• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism converts

Gui10

I dont think I ever really believed in a god, but my vision was blurry. Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins, mainly, have cleared some fog out my mind.

Hufflechuff

the-jesus-mysteries-the-original-jesus-was-a-pagan-god.jpg

Satyamavejayanti

The Bible, Koran, Torah, Vedas and any other theistic book.

Now im not Atheist, but i would agree with you that reading The Vedas, i to kinda think that they do not advocate any God or Gods in particular or at all, i find them to be quite Agnostic literature in some places, sometimes leaning to Atheism in some Mantras where Long life, wealth, knowledge and happiness in general are praised, Like in some Mantras says that only by doing good deeds can one hope to live a happy life to 100 years, but again in some there is reference to "Tat" that or the One which people assume to mean a God but in saying this it is really hard to find good English translations of the Vedas, plus each word has many meanings which is up to the translator to choose to fit the subject and the context of the Mantra, i am a believer so i choose to put God in the translations, non believers tend to stick natural forces and nature worship. Just my two cents.

Alceste

Vagabond
what Author helped you decide and/or reaffirmed your atheism?

Mine was Victor J. Stenger with God: The Failed Hypothesis. Richard Dawkins reaffirmed and expanded it the most. Have to thank Darwin as well.

I didn't need help deciding. The first book I encountered that reflected my own independently constructed philosophy back at me in a clear and lucid fashion was the Tao te Ching, and I was quite impressed with it (while still recognizing that particular book can reflect whatever you want back at you).

I'd say When God Was a Woman and Hero With 1000 Faces were fairly influential in developing a sense of the origin and context for many of the myths from my own cultural background, but I confess I didn't finish either of those books.

It's possible that Star Wars settled the matter for me when I was very young - few religious teachers have been more influential in my spiritual life than Yoda, and I am still one of those jerks who writes "Jedi" on my census form under religion, even after Phantom Menace.

I obsessively read fiction as a child - especially fantasy fiction with wizards, unicorns, magic, etc. I think I assumed that the religious stories I heard in church were in that same category all along (just crappier stories). Nobody ever told me otherwise. In fact, I still think they're in the same category, which is not so much irreverence for the value of religion as it is reverence for the value of fiction.

Anyway, to sum up, all the books. Everything I've ever read. And I have read a lot of books. Oh my God, so many books. Religious, non-religious, fiction, non-fiction - all of it refines, defines, enriches, affirms and confirms my non-theistic world view.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't want to convert you, I'm just saying that gods with different attributes need different arguments against them.

But anymore I think the question of atheism/theism is useless anyways.

Pretty sure a lot of people in this part of the boards would speak to a lack of reason to believe in a God, that science is a better method for understanding the world around us, and for a general view that religion is constructed by humans. That applies regardless of the nature of the theism you are discussing.

The particular 'inconsistencies' of the religions would obviously differ but taken at a high enough level, the argument is actually the same.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've been an atheist as far back as I can remember. It just took a while to realize it.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.

Mine was Victor J. Stenger with God: The Failed Hypothesis. Richard Dawkins reaffirmed and expanded it the most. Have to thank Darwin as well.

Don't know Stenger, Dawkins is deluded, Darwin is dead. Presumably you don't understand Genesis then?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Don't know Stenger, Dawkins is deluded, Darwin is dead. Presumably you don't understand Genesis then?

I guess that depends on what you mean by understand. I will say it has no literal or figurative truth.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Some questions:

1. Is it converting, de-converting or are we all born atheists and this is just a reversion?
2. If one of my parents are atheists, do I still need to go through said process?
3. If so, does it go by either parent, mother or father?
4. If I become an atheist and then convert to a religion, does that mean I was never a true atheist to begin with?
5. If I like the atheistic path but want to retain my belief in G-d, is there a syncretic path for me to follow?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Some questions:

1. Is it converting, de-converting or are we all born atheists and this is just a reversion?
2. If one of my parents are atheists, do I still need to go through said process?
3. If so, does it go by either parent, mother or father?
4. If I become an atheist and then convert to a religion, does that mean I was never a true atheist to begin with?
5. If I like the atheistic process but want to retain my belief in G-d, is there a syncretic path for me to follow?

Thanks for the help guys.

#5. Transtheism perhaps? Pantheism? Agnostism? Deism?

Nymphs

Atheism really isn't a religion for me, but what lead me to logic and the non-secular was Bart Ehrman.