• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism converts

what Author helped you decide and/or reaffirmed your atheism?

Mine was Victor J. Stenger with God: The Failed Hypothesis. Richard Dawkins reaffirmed and expanded it the most. Have to thank Darwin as well.
I suppose I would say excerpts from David Hume, Thomas Jefferson, and Socrates. And especially, the documentaries of Carl Sagan and James Randi.

These authors did not make me stop believing in God, as their writings barely mentioned God (the writings I read years ago, anyway). But they did persuade me of the importance of science and skepticism, and the ubiquity of popular superstitions. And that ultimately lead me to doubt theism.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I suppose I would say excerpts from David Hume, Thomas Jefferson, and Socrates. And especially, the documentaries of Carl Sagan and James Randi.

These authors did not make me stop believing in God, as their writings barely mentioned God (the writings I read years ago, anyway). But they did persuade me of the importance of science and skepticism, and the ubiquity of popular superstitions. And that ultimately lead me to doubt theism.

Good point its not always straight forward but sometimes just showing you a way to think and see. In my case it put validite to my thoughts and feelings and brought be to the relization

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
not sure it was any particular author. Although the debate between WLC and Andrew Pyle started my search. I guess it was mostly down to youtube atheists than any particular book.

cottage

Mine was Victor J. Stenger with God: The Failed Hypothesis. Richard Dawkins reaffirmed and expanded it the most. Have to thank Darwin as well.

As a religious sceptic I've always made a point reading works by theists, from the famous to the obscure, while being in the general habit of not reading works by confirmed atheists, ie those whose philosophy is a fierce polemic against belief in God. (in order to avoid the effects of a self-affirming prophecy). But I broke that self-imposed rule when I bought a copy of The God Delusion. It is difficult to disagree with much of what Dawkins says, although he does come across as ranting in some respects. However I must give him due credit for this remark: 'Mystics exult in mystery and want it to stay mysterious. Scientists exult in mystery for a different reason: it gives them something to do.' He goes on to say that religion teaches us that it is a virtue to be satisfied with not understanding. So true.

Iti oj

Premium Member
As a religious sceptic I've always made a point reading works by theists, from the famous to the obscure, while being in the general habit of not reading works by confirmed atheists, ie those whose philosophy is a fierce polemic against belief in God. (in order to avoid the effects of a self-affirming prophecy). But I broke that self-imposed rule when I bought a copy of The God Delusion. It is difficult to disagree with much of what Dawkins says, although he does come across as ranting in some respects. However I must give him due credit for this remark: 'Mystics exult in mystery and want it to stay mysterious. Scientists exult in mystery for a different reason: it gives them something to do.' He goes on to say that religion teaches us that it is a virtue to be satisfied with not understanding. So true.
I read equally parts both. I like to read atheist works because it allows me to better discuss things and make my points. I read theist works for intellectually honesty and curiosit. For a sense of fairness to myself. Good quote I'm glad you bring it up. last night me and my friend were reflecting on this line.

Iti oj

Premium Member
In my example i had already felt the lack of faith but was able to define it and realize through the book i read.

Enlighten

The bible.

Edit: I have to add, I don't know what I am when it comes to labels, but the bible certainly helped me move away from religion.

Bob L

Matt Dillahunty of The Atheist Experience. Not an author, but my biggest influence nonetheless.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I was already convinced before reading atheistic books, and I hardly ever read, but afterwards I read a book that kinda made me more "atheist" like, I was more of an agnostic and apathetic. It was probably one of the rare philosophy books I can read and not get bored: Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev.

Actually now that I think of it, the Bible moved me away from religion, like the other posters above ^.

I could plainly see that both Old and New Testaments were at odds with scientific fact (miracles, etc.). At my Catholic high school they actually taught us a little apologetics ... meaning they showed us problems (e.g. contradictions in the New Testament) and then the "answers" to the problems. I found the answers entirely transparent and unconvincing.

Hexagon

Uh... I had my doubts at 7, officially became atheist at 12. The idea of a deity just seemed like it didn't make sense. It still doesn't.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
The Bible, plain and simple. I read some Atheist material from Hitchens and Dawkins, but none of them really affected me in the same way as having grown up with all those Biblical stories. There is however one person who clearly helped me on my road to non-theism, and that's evid3nc3 on Youtube.

jasonwill2

I want to ask a question because im honestly confused...

Why does one the cruelty or impossibility of one version of a god for so many of you (christian), out-rule the idea of other god concepts?

Iti oj

Premium Member
I want to ask a question because im honestly confused...

Why does one the cruelty or impossibility of one version of a god for so many of you (christian), out-rule the idea of other god concepts?

Because the same arguments work. And pantheism is sexed up atheism just fyi

jasonwill2

Because the same arguments work. And pantheism is sexed up atheism just fyi

Are you seriously telling me that the arguments against a monotheistic all-powerful and all loving god work against a polytheistic and finitely powerful and war-like god of war? That is just one example.

Naturalistic pantheism is. There is theistic pantheism which is not at all 'sexed up atheism'. As well as panentheism.

This.

Iti oj

Premium Member
yeah give me a god and an argument against a mono god and ill convert it

jasonwill2

yeah give me a god and an argument against a mono god and ill convert it

I don't want to convert you, I'm just saying that gods with different attributes need different arguments against them.

But anymore I think the question of atheism/theism is useless anyways.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I don't want to convert you, I'm just saying that gods with different attributes need different arguments against them.

But anymore I think the question of atheism/theism is useless anyways.
thats not what i meant by convert:facepalm: facepalm myself it was a poor word choice
but they are the same type of arguments