• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism...the religion of...science?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
spookboy0 said:
A theist's morale doesn't alter or change He is much sturdier, or stubborn, in his beliefs, after testing them for falsehood and putting himself through trials.
However, an atheist's morale can change and is more apt to change at the sight of evidence that "proves" him right. He gladly goes on without checking for flaws.
One would think that such an expert as you would, at the very least, know the difference between morale and morality. That aside, your comments are laughable. Learn before you deign to teach.

gnostic

The Lost One
Why do theists make assumptions that all atheists are involved in science?

Many atheists are not involved in science, nor do they care about science.

Equally silly is the assumption that all communists are atheists. Stereotyping atheism with one group or another is just as bad as assuming all Christians are Catholics, or all Jews/Israelis follow Judaism, or all Muslims are terrorists.

It rather ridiculous to assume that all atheism follow science. Science and religion should be separate, just as I think separation of State and Religion is required in governing of nation (politics). I don't think of religion is the root of evil, but they can be source of problem when religions interfere with either science and politics. You must admit that various religions exhibit sometimes ill-conceived biased against those who don't follow their belief. Christianity have in the past hinder and persecute those who don't accept science or politics in their "way", even today they tried to interfere with people's lives. Islam, all those Muslims, have similar step backward because they believe their faith demand them to take such action (eg jihad).

spookboy0

gnostic said:
Why do theists make assumptions that all atheists are involved in science?
What do they think created this place if they don't believe some higher power didn't? I'm not trying to be a royal prick or anything, but seriously. The only other explanation I've heard is Evolution. What else is there?

gnostic

The Lost One
Have you met many atheists, spookboy?
Not many atheists care a fib about evolution, just as they don't give a damn about religions or gods. Christians make too many presumptions about "all atheists" being evolutionists. Well, they are not. Do you really think that all scientists are atheists or the other way around?
Stop stereotyping atheists and scientists.

linwood

spookboy0 said:
What do they think created this place if they don't believe some higher power didn't? I'm not trying to be a royal prick or anything, but seriously. The only other explanation I've heard is Evolution. What else is there?
Most atheists don`t claim to know.
Considering nobody "knows" most atheists figure the most sensible answer is "I don`t know".

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
gnostic said:
Christians make too many presumptions about "all atheists" being evolutionists.
You mean... like the assumption YOU just made about Christians? Bwahahahahaha! I am sure that for every assumption that a Christian makes, there are as many equally falacious assumptions made by atheists towards Christians. Stop stereotyping Christians and scientists! :D

Fade

The Great Master Bates
hero said:
Any time I have tried to debate with an atheist about religion, all I here is how and why science concludes and proves all that they debate for. Has it then become an atheist belief, or a means of defying God???
I am an atheist because I see no evidence for the existence of God. I am by no means a scientist nor fluent in the art. Science was certainly not the source of my disbelief.

However, a simple look around the world I live in provides me with enough evidence for the lack of a God in the Brahman sense. I see no miracles, no angels nor demons, no dead people returning to life, no ghost or spirits and certainly didn't get an answer to the prayers i offered as a child who didn't know any better. All I see is a world that is gradually becoming less and less complex as we learn more about it. The God of the Gaps is fast running out of places to hide.

In terms of the world we now live in God or the concept of God is utterly irrelavant and to my mind nothing more than dangerous superstition.

Bangbang

Fade said:
In terms of the world we now live in God or the concept of God is utterly irrelavant and to my mind nothing more than dangerous superstition.
I feel the same way.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Bangbang said:
I feel the same way.
Cool. I have more to add though.

I also feel the claim that belief in a God provides a reason for living is utterly absurd. I mean what's the point if everything in our lives is based on the whim of some higher entity. Belief in God to me would be utterly depressing.

And why create us like we are. I mean have you ever looked at the human anus? *** is up with that? Why bother with poo at all? If I was God the world would be a far less smelly place. :D

Bangbang

Fade said:
Cool. I have more to add though.

I also feel the claim that belief in a God provides a reason for living is utterly absurd. I mean what's the point if everything in our lives is based on the whim of some higher entity. Belief in God to me would be utterly depressing.

And why create us like we are. I mean have you ever looked at the human anus? *** is up with that? Why bother with poo at all? If I was God the world would be a far less smelly place. :D
:biglaugh:

hero

flupke said:
For somebody who goes on about overuse of 'pride', you definitely have quite some. I see 2 options:

1. you don't know anything about logic and therefore don't see you're wrong
2. you're too proud to admit you're wrong
3. you know you're wrong but you just want to create some havoc 'for the hack of it'

Whatever your reasons, you won't get respect in either case.

