1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics! What are your sources of knowledge?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by paarsurrey, Nov 6, 2014.

1. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,373
    Everybody could respond. Theists or Non-theists.

Regards

2. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,728
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Everything. Limiting your sources of knowledge is so... limiting. However, not all sources of knowledge are equal when it comes to particular applications.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification

Ratings:
    +12,959
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Uh, is there any particular reason why our sources of knowledge would be different from anyone else's?

• Like Like x 2
  4. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin

Ratings:
    +12,058
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    I sense a "philosophy is difficult, therefore God" argument coming.

• Like Like x 5
  5. jonathan180iq

jonathan180iq Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Everything is a source of knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Infinitum

Infinitum Possessed Bookworm

Ratings:
    +430
    Religion:
    Left-Hand Path
    I have to admit "everything" sums it up pretty nicely. Depending on the topic I either prefer sources that are as close to the original information as possible (e.g. archaeological finds, original texts, scientific studies, etc) but when that isn't possible I try to look for sources that use these. When I read books I favour the ones that are written by people with a good academic reputation and that include references to the sources they've been using (so I can look up the information on my own if I feel the need to). I value writers who look at a subject from many perspectives, and who use logical argumentation to show why they've come to a certain conclusion. To sum it up, I like sources that allow me to assess the information myself instead of simply being told what's true or not.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Disciple of Jesus

Disciple of Jesus Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,544
    As a skeptic my sources are different types of skepticism methods, everything from simple questioning of the 'source' of some information, to configuring possible arguments against a theory being presented.

Ps I noticed that wasn't quite the question you posed..My sources are all the usual and then some. With regards to religion, it is more about researching ideas and beliefs than trying to 'figure out' what the Scripture is saying.

#7 Disciple of Jesus, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +15,189
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    I personally don't describe myself as a skeptic. I just realize and acknowledge, not just admitting and knowing, that I know nothing.
    As for what is knowledge, everything we observe and take in is knowledge. There is something to be learned from everything.

9. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat

Ratings:
    +6,970
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Everything. Religion is an interesting source of knowledge, actually. Hence one of the reasons why I'm here.

• Like Like x 2
  10. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,373
    The believers of Religion have sources of knowledge like Word of Revelation from G-d in addition to the other sources available to the Atheists.

Regards

11. Ingledsva

Ingledsva HEATHEN ALASKAN

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Great replies! I agree with most of you. :)

Paarsurrey - There is no way to prove the "knowledge" in religious texts is true.

However there are interesting things to learn in all religious and philosophical texts.

12. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +11,728
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I disagree completely. Any literate human being can read the Bible and use it as a source of knowledge. It doesn't matter if one is atheist or theist.

• Like Like x 3
  13. KnightOwl

KnightOwl Member

Ratings:
    +23
    The Bible is among my knowledge sources. It was in fact, quite useful in helping me decide to be an atheist.

• Like Like x 4
  14. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +10,923
    Religion:
    None
    I have far too many sources of knowledge to list on an internet post.

By knowledge I mean " Beliefs I hold because the evidence is sufficient". The sources of that evidence are numerous and varied. A big factor in choosing them is the importance of the question.

But one thing I have noticed in my decades of life is that believers of Religion know less about reality than other people, in general. They are more likely to ignore evidence about what is true because it conflicts with something that they prefer to believe.

Tom

15. columbus

Ratings:
    +10,923
    Religion:
    None
    Me too.
    When I realised that the Bible did not include Jesus explaining the Trinity or the Problem of Evil or Heaven/Hell/Judgement or anything, I realised that Christianity was made up by people who didn't have a clue.

Tom

• Like Like x 1
  16. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +11,728
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I don't quite understand. There isn't a single religion of which I am aware that defines itself solely by reading and interpreting a sacred text (literally or otherwise). Why does adapting itself and breathing beyond the confines of a book mean it was made up by clueless people? I'm really not following your logic here.

17. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Ignorant Heathen Libertarian Capitalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +36,200
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Everything but religious works, bodice rippers, manga, Chaucer, fashion magazines, & academic journals.

18. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +15,189
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    I forget what manga it was, but I saw one that made the claim that zombie movies do better during better economic times while vampire movies do better during sluggish economic times. I then done a search to see if this claim is true, and I found an academic journal that mentioned it. So while we may all have different scape goats for the economic recession, we can all throw our rage at it for paving the ground for Twilight.

• Like Like x 1
  19. columbus

Ratings:
    +10,923
    Religion:
    None
    Sorry I was unclear.

What I meant was the Bible was written by people who were clueless about the later claims that traditonal Christians would make, such as "Trinitarian Monotheism". Lot's of Christians still have a literalist view. Despite reading Genesis, for example.

The fact that so many Christians don't put too much stock in the Scripture is , I think, quite in line with Jesus' teaching. One of my favorites of His meta-messages is "Do what is right, not what some ancient teaching tells you".

Tom

• Like Like x 1
  20. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +11,728
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Gotcha. That does clarify.