God/a higher power exist? And do you hope an afterlife exist?

Hellbound Serpiente

Agnostic here.

OH HELL YEAH! I always hope and pray [irony] that God Exists and there is an afterlife. ALWAYS.

I have a vested interest in both cases.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Atheists and agnotics, do you hope God/a higher power exist? And do you hope an afterlife exist?

No. I'm not sure what god or higher power entails in the abrahamic sense.

No. If I believed or understood enough to say it makes sense rebirth (complete understanding) or reincarnation (union with god), I'd probably say one of these two. Insofar, it wouldn't be life after death but just continued life to learn more and wisen up until I am at a present state of being. Whether that means emptiness or union I don't know.

Hell, heaven, and all I don't understand that. When I hear people talk about it regardless of the denomination and religion I think about the movies (honestly). I can't associate it to reality and what I know of it.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I'm attracted to the idea of some eternal and pervasive something/essence/unity (I don't know the right word) that is perfectly simple and infinitely mysterious. If that's God then, yes I hope God exists.

The capricious nutter most theists project onto the world is hopefully not the case.

Afterlife would be a bonus but it makes no sense to me.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The God of my choice I would gladly serve with joy abounding. That would be a sweet forever.

Audie

Veteran Member

It would be nice.

The chridtmas story is
sooo nice, it makes me cry if i let it,

But, I just totally dont believe it.

As the Bard put it,
"If wishes was fishes
We'd all eat pie."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What's up with the darn leprechauns examples (to the invisible public)?

Always had a pet peeve over that. That and spaghetti monster.

From an atheist perspective, they are essentially equivalent. Mythical creatures that are supposed to make things *so* much better if they only existed.

They make for fun stories and jokes.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

I neither hope for nor against a deity existing. It just seems irrelevant to me.

As for an afterlife, except for the idea of living a bit longer, I don't really see the benefit.

I certainly do NOT want an *eternal* afterlife. That would be torture.