And for the small chance that you really DO believe you know logic: show me what's missing. You have the typical reasoning of a 15-year old who doesn't want to admit being wrong even when being completely overpowered.
For someone who thinks they have me "overpowered" you obviously are the one delusional with pride. Who said I was looking for respect. No offense, but in reality, all I can see of you is a screen. As much as I would love to receive your respect, not going to happen in any case, I wont hold my breath. Respect is not a privelage, but something freely given. So for you to call it such indicates who the prideful one really is. You are the one who feels superior why?? Because of my age. I would not make a statement that I do not hold truth in. First, you said you had two options and listed to three, neither of which was even an option, but an opinion. Are you even addressing the argument in this reply? Because it seems you are more interested in attacking the person rather than their argument. Is this desperation, or did you just run out of sensible arguments and through pride and anger decide to take it out on me? Because truly you have made a statement of your own cause. You made an equation for something and had missing variables. If that doesnt make sense to you then by no right do you say that I am lacking logic. PS-try getting a dictionary

log·ic [lójjik]
n
1. philosophy theory of reasoning: the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of deductive and inductive arguments and aims to distinguish good from bad reasoning
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

hero

painted wolf said:
um... dude... that is logic.

Logic isn't always right... but it is always logic.

wa:do
3. sensible argument and thought: sensible rational thought and argument rather than ideas that are influenced by emotion or whim
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

If you people wont to take everything literally, brake out a dictionary. I called it irrational...happy. The reasoning is horrible, thus logic too is broken at its foundation.
:cool:

Steve

Id say Evolution is the religion of Atheism, not science.
Science is an investigation of our world/universe, evolution is an idea believed to be supported by science.
Science does not equal evolution.
Whats interesting is the number of well regarded scientists in our history who were creationists eg. Sir Isaac Newton, Louis Pasteur, Lord Kelvin.
There are many scientists who dont believe in evolution, some can be found here - http://www.answersingenesis.org/Home/Area/bios/default.asp

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Typical. Point to Scientists who were Deists and claim that this refutes evolution as a science.

:rolleyes: *BIG SIGH*

Steve

Fade said:
Typical. Point to Scientists who were Deists and claim that this refutes evolution as a science.

:rolleyes: *BIG SIGH*
:bonk:
Did you even read my post?
I did not claim that because some Deists are scientists that evolution is not a science.
My point was that science is not the religion of atheism, if anything is it would be evolution and that evolution is not the be all and end all of science.
Its a theory many scientists believe is supported by science and its a theory many scientists believe is not supported by science.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Steve said:
:bonk:
Did you even read my post?
I did not claim that because some Deists are scientists that evolution is not a science.
My point was that science is not the religion of atheism, if anything is it would be evolution and that evolution is not the be all and end all of science.
Its a theory many scientists believe is supported by science and its a theory many scientists believe is not supported by science.
Do you even know what a religion is? Please explain to me how the theory of evolution is a religion.
FYI , atheism has nothing to do with evolution or religion for that matter. Trying to connect them in the way that you are is dishonest.

Steve

Fade said:
Do you even know what a religion is? Please explain to me how the theory of evolution is a religion.
FYI , atheism has nothing to do with evolution or religion for that matter. Trying to connect them in the way that you are is dishonest.
The title of this thread is - "Atheism...the religion of...science? "
Again - My point was that science is not the religion of atheism, if anything is it would be evolution and that evolution is not the be all and end all of science.
I didnt make a connection between atheism and its "religion" just continuing the theme of the thread, you just dont like my answer so you call me dishonest.

Id say that if anything is it would be evolution because it is followed dogmatically with plennty of "just so" stories to try and save it from those skeptical of it, contrary to popular opionion i believe it takes alot of faith to believe the theory and that many believe if with such a passion that the evidence dosnt warrant - these are some of the parallels between some of those who follow a religion and some of those who believe in evolution.
This is why i said if anything was the religion of atheism i think evolution would be.

And besides do you really believe that for most atheists evolution donst play a part in their worldview, if so id say your being incredibly ignorant.
Why would people such as dawkins make comments like - "Darwin made
it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist"? Also i know that if i didnt believe in a creator then id still want to know how we got here, evolution would be an obvious choice to try and fill my quest for answers.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Steve said:
The title of this thread is - "Atheism...the religion of...science? "
Again - My point was that science is not the religion of atheism, if anything is it would be evolution and that evolution is not the be all and end all of science.
I didnt make a connection between atheism and its "religion" just continuing the theme of the thread, you just dont like my answer so you call me dishonest.
Again, why do you think evolution is a religion? There is nothing remotely like religion in the theory of evolution. You are right I don't like your answer but that's not why I'm calling it dishonest. I'm calling it dishonest because that is what it is.

Steve said:
Id say that if anything is it would be evolution because it is followed dogmatically with plennty of "just so" stories to try and save it from those skeptical of it, contrary to popular opionion i believe it takes alot of faith to believe the theory and that many believe if with such a passion that the evidence dosnt warrant - these are some of the parallels between some of those who follow a religion and some of those who believe in evolution.
Repeating yourself does not make your point any more valid. Belief in evolution does not make evolution a religion.

steve said:
And besides do you really believe that for most atheists evolution donst play a part in their worldview, if so id say your being incredibly ignorant.
I don't think it's as big a part as you seem to think it is.

steve said:
Why would people such as dawkins make comments like - "Darwin made
it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist"? Also i know that if i didnt believe in a creator then id still want to know how we got here, evolution would be an obvious choice to try and fill my quest for answers.
Because evolution helps one rationalise ones disbelief. If anything Evolution is a tool to help batter religion back into the dark ages where it belongs. But it is not just evolution that is doing this. Science in general is taking us further from our superstitions. Cosmology is having a good crack at it if you ask me.