• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism...the religion of...science?

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Ahh, I see that while I was posting the above, you edited your previous post to make it clear those were your thoughts and not mine. Please ignore the portions of my post just above this one which are related to that which has been remedied.

B.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
It's amazing how a missing "/" can screw everything up. Sorry for the confusion, and I never claimed to be perfect!

Cowrebellion

My bad I thought there was only the first page on this topic not 29 o_O.Any way my first comment
Well an atheist does not believe in gods so what else is there to proof the non-existence of gods?
*btw proof should've been prove*
I meant that without a belief in gods science is the next logical choice to back up your own point of view.

Bad grammar aside, the comment is nonsense.
Bad Grammar? I forgot a comma but that's all. And yes science can prove everything.

What are you babbling about?
An athiest needs nothing to prove his point. To an athiest (like me) God does not exist! No proof is not needed. So science is not needed to prove his point just logical thinking.

sky87

how do you just become an atheist? you talk about logical thought, well how is it "logical" to not believe in god? how do you back up this belief? one day you just decide that there is no god? you should have a reasonable explanation for it, and i'd like to hear one.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Easy, you open your eyes and stop being scared, and realise all religions are based on terribly unreliable accounts of storied, which would be more at home in a psychodelic film or something. Surely it isnt logical to blindly obey an ancient book that tells you everything about the world, sums it up in a handy pocket guide, surely the world isnt all that simple? We have moved on from earth air fire and water, catch up :p

Peace x

Ormiston

sky87 said:
how do you just become an atheist? you talk about logical thought, well how is it "logical" to not believe in god? how do you back up this belief? one day you just decide that there is no god? you should have a reasonable explanation for it, and i'd like to hear one.
It's easy. One way is to be introduced to a religion as a child. What I mean is, not being raised from birth with a family that follows a religion but later, maybe at the age of eight or ten. You've got a mind full of questions and no real firm biases (because your parents just didn't bring religion up to you). Then your introduced to the religion and offered answers to these questions about life that you have in your mind. You feel empowered by your new found insights and also accepted by this new community (your church or whatever). You try as hard as you can to pray and you TRULY believe! Then the initial effects start to wear off and you start to mature and have doubts based on your own observations. You come to realize that you're not at church to think but to follow. You realize that the only way you can belong is to abandon your own thoughts and trust these people and this book. Eventually, you can no longer put up the fascad and you quit the church. If you are angry enough about it, you could simply avoid the whole issue all together and deny God and that's that. At least that was my experience. You could also just conclude that God doesn't exist. Simple. And, just to answer the question ahead of time, I know longer feel this way. I've accepted that I simply don't know whether God exists or not.

Ormiston

Atheist_Dave said:
Easy, you open your eyes and stop being scared, and realise all religions are based on terribly unreliable accounts of storied, which would be more at home in a psychodelic film or something. Surely it isnt logical to blindly obey an ancient book that tells you everything about the world, sums it up in a handy pocket guide, surely the world isnt all that simple? We have moved on from earth air fire and water, catch up :p

Peace x
One question Dave. Do you, as an atheist, understand why people DO believe in God? Have you ever had say a "God-impulse"?

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
I was a christian, i believed whole heartedly that God made me, the earth and the universe. I remember how good it did feel to be special, then one day I saw a docu on chimps.... you guessed it, I saw myself. (no jokes please) But I grew happy with it, I realised, maybe all this stuff Ive been fed isnt true, thats when the hunt for evidence started, and of course, there is none.

I realise my belief was just a "safe place", I dont miss it. I do understand why people believe, for me, it was easy, there was no need to search for the truth, it was all there.

Peace x

sky87

Mr Spinkles said:
Define "god".
depends on what you consider "god", everyone has different ideas, for most, god is a higher power, the all-knower, the creator of the universe, he is outside the natural realm. a higher energy basically, but from my beliefs, i can't define god specifically mainly because we believe that we don't test him, he tests us, we don't need to see him, he sees us, etc; hope that answers your question :eek:

sky87 said:
depends on what you consider "god", everyone has different ideas, for most, god is a higher power, the all-knower, the creator of the universe, he is outside the natural realm. a higher energy basically, but from my beliefs, i can't define god specifically mainly because we believe that we don't test him, he tests us, we don't need to see him, he sees us, etc; hope that answers your question :eek:
It does answer my question, thanks. :)

Now I should answer your question: "How is it logical to not believe in god?"

I guess my answer is that I have no tools available by which to judge the validity of any supernatural claim. If I believed in one god, which I cannot test or see or understand, why would I then reject all the other possible gods/supernatural beings, none of which I can test or see or understand? I don't believe in your god for the same reason that I do not believe in the Egyptian gods or the Greek gods.

It would have been very difficult for the Greeks to imagine a universe without a pantheon of gods running it, just as it is difficult for you to imagine a universe without your god running it. But I wouldn't call either view "illogical". As for me, I cannot deny that all of these gods *could* exist; but I simply don't take the possibility very seriously.