• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics! What are your sources of knowledge?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
And rational people understand that and don't pretend to achieve, or even seek, absolute certainty. That's the mark of an intellectually mature individual.

If there is truth and certainty; why it cannot be achieved? And yet one believe it exists.
Does one mean that Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics are wanting in sources of truthful knowledge to gain certainty?

Regards

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
If there is truth and certainty; why it cannot be achieved? And yet one believe it exists.
Does one mean that Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics are wanting in sources of truthful knowledge to gain certainty?

We never know anything to any degree of absolute certainty. We can't even be absolutely certain that we exist. I don't even know for absolute certain that I'm real and neither do you. These kinds of things are simply not possible and pretending otherwise isn't rational. Everything that we "know" is just reasonable to a specific percentage of certainty.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
We never know anything to any degree of absolute certainty. We can't even be absolutely certain that we exist. I don't even know for absolute certain that I'm real and neither do you. These kinds of things are simply not possible and pretending otherwise isn't rational. Everything that we "know" is just reasonable to a specific percentage of certainty.

It is rational to ask this question when the sources are enumerated as:
Science, facts and reality
Truth is the source of knowledge.
Yes, and ultimately truth.

Please give the percentage of certainty of the sources at the disposal of Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics, after mentioning all and giving the percentage of certainty against them, one by one.

Please

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

There is truth, but we are not particularly well equiped to finding out what it is.

Regards

You could see it that way if you really wanted to, I suppose. We usually don't see a point in doing so.

Parsimony

Thanks for your response.

For example let us classify three types of knowledge, knowledge by certainty of reason, knowledge by certainty of sight, and knowledge by certainty of experience.

This might be illustrated like thus:

1. When a person perceives smoke from a distance his mind conceives that smoke and fire are inseparable, and therefore where there is smoke there must be fire also. This would be knowledge by the certainty of reason.

2. Then on a nearer approach one sees the flames of the fire and that is knowledge by the certainty of sight.

3. Should one enter one’s hand into the fire, that would be knowledge by the certainty of experience.

Which one of the above gives 100% certainty to one, in your opinion?

Regards
Technically, none of them do. I could potentially hallucinate any one of those things if I had been poisoned by the right kind of chemical. Or those experiences could take place in a dream. Or we could be inside of a complex computer simulation and nothing that we experience is objectively real in the first place.

gnostic

The Lost One
Willamena said:
Truth is the source of knowledge.

But, whose "truth"?

Each religion believe they have "the truth"...but which one?

They all like to throw words around, like "truth", or "reality" or "peace", but they have corrupted them with their blind faith and their biases.

Because each one make a claim, truth has become subjective, just like one's personal opinion.

I like my knowledge to be more verifiable than any written scripture.

jonathan180iq

It is rational to ask this question when the sources are enumerated as:

Please give the percentage of certainty of the sources at the disposal of Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics, after mentioning all and giving the percentage of certainty against them, one by one.

Please

Regards

There are, literally, hundreds of thousands, if not millions of sources that you are unknowingly asking for.
Everything ever written by humans is part of the basis of human knowledge. Your premise is quite flawed - I think we all know where it's headed though...

fwrmux.jpg

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Hoyle rejected the Big Bang because he had an emotional attachment to his own pet idea, one that had no evidence to support it. .

yes, atheism

rational people understand that and don't pretend to achieve, or even seek, absolute certainty. That's the mark of an intellectually mature individual.

Those people call it faith

Last edited:

Harikrish

There are, literally, hundreds of thousands, if not millions of sources that you are unknowingly asking for.
Everything ever written by humans is part of the basis of human knowledge. Your premise is quite flawed - I think we all know where it's headed though...

fwrmux.jpg
It is harder than you think.
80% of Churchgoers Don't Read Bible Daily, LifeWay Survey Suggests

80% of Churchgoers Don't Read Bible Daily, LifeWay Survey Suggests | Gleanings | ChristianityToday.com

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

fwrmux.jpg

If there are many sources, one may classify them in three or four groups.

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
But, whose "truth"?

They all like to throw words around, like "truth", or "reality" or "peace", but they have corrupted them with their blind faith and their biases.

Because each one make a claim, truth has become subjective, just like one's personal opinion.

It is strange that Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics believe that Truth does exist, but cannot name a person who ever reached it or mention sources to reach it. Do they have blind-faith in Truth? Please

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is strange that Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics believe that Truth does exist, but cannot name a person who ever reached it or mention sources to reach it. Do they have blind-faith in Truth? Please

Regards

"Blind faith in truth"?

What do you mean? Is it at all strange that skeptics do not claim to know everything, nor to have access to something that does?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Regards

Who believes in Truth? *shudders*
Every time I see capital T for truth, I break out in hives. Put me in the 'No, I don't believe in Truth, but suppose you could say some things are true (factual) camp'. Sorry of that doesn't help your argument.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
It is strange that Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics believe that truth does exist, but cannot name a person who ever reached it or mention sources to reach it. Do they have blind-faith in truth? Please

Who believes in Truth? *shudders*
Every time I see capital T for truth, I break out in hives. Put me in the 'No, I don't believe in Truth, but suppose you could say some things are true (factual) camp'. Sorry of that doesn't help your argument.

I have changed the T of Truth to t of truth.
Now what is the change in your views?

Regards

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have changed the T of Truth to t of truth.
Now what is the change in your views?

Regards

Sure, truth exists. Most of it is of the mundane and uninformative variety, though.
For example, it's true that I live in Melbourne. It's also true that I would get a sharp pain if I smacked my foot with a hammer.

I'm not certain this is the sort of truth you're asking about though. What sort of truth ARE you asking about?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But, whose "truth"?
Yours, for you. Truth belongs to each of us.

The question is about atheist/agnostics. They do not look for "truth" in religious statements.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sure, truth exists. Most of it is of the mundane and uninformative variety, though.
For example, it's true that I live in Melbourne. It's also true that I would get a sharp pain if I smacked my foot with a hammer.

I'm not certain this is the sort of truth you're asking about though. What sort of truth ARE you asking about?

I mean the Absolute truth that is why I used capital T and not t.
There cannot be a relative truth if there exists no absolute Truth.

Regards

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I mean the Absolute truth that is why I used capital T and not t.
There cannot be a relative truth if there exists no absolute Truth.

Regards
Why not?

Morals exist, even if objective morals do not. Truth exists, even if absolute truth does not.

Personally I believe that some things are absolute truths, like 'slavery is immoral' for example.