• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do atheist’s form some of their own ideas on how we got here and where we’re going or do they just believe what science tells them? Do they believe in anything that can’t be explained? Genuinely curious here. I know not all would have fantastical ideas but some? Any atheists out there who are different?
I can't answer for other atheists. But generally, we
don't get info about the nature of reality from gods.
It appears that most of us deal with the material world,
which is what science addresses. So many of us like it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Do atheist’s form some of their own ideas on how we got here and where we’re going or do they just believe what science tells them? Do they believe in anything that can’t be explained? Genuinely curious here. I know not all would have fantastical ideas but some? Any atheists out there who are different?

Kinda neither in my case, but it varies.

I don't follow science too much, and a lot of what I believe about the world is more based on experience, and placing various experiences into my world view to test them.

That's definitely not scientific, and is often not much more than gut feel, albeit I've been lucky enough to have a broad set of experiences.

I, personally, don't believe in literal magical/supernatural forces, but I would assume there are forces we either are unaware of, or misunderstand.

I also had a close friend in my youth who was not religious at all (maybe more agnostic than atheist) yet had strong belief in ghosts and the afterlife. Didn't make sense to me, but atheists vary.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as I know, people form their own ideas about the world around them under the influence of culture, personal preference, indoctrination, repetition, witnessing, preaching, science, wild ideas, values, politics and anything that influences thinking. I can't speak for them, but it is my opinion that the atheists I know on here seem to think practically and logically. I appreciate that. They are skeptical, but that doesn't mean they are in denial of the extraordinary. Just wanting evidence of it.

Are you asking if atheists view science as if it were a religion? I don't think so.

Science doesn't deal with the unfalsifiable and anything beyond that natural falls into that category. Science is about what can be tested and can be studied and practiced whether a person is an atheist, agnostic or any brand of theist. I accept science, but I'm not an atheist. I know you can't get all the answers using science and that mistakes have been made, but it is also a very robust means to learn about the world around us. Good grief, I'm talking to a @Moon. Without science and the application of the findings of science, I wouldn't be able to do that.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
As far as I know, people form their own ideas about the world around them under the influence of culture, personal preference, indoctrination, repetition, witnessing, preaching, science, wild ideas, values, politics and anything that influences thinking. I can't speak for them, but it is my opinion that the atheists I know on here seem to think practically and logically. I appreciate that. They are skeptical, but that doesn't mean they are in denial of the extraordinary. Just wanting evidence of it.

Are you asking if atheists view science as if it were a religion? I don't think so.

Science doesn't deal with the unfalsifiable and anything beyond that natural falls into that category. Science is about what can be tested and can be studied and practiced whether a person is an atheist, agnostic or any brand of theist. I accept science, but I'm not an atheist. I know you can't get all the answers using science and that mistakes have been made, but it is also a very robust means to learn about the world around us. Good grief, I'm talking to a @Moon. Without science and the application of the findings of science, I wouldn't be able to do that.
Computers are the result of applied scientific endeavors, but it doesn't prove evolution. Testing in a controlled environment and introducing elements or electricity is not proving evolution by tests. I know it may be hard for some to get it straight -- but -- that's the way it is.

YoursTrue

It is practical to realize that it is not natural for humans to die, despite what many scientists may say. By "scientist" I mean to include those believing in evolution. Atheists may be happy to think they will die as programmed, but there are many who really don't want to die. Which is why many go to doctors. And vaccines have been formed by scientists. Is the idea of looking forward to death testable? Probably if you take a survey.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Computers are the result of applied scientific endeavors, but it doesn't prove evolution. Testing in a controlled environment and introducing elements or electricity is not proving evolution by tests. I know it may be hard for some to get it straight -- but -- that's the way it is.
The principles are the same even if the methodology is different.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is practical to realize that it is not natural for humans to die, despite what many scientists may say. By "scientist" I mean to include those believing in evolution. Atheists may be happy to think they will die as programmed, but there are many who really don't want to die. Which is why many go to doctors. And vaccines have been formed by scientists. Is the idea of looking forward to death testable? Probably if you take a survey.
People are animals. Animals die. What is not natural about that. Yes, we do all have a fear of death, but making up fairy tales will not change anything.

