• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics! What are your sources of knowledge?

Tiberius

Please don't be angry. It is a friendly discussion.
Please quote from me where I ever said that.
I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim who believe in the Word of Revelation from G-d which is called Recitation or in Arabic Quran. It is primarily a verbal transmission or Converse of G-d with the human kind through his truthful prophet Muhammad.
Regards

You just said it there.

Whenever you invoke your holy book as a source of evidence, you are holding it up and saying, "But I have this book, and it says..."

What you have is a bunch of old stories. They are not fact.

Tiberius

You did not get the wisdom in the verse, it was sufficient to convince one, if one is in search of truth , unbiased.
Regards

ACtually, it was Toby the magical kitten, who created the world, with a big yellow ball of yarn to give light in the day, and a smaller silver ball of yarn to give light at night. I know this is true, because my cat conveys the truth of Toby to me through the patterns he scratches on my sofa.

(And the reason you think the above is nonsense is exactly the same reason why I think your claims are nonsense.)

Shad

Veteran Member
Paarsurrey never made clear in his OP, what "knowledge" he is talking about. So many people have already asked him this very question.

Anytime someone asked him to clarify what he mean, he will either dismiss you or evade you.

In fact, he doesn't like direct questions, so he is quite infamous for it, especially on threads that he started himself.

There is a reason for this. He relies on apologetics for all his arguments. Direct questions ruin the scripted environment which is the nature of apologists. Direct questions put him on the spot thus force him to think for himself... the result of which does not come off well for him. If he can not find an apologist answer for the question it is dismissed (data not found). This is blatantly obvious when you compare threads which do not follow the script of the apologist route. These threads die fast then he moves back to the script and his comfort zone of repeating what some website claims.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
knowledge (n.)
early 12c., cnawlece "acknowledgment of a superior, honor, worship;" for first element see know (v.). Second element obscure, perhaps from Scandinavian and cognate with the -lock "action, process," found in wedlock. Meaning "capacity for knowing, understanding; familiarity; fact of knowing" is late 14c. Sense of "an organized body of facts or teachings" is from c. 1400, as is that of "sexual intercourse." Also a verb in Middle English, knoulechen"acknowledge" (c. 1200), later "find out about; recognize," and "to have sexual intercourse with" (c. 1300).
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=knowledge
Regards

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
You mean there was no Atheist/Agnostic/Skeptic (etc demoninations of the non-believers) before the invention of internet? Please
Regards
Well, your question was about where I get my knowledge. I didn't know I represented every atheist out there ever.

ArtieE

You mean there was no Atheist/Agnostic/Skeptic (etc demoninations of the non-believers) before the invention of internet? Please
Regards
You are also a non-believer. You are a non-believer in all the gods atheists don't believe in except one. Remember next time you comment on atheists that you are 99.9% atheist yourself.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We have much the same sources of knowledge as anyone else, and always had. It just turns out that the Internet is now one of them.

Even the Qur'an is a source of knowledge to us; translations of it to pretty much every major language are almost without exception easy to obtain for free, or nearly so.

Atheists can read them just like anyone else, and often do. It just does not particularly interests us.

Last edited:

Corthos

Great Old One
In other-wards Atheism people have no sources of knowledge as internet is a new phenomenon while Atheism existed before it. Right?
Regards

Are you saying the internet doesn't contain any information or archives that existed before the internet's creation?... What?...

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Are you saying the internet doesn't contain any information or archives that existed before the internet's creation?... What?...
No. Atheism existed say 200 years ago, internet was not existed then. I meant sources of all times.
Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why do you think there is any difference at all in atheists's sources of knowledge and anyone else's?

Is God speaking directly to you in some way that we do not perceive?

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
In other-wards Atheism people have no sources of knowledge as internet is a new phenomenon while Atheism existed before it. Right?
Regards
Yes. And therefore is your point that religious people get all of their knowledge only from their holy books? Because I'm pretty sure that religious people have gathered knowledge from other books too. Atheists just choose to get their knowledge from one less book than religious people.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes. And therefore is your point that religious people get all of their knowledge only from their holy books? Because I'm pretty sure that religious people have gathered knowledge from other books too. Atheists just choose to get their knowledge from one less book than religious people.
Not even that much difference.

We have just as much access to the Qur'an and other sacred books as anyone else.

We just don't trust them quite as much as some other people do.