• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Atheist churches" lose members

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The article pointed out this which I think accurately reflects the death of atheist "churches"

“Meeting in a building with the same group of people every week … I don’t think there’s any natural need for that,” ...
For many nones, however, their lack of religion is not a strong part of their identity.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear forum,

They Tried to Start a Church Without God. For a While, It Worked.

the article linked above describes the phenomenon of atheist "Sunday assemblies" losing members and gives various reasons for this tendency. Please discuss.

I considered attending my local Sunday Assembly, but I'll be honest: when I looked online, all the folks in their pictures were older white people. It looked like a typical Episcopal congregation. The lack of diversity and people my age turned me off.

The article also makes an interesting point about trying to attend church after your belief in God goes away. I've attended a very progressive, LGBT friendly Methodist church with my partner since we've been together, but honestly even with their incredibly open, social justice-oriented message that I often agree with, without being a theist I'm left feeling like, why am I going through these motions? Isn't there a better metaphorical vehicle for these messages than Christianity or the Bible?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I never could see the idea taking off, the only commonality is nothing. How do you build a church of nothing.

A much better idea would be a weekly meeting at a bar or football match.

Terry Sampson

• The article pointed out this which I think accurately reflects the death of atheist "churches"
    “Meeting in a building with the same group of people every week … I don’t think there’s any natural need for that,” ...
    For many nones, however, their lack of religion is not a strong part of their identity.
    • I concur; however, ...
  • Note @Jim take a look at the article in the link and see if there's any food for thought that you can chew on.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I never could see the idea taking off, the only commonality is nothing. How do you build a church of nothing.

If the church and a wet bar and pool hall in the basement, or even tables for board games, etc. then it would probably be more active, but then it would be more like a club than a church. And that's the thing, non religious people can find clubs to fill the void left by leaving their religion/church behind.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Well the Church of atheism is more of a statement then anything else.

There are far more interesting organizations i would think.

Like...

The Brights

The National Secular Society

American Atheists

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If the church and a wet bar and pool hall in the basement, or even tables for board games, etc. then it would probably be more active, but then it would be more like a club than a church. And that's the thing, non religious people can find clubs to fill the void left by leaving their religion/church behind.

My dad had a childhood friend that became a vicar. In the 1970s his church began to wane. It got to the stage that he had to arranged with the landlords if the local pubs that he hold his services in the *back* room of the pubs every sunday.

Services held with beer on hand were a great success.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
When you've seen the last straw, there's something poking you, in the butt !!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
An atheist church? It makes me think of the movie The Breakfast Club where they're talking about the physics club. They get together and talk about physics, properties of physics. It's sort of social.