YoursTrue

People are animals. Animals die. What is not natural about that. Yes, we do all have a fear of death, but making up fairy tales will not change anything.
You will not be able to convince me that humans' perception of death is similar to that of animals. No, you say people are animals. I say they are not unless, of course, they act like animals.
Animals have an inborn instinct of self-preservation. But they do not have insurance policies. Or projections as to what happens afterwards. No, sir. Humans are vastly different in terms of that.

YoursTrue

The principles are the same even if the methodology is different.
I am not speaking of scientific principles regarding computers in that sense, perhaps you know that. Birds build nests. They do not have to figure things out with textbooks and trial and error or learning from teachers. Similarly with bees.

We Never Know

No Slack

"Yes, we do all have a fear of death"

We? You have a mouse in your pocket?

Death is part of life. We all start dying the day we are born(some say conceived).

Whats to fear? "Life" is the longest thing any of us will do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You will not be able to convince me that humans' perception of death is similar to that of animals. No, you say people are animals. I say they are not unless, of course, they act like animals.
Animals have an inborn instinct of self-preservation. But they do not have insurance policies. Or projections as to what happens afterwards. No, sir. Humans are vastly different in terms of that.
It is obviously similar with some of the more intelligent animals. It is merely not as intense.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am not speaking of scientific principles regarding computers in that sense, perhaps you know that. Birds build nests. They do not have to figure things out with textbooks and trial and error or learning from teachers. Similarly with bees.
And knowledge can be programmed in through genetics. As to whether birds have to learn how to build nests, can you prove that? Do they make them correctly the first time out? I am not so sure about that.

Audie

Veteran Member
Hard for some to get it straight. :D

Your failure to comprehend ToE
is made understandable by observing your
failure to recognize, no matter how many times
you are told and have it explained, that science
does not do proof, no theory can ever be proved.

Your arguments are all with your own incapacity.

Last edited:

wellwisher

Atheism is like a mirror world that reflects a reverse image of religion. It is more than just the single issue of belief in God or not as the definition says. If Religion says X, Atheism will say minus X. It is in this mirror, where Atheism can get irrational. It can never give any credit for anything good in religion. It has to dwell on negatives.

For example, both religion and science say there are two sexes; purpose of sex is reproduction and not dress up. But since religion says this, they will ignore this claim by science. Cherry picking science is not science.

It reminds me of a jilted lover who can think of nothing good to say, even if many good things happened. This chip on the shoulder; mirror, is where Atheism gets irrational, even to science and truth. It is often more about politics and negative data stacking than the search for truth in all things.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheism is like a mirror world that reflects a reverse image of religion. It is more than just the single issue of belief in God or not as the definition says. If Religion says X, Atheism will say minus X. It is in this mirror, where Atheism can get irrational. It can never give any credit for anything good in religion. It has to dwell on negatives.

For example, both religion and science say there are two sexes; purpose of sex is reproduction and not dress up. But since religion says this, they will ignore this claim by science. Cherry picking science is not science.

It reminds me of a jilted lover who can think of nothing good to say, even if many good things happened. This chip on the shoulder; mirror, is where Atheism gets irrational, even to science and truth. It is often more about politics and negative data stacking than the search for truth in all things.
Sheesh.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Oh my, there really are negatives in religions - who would have thought? :eek:

Many of us will point out that the benefits don't outweigh the negatives, that is all, and hence why have such?

Audie

Veteran Member

What is it about religionism that gives
people the idea they are entitled to just
make up stupid and false claims against
people they don't know, still less understand?

The same mentality also lets religionists think
that with zero study or effort, they know more than any
researcher on earth.

And say thems as don't accept their garbage are itrational.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Oh my, there really are negatives in religions - who would have thought? :eek:

Many of us will point out that the benefits don't outweigh the negatives, that is all, and hence why have such?

Because you can learn another version of religion and learn to do it as natural and not supernatural. But as long as you believe that all religion is supernatural and don't check your own thinking, you will continue to treat all religion as supernatural. That is not a fact, that is you doing that.